Big Old Skeleton Key + silver + token

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I recieved a very nice permission and just had to start it off for an hour this morning. I wasn't 100% sure what the owner told me about the date of the house. I think he said an original part of the house dated to the early 1800's, and the rest was built in 1905. I was a bit confused. Anyway, I found the big skeleton key on a line from the front door. I added another skeleton key I found to show the size difference. The smaller one is the size I have found on all my other old keys. This one is big and has a great green patina. I like it. Anyone know how to date these old keys?
I hit the 1903 Barber a little while later. You can see every letter in LIBERTY, so I consider it a good one.
I put the weird shaped token in the picture from a hunt a few days ago. I was wondering if anyone has a token book to look it up. It says "$5 Cents in trade Conroy Brothers". the other side just has a big 5 on it.
I have a few other cool things from this short hunt that I will post later.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• 31909a.jpg
    31909a.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Congratulations on the finds, I don't have my Wisconsin token book with me to look it up, if it's not IDed before I get back to Wi. in a couple of weeks I'll make it a point to let you know if it's even in there!

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Cool stuff, Point. I like everything you have there. Keep 'em coming.

Bob

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The large key reminds me of a really big brass skeleton key I found in a park when I was 12. It had a nice green patina on it.

I had it for years before I realzed that the handle was attached to a corkscrew hidden inside the shaft of the key.

I still have it!

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Love the keys, nice silver as well :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I found a big old greeny last year that was almost 5 inches long. Found at the 1836 house site I was pounding last year

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the replies. I hope to get in a full hunt over the weekend at this property. Hopefully, I'll pop some old silver.
Seger- Thanks for the offer on the token, but I found it in Ohio. Doubt it would be in a Wisconsin book.
Jarhead- The key I found is 3 3/4 long. Every other one I have found is in the 2" range. Don't you love the old homesites.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Yeah, old homesteads are really awesome to detect around!! :thumbsup:

Skeleton keys were most popular in the late 1800s, although they continued to be used well into the 20th century and can still be found today in use, albeit in vintage homes and antique furniture.

Very nice '03 Barber dime too, Jon! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
:o the patine on that key ok sweet!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 8 scalloped token! Tokens are good to find, very good to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread