BGT Modification Possibility?

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I had a thought the other day and it is slightly related to some of my issues when I am running my Prospector BGT. It does tend to make me feel a little uncomfortable when running material because I am constantly checking to see how "packed" it is. So I have possibly a great idea or it could completely defeat the purpose of the BG and be a horrible idea. That is where all of you come in!

My Idea is somewhat simple. In the childish drawing I made on the computer, below is a rough picture showing the BGT and somewhat on how it functions to a point (please bare with me).

View attachment Bazooka.bmp

Now in picture 2 it shows the proposed "modified" version. My idea is to create an underflow (based on the concept of an underflow sluice) before exiting the chamber and out the sluice. This could cause a bit more aggravation and keep the bed even more fluidized causing more of a vortex for displacement to occur due to changing of the water flow. Now, I am not implying that the "gate be from the top of the exit port all the way down to the tubes creating a fluidized bed. It could work, but my guess would be that would cause too much disruption and blow out fine gold depending on current. BUT!!!!!!, if you tend to have a slower current in your area, this could work, putting your "gate" lower into the bed to cause more disturbance due to lower water flow. This is where the "modify and tailor your tools for your environment" comes into play.

Now generally speaking, if you have sufficient flow already, the gate would go in at an angle suitable for material to still enter the chamber and to exit the chamber. The gate would angle down to just about level or a touch below the bottom of the exit port on the sluice.

I don’t know if this idea would cause the sluice to back up in material due to a different water flow or what. But with all this being said, I have a Mini (that the wife uses sometimes) and the prospector. Depending on the reply's and the possibility of it working, I will run controlled tests with a certain amount of flour gold without a gate put in place in the mini. Then I will modify the mini with a gate and do a few controlled tests there also using the same pitch, water pressure ect. This will be conducted in my garage so it is as controlled as possible under as close conditions as I can create.

Any thoughts would be greatly welcome, and please play Devils advocate on this. I only want to test this theory out this weekend if it is plausible, but want everyones concerns and ideas about this so I can watch for them and put other ideas into practical application.

Thanks for your time guys.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will wait to test this until next weekend so i can go thru all replys and enable others time to read and provide some input.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say if it aint broke don't fix it!

GG~

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that being said......
If you want to experiment then just dont make any changes that cant be easily undone.

I am in favor of a gate trap but just not the way you have suggested, my version would look like this..........

Bazooka.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That does make more sense. I am gonna have to figure a way to get it on there between the grizzlies. Good observation. Thanks!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMHO. I think the angle piece in figure 2 is to close to the outlet, I would worry that it would "stall" the churning motion and create too many low pressure areas loading up the fuuid bed. I've been toying with the idea of doing something like GoodGuy's. It would be a fairly easy mod. to do, using some thin Aluminum bend a 90 slightly smaller in height then the outlet and just under the same width, slip it in the outlet up close to the top of the grizzly and pop rivet in place.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont see how mine can work any better than it does right out of the box, i love that thing.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly one who likes to experiment with this type of thing and I suggest that if you really want to experiment with this idea it would be best to make a mocked up clear box which would allow you to compare operation of different designs angles etc.. without making any changes to your equipment until you are satisfied with the operational copy. PETG is a clear plastic that can even be cold bent to make a mock unit for testing, much easier to work with than lexan or acrylics. I favor GG's design outline also. Don't guess at it though, in a enclosed fluid area the difference of 1/4" in height can make a world of difference in pressure/flow relationships for optimum performance.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed. Thanks for the info so far. I have never heard of that material. Im hoint to have to look into that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread