BIG 1800s SILVER!!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG 1800's SILVER!!

Stopped out to my parent's house to visit my mother for Mom's day today. After dinner I decided to hit the side yard of my parent's house for a bit. I've been in this yard several times and found a few things but it's absolutely filled with junk... all kinds of junk aluminium and pieces of metal. It's all over the place. I'm pretty sure this house used to be some type of business that utilized the yard... a nursery or something like that... I've found a few small aluminium tags from plants/trees/etc. Anyway, because of all the trash I've never really hit the area very hard with the detector. I wasn't expecting to find anything today but decided to swing the coil for a few minutes because the house was built in 1890. Needless to say, in the near future I will be gridding out this lawn very slowly and carefully because look what turned up after only 10 quick minutes. 109.JPG 111.JPG It hit hard on the VX3 at a 91 92 vdi. I didn't believe it was anything good because of all the trash I've found in this yard. Luckily I was careful when I dug the plug. The coin was at 5 inches and when I saw it I picked it up and said "you've got to be kidding me". I was just telling my hunting buddy two days ago when I dug a counterfeit half dollar that I had never found a real silver half...not a Kennedy...not a Franklin...not a Walker.... none at all. And today this pops up. Gotta love this hobby. Also found this decorative copper...Lipstick case?...not really sure. 113.JPG Soaked the half for a bit in warm water to get the dirt off. Looks a little better but still dirty. 115.JPG 114.JPG Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Upvote 12

junkhunter

Oct 4, 2010
Only ever got one of those.Thank god for mason jar lids.(bugger was surrounded by them so no one dug it)Nice find!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's what I call a good Mother's Day!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find congrats!!!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a great find - hope there's more.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That bad boy is sweet:icon_thumleft:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Barber! congrats! HH

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive never had any luck pickin thru trash, nice to see some people actually do!:icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find!! Between this one and that cool counterfeit, you've made some wonderful finds lately! Congrats!

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin! Still on my bucket list.

Hunting through trash is hard. That is how I found my first US Eagle button yesterday. I could barely see it with my ETrac and the 6x8 coil because of all the iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread