Big cats in East TN

.....they did the same thing in Montana....they released wolves a long time before ever going public.I got sick of people telling me i was crazy,I quit telling em,the wolves are here.....now we have em up to our ears!!

We live in the country in northwest Louisiana. Our neighbor swore she saw two black panthers about 30-40 years ago when they first moved into the area. She is a person that wouldn't tell a yarn.. Kids and adults have swore they saw one a little south of Shreveport also.

Big cats are being seen in Louisiana. One cougar (the four legged kind) made it's way into a Shreveport/Bossier neighborhood a few years back and was spotted in a tree. They tried to dart it but when it appeared it was coming out of the tree officials had to shoot it. Beautiful animal and a shame that that had to happen. Wildlife agents determined it was a wild cougar and not one that had escaped or released from captivity.

Beautiful pic of the cougar Silver Searcher. Magnificent animal.
Quite a few bobcat have been seen along the Mississippi river banks in the last two years here, since our spillway was flooded to lower river levels, after not been flooded in 30 years. Presumed to be flushed out. I'm 55, from New Orleans, and was shocked to hear it was a fact.
Anyone hear about monkeys migrating north, that had escaped when hurricane Andrew (i think) devistated a primate research center in southern Florida? Perhaps 500

I still believe the cougars were moved into the East. I just don't think they walked over from the West!
More has been seen it the last 2 years than any other time.
The people who are saying that they're not here... are going to get a wake-up call real soon!

medicman507...

Why, no... the black cats(may have been the same one) was much closer to you than the Tennessee River!
It was in your home county! That is if your county is Bradley County?

Edit: Updated my location

Last edited:
Number 9.....I am pretty in tune to whats going on in the "lion",world and I have not heard of any lion relocations going on anywhere.....matter of fact in this day and age its damn near impossible to transplant any animal across state lines.I actually would refuse to as that is as cruel as a person could be.Imagine you being plopped in San Francisco....told to survive......oh yea,and you have Tuberculosis so now you have spread that to every one else.....Also,where do you think they are getting these lions to be relocating?Calif has more than any state in the nation and I promise ya they aint givin no live specimens up!!!!

Kuger...

I don't know... I way plopped in San Diego back in 1968 for 12 weeks....and was told to survive... did like that worth a crap!!:laughing7:

What about the Red Wolf they plopped in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park...
What about the Elk they plopped in Tennessee? Where they get them?
We traded Wild Turkey(bird) for Black Tail Deer, they plopped them at the Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant in Chattanooga.

Animal reintroduction programs are being done by federal, state, and private organizations, nation wide.

"Reintroduction of Texas cougars to northern Florida occurred in the late 1980s to determine if panther habitat existed outside of southern Florida. Although succumbing to poachers and roadkills, a second reintroduction of ten cougars occurred in 1993. These were sterilized to prevent breeding (both batches). The emphasis was cooperation with large private landowners to increase habitat. It's worked fairly well."

....its not going on now and hasnt in the last 20+ years 9,sorry.Do realize how financilly strapped the Gov. is?Trust me lion work State and Fed is a very small world,peopel talk,and are always looking for experienced hepl.....work is dead right now.I sit by the phone though!Again,what would they be sneaking lions in for?Where again are they getting them?Also,Elk,wolves,and turkeys are not known for eating a feller every now and then....lions are and are actually a huge liabilty to a state that has them.I will tell you that the family of every person killed in Calif in the last 35 years has been awarded a hefty sum,because the wildlife belong to the State :thumbsup:

Programs may be on hold now... don't know?

This is a copy of the recovery of the cougar in the East... which was made in 1982 and started. The program may have stopped due to funds?

http://ecos.fws.gov/docs/recovery_plan/820802.pdf

This is a list of all recovery programs by the FWS...

Species and populations with recovery plans

"Re-establishing a threatened or
endangered species in its former range
is often necessary so that there are
enough populations to sustain recovery.
To relieve concern that reintroductions
may result in restrictions on the use of
private, tribal, or public land, Congress
added the provision for experimental
populations." FWS-June 2011

Some believe the Southern Appalachians and the Adirondacks are "targets" for the first experimental populations.
And may have been started at an early year?

"The FWS also annually offers millions of
dollars in grants for endangered species
conservation and recovery. Cooperative
Endangered Species Conservation
Fund grants are offered to States and
Territories for an array of projects to
benefit species that are listed, proposed,
or candidates for listing." FWS-June 2011

I guess we won't really know until more time goes by?

The Pa. Game Commission denies that they exist in Pennsylvania as well but I know 3 people that have seen them; one is a naturalist. Another guy saw a female and 2 kits on the Sinemahonning River in a very remote area. I think that they are probably here. One was killed by an automobile in Connecticut this year so they seem to be increasing their range and population. We have loads of Bobcats as well and Fishers were recently reintroduced and are doing well in my area. We have seen both species. If you treasure hunt in remote areas as I do you're probably well served to carry a sidearm. I've encountered bears, coyotes, bobcats, rattlesnakes and a pack of wild domestic dogs living in an abandoned house. The most aggressive things that I've encountered were a 5-6 foot black snake; biggest snake I've ever seen and the pack of dogs.

Cheers,
:occasion14:

“Just the facts ma'am, nothing but the facts.” Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet:laughing7:

I saw a large Black Cat where I live... Fact

The cougar that was killed in Connecticut walked there from the Black Hills of South Dakota(DNA tracking)... Fact

The distance between the two locations is about 1,900 miles... Fact

Since the gene mutation causing melanism is dominant in jaguars(8-50% to location), it's not that rare... Fact

Jaguars are known in the USA(Arizona, New Mexico and Texas)... Fact

It is less miles from my home from Arizona, New Mexico and Texas... than Black Hills of South Dakota to Connecticut... Fact

Is it possible a jaguar turned black and walk here for me to see it!!... Fact.. Hummm? LOL!!!:headbang:

The Pa. Game Commission denies that they exist in Pennsylvania as well but I know 3 people that have seen them; one is a naturalist. Another guy saw a female and 2 kits on the Sinemahonning River in a very remote area. I think that they are probably here. One was killed by an automobile in Connecticut this year so they seem to be increasing their range and population. We have loads of Bobcats as well and Fishers were recently reintroduced and are doing well in my area. We have seen both species. If you treasure hunt in remote areas as I do you're probably well served to carry a sidearm. I've encountered bears, coyotes, bobcats, rattlesnakes and a pack of wild domestic dogs living in an abandoned house. The most aggressive things that I've encountered were a 5-6 foot black snake; biggest snake I've ever seen and the pack of dogs.

Cheers,
:occasion14:

Well, if you have that sort of critter (bears, coyotes, bobcats, dogs) problem, you better carry a big sidearm. Like 44 mag or bigger. I've hunted a lot, but wouldn't hunt bear with a 357. Especially for protection.

Consider a shotgun with slugs.

Yes...the sighting was within 1000 yards of the TN River about 35 miles north of Chattanooga.

Yes...the sighting was within 1000 yards of the TN River about 35 miles north of Chattanooga.

That would put you about where the Hiwassee River comes into the Tennessee River?

Two black cats were spotted, about a month apart on the north side of the Hiwassee just east of Calhoun.
My friend that saw them goes to church twice a week, doesn't use tobacco or any alcohol, and you will never hear any swear words from him...
I don't know which is more rare.. him or the Panther!?

"truckinbutch
I'd place more faith in the Panther . People that claim to be that pious scare me."

"Dave" is not the type that's "in your face" with the way he now lives, he does live the way he now believes. Yes, we've had a little wine together, but that's about it.
He's near 70 now and his early life was a little rough. Very hard time in Vietnam and lost his first wife to cancer about 30 years ago with two young kids at the time. He remarried about 15 years ago to a very nice lady, which is his rock.
He organized a group of people two years ago from his church and other small country church near by. They spent three weeks helping underprivileged people in the mountains, mostly old people that couldn't afford to fix their roof and make repairs...
three weeks of his time plus $3,000 of his money to help them!

If the man told me a stop sign was blue... I'd damn sure take a second look!!

Howdy Kuger,

Just found this thread, at first I thought it would be about some big cats with bling bling.

I didn't know you were a lion hunter, that explains your user name. I myself have failed to convince many who swear they saw a black cougar, that it wasn't so. :BangHead:

Nice hounds, I've had Bluetick's here in my place just for the music. At one time we ran Plotts on hog, no need for a catch dog with them, they are very aggressive.

A lion hunter friend had a big male cougar in a hog trap one time that I went visiting. He had caught it live with his Walkers, and was going to let him loose to catch him again. He would get a kick out of reaching in and grabbing that lion by the nuts, and asking how many people I had seen do that?

He learned to let the dogs go closer to dawn rather that early in the night. The last time he released the dogs early at night was near Freer, Texas. He never knew what his dogs would end up stopping, since bobcats smell the same, he hunted for both. This time they bayed a large cougar in very low brush, he only had a 22 revolver, took a shot, and found that it was loaded with snake shot. His truck was too far away to go get bullets, he was alone, and his flashlight was growing weak. He wasn't about to leave his dogs alone either. It took him some time just to find a stick big enough, and when he did, he had to hold the flashlight with one hand, hoping not to strike one of the dogs. He said he had never been scared like he was that night, but he managed to hit the lion just right so the dogs could finish the job.

Homar

Nice kitty.....biiiiggg kitty......
We are covered up with em out here.Here is one last week
download-3.jpg

It's kind of funny...

Many people say they have seen a Bigfoot. Could it be true?
I've never seen one only stories by others. And I've never read where anyone in the world had true evidence of every being one.
Some guys in North Georgia said they had one... but it was a hoax. Do I believe a Bigfoot is real? I really doubt it, I would say about a 90% chance that a Bigfoot doesn't exist. The other 10%? It might be a slight possibility.

Many people say they have seen large black cats in the United States. Could it be true?
I have seen two large black cats, could have been the same one? Do they really exist in the World? No problem to prove, it has been totally documented. Has any large black cats ever been killed in the United States, yes, and confirmed. Most were said to be escaped exotic pets, because they are not known to be wild in the United States. But, not only is it possible that a large black cat could be roaming around some where in the United States... it has been documented. Yet, we have Biologist and big cat hunters who say that there is NO WAY one could have been seen?
I think this is the real part that's not to be believed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back