need help choosing a sluice!

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys so im looking into buying my first sluicebox. And after spending time in these forums i learned lots of people spend money on different things till they find something that works for them so maybe if i give the details of what i want to do you guys can point me in the right direction. The area i want to work has a medium flow rate its a small creek lots of flour gold and flake gold. I need something i can carry to the site. I already carry gear on my back but easy setup no prefab needed. Looking for something medium sized that can handle a good amount of dirt. $200-$300 budget Ive looked at a few already but any suggestions?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing the same as you. 3 years of research.
Bazooka gold trap.
Hands down. The super mini will move as much material as A Keene A52.
Thats , what 52 inches? you could use it as a sled!
Bazooka. None..if very little classifying. shovel like a mad man 'zooka likes it.
Don' trust my opinion, research Bazooka gold trap. here, there, anywhere!
Good luck new prospector!!:headbang::occasion14:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some really cheap alternatives...If you buy 3 and stack them, it reinforces it enough to shovel to your hearts content...You can also cut a piece of plywood to length with two 2x2 or 2x4 to nail onto plywood to tack Pro Vent onto...These are just my 2 cents...

Try it...You might like it...

ADO Products ProVent 22 in. x 4 ft. Attic Ventilation System-UPV22480 at The Home Depot

ADO Products ProVent 14 in. x 4 ft. Attic Ventilation System-UPV14480 at The Home Depot

Ed T

Thats cool, but OP has A 2 or 3 hundred dollar budget....
Buy something ready to go, tested to the max..
No disrespect, your ideas are great for the peeps on a budget!

Jacks0n

Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proline Mining Equipment - they're selling one large sluice Box for about $160 W/Matting & Riffles

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotta chime in here...stay away from mats and riffles if you're new to this...no point fighting up the learning curve on old school gear when you can skip past that to a fluid trap like the Bazooka Goldtrap. I would step up to the Prospector if you have the water to run it (doesn't take that much) since you really don't need to do any classifying to use it. This saves a TON of time, effort and pain....which means you get more gold for your time on the creek. oh and that Bazooka is the master at catching fine gold like you have.

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Looks like I'm buying a bazooka. Anyone want to buy a used once 30 inch royal recirculating sluice. Under cost. Lol. God help me I'm on gold tilt.

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I second what Kevin said. For under 300 shipped you can get both a Super Mini & a 30" Prospector like i did. The Super will fit into a day pack for easy transport, meanwhile the Super not to bad to hand carry unless its more than a couple of miles or steep terrain, then mount it to a pack.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get the Bazooka. Done!

Attachments

• IMAG1156.jpg
    IMAG1156.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like I'm buying a bazooka. Anyone want to buy a used once 30 inch royal recirculating sluice. Under cost. Lol. God help me I'm on gold tilt.
if you can afford to have both around ($, space, household politics) then keep both. There will come a time when you are glad for the recirc unit....bench deposit or trip to somewhere dryish like New Mex or AZ or ...)

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks alot guys that gold trap looks good. It took a sec and a few youtube videos but i figured out the concept. I like what im seeing. Any others i should look into?

crazywolfminingco

Dec 29, 2013
pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just ordered a sidewinder set up .sluice that has a grizzly to make it a mini highbanker. after watching his vids it seemed like its worth a shot to me.

OP
OP
dannyg

dannyg

Dec 28, 2013
slo county california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright cool ill check that out. Theres ao much out there i want to see it all before i make my mind up. What if this sluice has that extra little piece that makes the difference in some way to me more recovery, lighter material. Compactable. Theres so much. But to everyone i appreciate the input

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright cool ill check that out. Theres ao much out there i want to see it all before i make my mind up. What if this sluice has that extra little piece that makes the difference in some way to me more recovery, lighter material. Compactable. Theres so much. But to everyone i appreciate the input

The sluice that makes the difference is a BGT.....:icon_thumright:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been around awhile and I recommend the Bazooka Gold Trap for: micro, fine, flake, picker, and small nugget gold!
If I could have only one sluice (and I have all kinds) my choice would be the Bazooka Gold Trap.
It can also be adapted for use as a high banker. (a new highbanker kit is in the works from BGT)

Without a doubt the BGT is the most bang for your buck sluice to ever hit the market. :icon_thumleft:
Easy to set up, easy to carry, and easy to clean. No classifying, no riffles, no mats, no problems.

GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i just ordered a sidewinder set up .sluice that has a grizzly to make it a mini highbanker. after watching his vids it seemed like its worth a shot to me.
it is a very interesting design. One caution, these sluices are heavy, hope you can use a cart or dolly to take it to the river :-) and I guess you still have to classify quite a bit.

crazywolfminingco

Dec 29, 2013
pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no cart. hes actually making me a mini highbanker in the style of his sidewinder. just a baby snake! lol.still waiting for the drawing from sidewinder actually,but the idea behind the desighn makes cents. we will see if they can do it in a small version? hard to say

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions