Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin fantastic!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big, beautiful North American Placer!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

Unbelievable video of big North American gold nuggets + new finds, pics, videos added: a live thread, so please post your gold shots.
I'll add other videos or stills of big nuggety North American gold as I find them.

This video starts slow, but it's shot underground, so give it a while and then watch out that you don't have a freakin' heart attack!!

I hope you love looking at this as much as I did--every placer miner's dream come true. If you're a rookie, you'll get the fever bad watching this one. (To avoid any confusion, this is not my video, nor is it my clean-up, nor was I involved in any way--I found it by mistake after typing in a search word incorrectly [that's why I'd never found it before], but I sure do love it!!)

Almost 3,800 ounces in the last shot--fines are in the large plastic bags. 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle!

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. I posted it with my beginner's thread as well, but it's so great it deserves it's own place too.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Found that just below the historical Blewett township. I assume it was a chunk of high grade ore that fell out of the cart b4 arrival at the arrastra and has spent the last 150 years tumbling downstream to where I found it. Was lying on the surface a week after my club had a big outing on that claim!!! How many people tripped over it or stepped on it completely oblivious????

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
But to give them an excuse, it was kinda encrusted in dirt and sand. I have a habit of looking at every piece of quartz I find. This had stripes in it that intrigued me. When I cleaned it in water and efferdent, the gold was apparent. Further testing with a Falcon MD-20 discrerning pinpointer shows gold completely matrixed throughout the rock. There's even a knob on the back side that some have speculated is pure platinum due to it's hardness

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello i have found gold and slate togther on the American river in an area called the chilli bar. Slate is a great trapper of gold. However, gold and slate do not form together. Slate as a bed rock is a great natural riffle to catch fine and placer gold. I miss that area. Happy hunting:notworthy:

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Not sure where to go to have that done. I heard of a place near Boise that can possibly x-ray it, but otherwise been holding out for a logical option for 3 years now

3029heavy

Dec 19, 2012
Several people have told me not to alter the rock in any way or it'll lose specimen value. So lapidary and assay are likely out of the question. I'll need to have a specific gravity test done to approximate the net gold content as well

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not my find, but a beautiful nugget, weighing in at just under 24 grams. I do know that is is from So Cal. The prospector who found it, said it came up in his classifier.

Attachments

• image-1569603453.jpg
    image-1569603453.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And that's why we check each and every rock before we toss them. My Dad knew a miner who threw a nugget out just as he realized it was the biggest one he'd ever found. Did he try for hours to find it? Yep. Did he find it? Nope. Did he make up the story? Maybe. But, an important lesson is in there I'm sure, because I've never forgotten it.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello i have found gold and slate togther on the American river in an area called the chilli bar. Slate is a great trapper of gold. However, gold and slate do not form together. Slate as a bed rock is a great natural riffle to catch fine and placer gold. I miss that area. Happy hunting:notworthy:

It does do the job.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is not my find, but a beautiful nugget, weighing in at just under 24 grams. I do know that is is from So Cal. The prospector who found it, said it came up in his classifier.

I love the picture! That's a mighty sassy gold nugget for sure!!

All the best,

Lanny

All the best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread