Big Meteorite??? or bust?

Hoodwinked

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a property I owned in Cuernavaca. Passes all the layman tests and rings like a high pitched ring. About 40 pounds have not weighed yet. I have had it about four years and finally got to check it. Look at the pics? On my Minelab Explorer II reads 31 31. The light colored test cut area in the center is about dime size. Any input would be appreciated.:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• DSC01107AADRY.JPG
    DSC01107AADRY.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC01110AAADRY.JPG
    DSC01110AAADRY.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC01112ADRY.JPG
    DSC01112ADRY.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC01116ADRY.JPG
    DSC01116ADRY.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC01126AAADAMP.JPG
    DSC01126AAADAMP.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 259

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sorry Hoodwinked. Not likely. But if found with metal detector in that area, could still be something valuable. The eroded area does not look like native iron or have Widmanstatten diagrams to my eye.

OP
OP
H

Hoodwinked

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chondrule-metal-Randy-Korotov-credit.jpg oc_faucett_2122l.jpg specimen1021_1.jpg El-Arous_9.6_c.jpg testacut.jpg I am thinking chondrite where the metal flakes are normally <1mm. It rings like a PING, similar to an anvil when hammering. Will not ring when hit on flat side just the edges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoodwinked

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concede, I believe its Basalt after others advice. Its really a fooler.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I concede, I believe its Basalt after others advice. Its really a fooler.

What makes you think it's Basalt? The Widmanstatten pattern will not be seen on an inspection groove like that. It has to be a polished window and then treated with acid to develop the pattern. Ultimate confirmation would be to cut it. Are there any known falls in your area? If you need help with this, PM me.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those a metal grains in the dark matrix- I'd say you have a good chance of it being meteoritic.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i hope you didn't get rid of that rock!It looks like a meteorite to me..The widmanstatten pattern is seen only in IRON meteorites not chondrite nor stony iron or any other meteorite,,looks like a good find..S.T

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good candidate. Have it slabbed and tested. :thumbsup:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best candidate I've seen on here. Metal flakes in the window and it looks like fusion crust. I wish there were more photos of the crust, but I agree with those who say test it. I've collected for over 30 years; that's the best possibility I've seen in past couple years here.

BayRockMan

Sep 14, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a property I owned in Cuernavaca. Passes all the layman tests and rings like a high pitched ring. About 40 pounds have not weighed yet. I have had it about four years and finally got to check it. Look at the pics? On my Minelab Explorer II reads 31 31. The light colored test cut area in the center is about dime size. Any input would be appreciated.:icon_thumright:

Great find. Shape, surface texture, metal flecks, interior dark near surface, light gray farther in, possible chondrules on surface or holes where they popped out.

There is one find near Cuernavaca, a synonym for the Chupaderos meteorite. But that's an iron, not a chondrite. See Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for Chupaderos

I'd recommend you polish up that window using common emory cloth or sandpaper. It goes quick with a grinder or sander. Polish to at least 400 grit or finer. You should then be able to easily spot chondrules, if present. You should also seek out an experienced person in your area if looking for a second opinion. A list of possible folks at I.M.C.A. International Meteorite Collectors Association

I have bought possible meteorites based on photos alone in the past. And have a box of wrongs to prove it. But also a number of proven finds. This looks as good as it gets and I have bought specimens in the past that looked worse. It may well be worth it to pursue lab analysis. If proven genuine, it will easily pay back the investment. Can't put a possible value on it without knowing the type but retail (sliced / polished) at $0.50 a gram is a low floor that's reasonable for the most common types.

Hope this helps. Would love to see a pic of that window when polished.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any impact marks?
And what the heck is sprouting out of it? Alien plant life form!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread