Big honking silver ring # 2 on this streak!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Another basketball court...another great piece of bling!

This time a thick 11.7 gram ring marked Ster.
The heaviest piece of silver I have ever found.
Came in as a 92 on the F2, the only other good targets I ever dug in the low 90's was an Ike 1978 full size dollar and a navy challenge coin the same size as that dollar...and this.
Even full cans don't come in this high unless they are flat and shallow, and even then that is rare,

That makes 2 huge honking silver rings, one small plain 10k ring, one white gold 10k ring with diamonds, and a nice older looking ring with a natural pearl of unknown purity...but I am sure it's gold and may be up there in karats.

All found within the last 21 days...3 weeks exactly.

The greatest great jewelry streak of my short 3 1/2 year career.
Hopefully it ain't over yet!

Attachments

• P1040316.jpg
    P1040316.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Upvote 9

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thats a nice one

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coooool! I never find rings that big! Though you may want to acid test that thing. It doesn't "look" sterling, even though it's stamped. The scratches around the cross and the STER stamp look like something plated.

Well, hell, maybe it's just a shiny coat of something on sterling silver. Seen that too. Just being honest with you. Hope it's Ag!!!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Coooool! I never find rings that big! Though you may want to acid test that thing. It doesn't "look" sterling, even though it's stamped. The scratches around the cross and the STER stamp look like something plated.

Well, hell, maybe it's just a shiny coat of something on sterling silver. Seen that too. Just being honest with you. Hope it's Ag!!!

No, that is just shadows from my lighting.
It is pretty scratched and beat up, though, if you look close...but it is a big ol' chunk of silver.
Here are more pics with the second one in the sun.
Some small chunks taken out of this thing here and there, still silver underneath.
It's looks great in real life and I had black streaks on my cleaning cloth from the tarnish when I polished it up like silver will always do.

Attachments

• P1040321.jpg
    P1040321.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 116
  • P1040331.jpg
    P1040331.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, that thing is silver every day of the week. Yup! NICE

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't thought about basketball courts, I guess you sweep the edges, right?

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I hadn't thought about basketball courts, I guess you sweep the edges, right?

Edges, all around and out to at least 10 feet...don't forget under trees if they are in the vicinity, and always directly behind any and all baskets.
Right at the very edge you might find a bunch of earring studs.
They fly off, hit the hard surface and roll to the edge.
All around the court I find tons of clad and sometimes rings, the rings can do the same as the studs if they fly off.
Even though these players can lose rings and chains if they play with them and wear them, most of the best stuff and the highest volume of great targets I find a few feet out in areas where players tend to sit on breaks or more importantly lay their coats and belongings.
They put their jewelry in these piles, then they pick up these things after playing they forget they put their rings and chains there, start walking away and these things drop out hit the ground and they never hear it.

Some of the greatest finds of my career have been at these sites which you have to work because they are also some of the trashiest you will ever come across.
Well worth it to do the work, though.

This is a pic of some of my best finds at just 7 of these courts...I have hunted many more than that and they are not all winners.
Add this new ring to what you see here, and notice that white gold ring with the 9 diamonds on the lower right.
That one was appraised for about $1300 and is my best find...ever!

Attachments

• BEST BASKETBALL COURT FINDS2.jpg
    BEST BASKETBALL COURT FINDS2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 110

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for the info

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh I'm hitting my first bball court tomorrow morning, hope I get a nice hunk of jewlery.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have basketball court in mind that I have been waiting on. Now if I could just get a little bit of rain to loosen up the hard packed dirt! Got another court in mind, but not quite in a respectable neighborhood setting. Still want to hit it too.

Nice finds.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing better than a big hunk of silver, except a big hunk of gold. I like the looks of the old unmarked gold ring. You could bring it to a jewelers, but if you are planning on digging up more gold, you might as well invest in a gold test kit. I have a Mizar electronic tester, that doesn't require you to scratch the gold to test it. Works great and wasn't too expensive.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice hunting. You are right about all the trash..you have to be real determined.

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread