Small yard still yields good coins - First Barber Dime!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After "exhausting" my parents' property in my hometown, I acquired permission to detect their neighbor's yard which has been abandoned for over 10 years. I luckily met the new owners (who will ultimately knock down the already falling apart home) and he gave me permission to hunt... already finding a couple Indians on the property which I've previously posted, the last 2 hunts (about one hour each before family Sunday dinner) have yielded 4 silvers, a 1900 Indian, and 1935 Buffalo in great shape. It's a small yard and very odd. Gridding isn't good enough. You have to hit from every conceivable angle and then maybe you'll get a tone. Tedious but fruitful work.

merc-barber-reverse.jpg

merc-barber-wheat.jpg

1935-buffalo.jpg

1917-merc.jpg

1924-merc.jpg

1900-IH.jpg

Upvote 10

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the first Barber Grant! That first Barber coin is always a thrill! A bit odd that the CTX isn't reading that silver in mutiple directions. Are you using the big coil?

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik, actually it's my 2nd Barber, but first dime! I was using the stock coil. I think the soil just has so much iron clouding it that I have to be patient and swing from all directions till I hear that beep. Often it was iron falsing, and I can generally tell by the scattered pattern on the CTX screen, but just in case, I'd dig anyway. I was rather bummed I couldn't join you and James, so I'm glad this hour produced for me.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik, actually it's my 2nd Barber, but first dime! I was using the stock coil. I think the soil just has so much iron clouding it that I have to be patient and swing from all directions till I hear that beep. Often it was iron falsing, and I can generally tell by the scattered pattern on the CTX screen, but just in case, I'd dig anyway. I was rather bummed I couldn't join you and James, so I'm glad this hour produced for me.

Other than good company, the property James and I hit didn't pan out as we hoped...finds were few and far between so you didn't miss much. You did better in the silver department than we did. I should post my finds today.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Barber Dime and other great coins! That sounds like a great site.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on some great finds!! In all honesty, I've had the same issues in the soil here in town. The ground here seems to have a lot of the iron clouding. I've dug quite a few signals lately that are only hitting from one direction. Believe it or not 99% of the time they are good targets, go figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread