BH Discovery 3300 help PLEASE

jeffpinto

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I've been using this machine for a few outings - new to the hobby. While I have found 3 clad coins in 3 outings, I'm getting a ton of signals and trash. I set the discrimination up and I'll think I have a dime and it's an aluminum can. It'll read a penny and I'll dig up scrap iron trash from a can. I've attempted to ground balance but not sure if I've done it correctly. I'll also pinpoint it, dig, find nothing, scan again and it's either a few inches from the hole or the signal is gone entirely. Getting frustrated.

What experience have you guys had with this unit? What are the challenges in using this rig? Is it a good machine or just so/so? I'm trying to figure out if it is me, the machine or both.

Thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you need to master the manual ground balance feature. Until then, do not dig all signals, if you get a signal when you swing over a target east to west, the take a moment and swing over the target north to south. If it still gives a good signal, dig it. If it doesn't then do not dig. Until you can ground balance correctly you will continue to get false signals, primarily at the end of your sweep and also when the ground has ruts. The change in soil height at the rut can give false signals.

Hope this helps.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are new to the hobby then you should be digging all signals in a basic all metal mode, this way you get to know what is trash, and what is good. After you learn your machine you can tune it better to your requirements.

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS and Loco are both correct you should always sweep targets from multiple directions and dig all repeatable targets....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used a Fisher F4 most of 2014, It is similar to the Discovery 3300. More expensive, runs an a different frequency and you have multiple choices of coils. After you put 30 to 40 hours on your detector you should become more proficient with the manual Ground Balance feature.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread