Beware of Cannonballs and Fuses - I love the NJ shore!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Discovery of Old Ammo Halts Beach Replenishment

SURF CITY, N.J. (AP) -- Come to the Jersey shore and have a blast!

That could become the region's new motto, particularly after unexploded ammunition from long-ago wars recently surfaced in Ocean County.

Old ammunition from World War II shut down a section of beach replenishment work on Long Beach Island Monday - the same day that an unexploded cannonball a man found elsewhere in the county, and took home, caused an evacuation requiring a bomb squad.

Following the discovery of five World War II bomb fuses in the sand dredged up from offshore, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has closed a section of the Surf City's beach that's in the process of being restored.

A resident with a metal detector found the first fuse Friday morning. Since then, another resident and beach workers found four more believed to be from American explosives.

"Right now with this, it makes me very concerned about the safety of the beachgoers,'' Long Beach Township resident Peter Trainor told the Asbury Park Press for Tuesday's newspapers.

Ed Voigt, an Army Corps spokesman, said there is no danger to the public, but added it could take weeks to check the beach completely. That work should be done before summer, he said.

The fuses are 1 to 2 inches in diameter and 9 inches long. They still contain powder, but would need to be struck to activate, authorities said.

"In Atlantic waters it's not rare,'' Voigt said. "We do actually have in some projects, in Delaware, where we actually had screens on the intake pipe because we already knew there was a likelihood of finding (ordnance) there.''

However, he said there was "no prior evidence of anything like that in this area.''

In an unrelated incident, a bomb squad on Monday had to dispose of an old cannonball, possibly hundreds of years old, that a Seaside Park man found near the Toms River and took home with him.

Sean DeGroot told the newspaper he found the cannonball buried under two feet of sand Friday in South Toms River while using a metal detector.

He put the ball in a bucket of water, placed it in his truck and took it home, where he started poking at it with a butter knife.

"I was taking the rusted iron off, and then I found a fuse in it,'' DeGroot said. He said he could "smell the gunpowder.''

He researched the device on the Internet, found instructions to call the Navy, and did so. That resulted in bomb squads from the State Police and Earle Naval Weapons Station in Colts Neck to respond and evacuate the area near his apartment while the cannonball was removed.

J. Mark Mutter, a local historian, said the cannonball could have been used when the British attacked the Toms River in 1778 or 1782. Or, he said it could have been thrown overboard from a ship which was too heavy to move in a low tide on the river.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neil,
I'm not sure. The article did not say. This just happened so there may be more news to follow.
NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
--- It looks like the cannonball will be destroyed.

Cannonball washes up on N.J. beach; bomb squad carts it away

March 6, 2007

A member of New Jersey State Police bomb squad removes canonball in a bucket filled with water.

SEASIDE PARK, N.J. — Sean DeGroot hoped that the black powder-filled iron ball he found could be saved for posterity — but the state police bomb squad said "No way."

DeGroot, 33, found what appeared to be a cannonball Friday buried in 2 feet of sand off Crabbe Road in South Toms River while he was combing the riverfront with his metal detector.

Intrigued, DeGroot put the ball in a bucket of water and placed it in his truck. At home, he started tinkering with it and researching its possibilities.

"I was taking the rusted iron off, and then I found a fuse in it," DeGroot said, adding that he had pried away the rust on the ball with a butter knife until he came to a circular hole where ropelike matter was stuffed in the ball. He said he could "smell the gunpowder."

He went to the Internet for help and found instructions to contact the U.S. Navy. DeGroot dutifully made a phone call to a San Diego Navy Ordnance Disposal Unit on Sunday, and on Monday he received a call that a bomb squad from the Earle Naval Weapons Station in Colts Neck was on its way.

The Navy representative who said the bomb squad was coming told him, "Don't touch it and keep it in water," DeGroot said.

Seaside Park police arrived and evacuated the two-story apartment building where DeGroot lives. Police Chief William Biening said police and borough firefighters cordoned off one block in front of DeGroot's apartment.

State police and Earle bomb squads removed the cannonball, which was submerged in a bucket of water as directed, around 1:30 p.m. Monday.

DeGroot said he wanted to save the cannonball, determine from where it came and present it to a museum. But the cannonball's origins will never be known because it was deemed unsafe by the bomb squad and is slated for destruction, according to Sgt. Jeanne Hengemuhle of the state police.

Round cannon projectiles were a common military munition on land and sea in the 18th and 19th centuries. Solid iron cannonballs, or "shot," were used to batter ships and fortifications. Hollow iron balls, filled with gunpowder bursting charges, carried fuses that would be ignited by muzzle flash and explode the munition close to its target.

During the American Revolution, the Barnegat Bay region served as a base for pro-independence privateers who seized cargo ships passing close to shore, according to historians. Pro-British forces sought to squelch that activity and in 1782 mounted a successful raid on Toms River, destroying a local militia base and capturing its commander, Capt. Joshua Huddy.

J. Mark Mutter, a local historian said the ordnance could have been used in 1778 when the British staged an unsuccessful attack on the Toms River, or in 1782 when the British attacked again, this time successfully. Or, it could have been thrown overboard from a ship which was too heavy to move in a low tide on the river.

Mutter said that a cannonball had been discovered during construction on Water Street two decades ago, but it was solid lead and deemed as harmless and was preserved.

DeGroot said he was quite surprised when a Navy representative told him the fuse was called "a cork, and it had a pound of black powder in it and it is highly lethal."

His landlord, Judy Appleby, didn't seem to mind the evacuation of her building. Appleby said it was exciting because the cannonball was a historical piece, and she, too, hoped it could be preserved some way.

Not possible, Hengemuhle said.

"They will render it safe for the arson bomb unit to counter charge it and then they will destroy it," she said.

DonF

Nov 28, 2006
Brick, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Whites 5900/DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny, I work at NWS Earle and I got to talk to some of my friends, who are part of the EOD unit (explosive ordance disposal). They did receive a call on the cannon ball, but forwarded it on to the state.

When I was talking to them, they were laughing cause someone had referred to it as a WWII cannonball.........................................a what? :P

Personally, I've spent 30 years in the ordnance field and have yet to come across a WWII cannonball. ;) ;D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow...interesting! Something similiar happened here in Virginia...I believe it was at Buckroe Beach. Someone found bullets/shells, never fired (I believe Civil War time..can't remember or WWI/II) Just know it was ammunition. They closed down the beach for bit, and now you can not metal detect this beach, last I heard from someone who use to metal detect that beach. This was several years ago.

There was some guy who also metal detected that beach, who was EOD. He was trying to tell them that there was nothing to worry about...but they still closed it down to people being able to metal detect :(

I have not been there in about 20 years or so (and I am only across the bridge tunnel) :)...but I understand signs have been posted stating you can not metal detect. Now I guess I will have to go check.....

HH,
Annmarie

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ex II, Whites eagle II, Whites spectrum xlt
And people wonder why I don't try and hunt relics. Although I guess it would be fun. I just stick to the old coins and jewelry.

Have fun out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread