A few more Safari finds

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I'm still in quite a silver slump/drought, whatever you wish to call it. I don't think it's because I'm missing any with the Safari, it's just that I haven't ran over any. I've been finding everything else under the sun, including these two Washington State tax tokens, one of which has a date of 1935. I found both in separate lots here in town. Interestingly enough, when I lived in Banning in So. Cal I found a similar tax token. That makes three Wash. state tax tokens I've found. On the Safari they came in at a solid +38, silver range, and when I saw them pop out I thought surely they were silver coins. Oh, how MD'ing toys with my emotions! :D

I've been finding more and more wheaties too, the earliest in this bunch is a 1937. Also included is a 1938 and 1940 Canadian cent, and a 1940 nickel. I think I may have also found a 1909s but the date is so worn it's hard to really be sure.

Got three more sliders too, cub scouts I believe. Found near an old boy scouts building built back in the 30's. I think one is probably newer while the other two a bit older.

Another neat item is what appears to be some sort mangled copper belt buckle or clip. Looks to have had a gold plating at one time. I love the intricate patterns one finds on metal items back from the old days. It was found in a lot where an old house once sat, and where I also found one of the tax tokens.

One thing I've learned about the Safari is that it can go deep. My deepest coin was a memorial penny at 10". A few other clad coins have been found around 8". So I don't think I'll be missing any deep silver with this machine. I just need to get over some with my coil!!

HH

Ray

Attachments

• token_coins.jpg
    token_coins.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 366
  • token1.jpg
    token1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 361
  • sliders.jpg
    sliders.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 370
  • clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
As far as I'm concerned you are doing fantastic as your finds show, great updated, fabulous photographs, and story. You’ll no doubt hit silver when you find the right spot

Thanks for sharing Pastor Ray.

PS
I'm still trying to find time to hit that spot, I will before it get to hot, God Bless.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, what do the pennies read on your Safari? Just taking notes. Monty

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Ray,

I'm really sorry to hear about your silver drought. Too bad you didn't have that machine while you were still down in S. Cal. There's still a ton of silver here in S. Cal. ::) Well, not a ton....but I'm sure you would have found some with your Safari down here.

Keep hitting the spots you believe are old spots. You know the old saying, If you're finding wheats...... :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Thanks, everyone!

Anthony, I can't wait for you to get out to that old school. The way you're knocking out silver coins leads me to believe you just may find something there that I missed. Remember, I've found both a barber and mercury dime at that spot, so there is potential there for deeper coins with your SE.

Monty, both memorials and wheaties can vary from +34 to +37, with some but not many modern lincolns actually jumping back and forth from +37 to +38. My 1903 IH came in at a solid +37 in all directions.

Dan, yeah I sure would like to go over some of my old spots now! LOL Don't worry, I'll get over silver soon enough. I think I need to follow Juju's shadow up there in Tacoma. :icon_pirat: Looks like there's still some good silver up there.

I went down to a store in Longview today and decided to stop at a park and take the Safari out for about a half hour. Came across this neat little pin at about 4". I'd like to say it's gold plated but I doubt it as there is no mark. Rang in at +37, penny range. It's not old but here's some history on the "Knowledge Bowl": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Bowl.

Ray

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 223

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Looks like your doing great Ray. Like the tokens, they are very plentiful around here. According to my wife who was raised here, said she and her siblings would throw them off the bridge here in town.

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 146
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 142

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great digs. I know silver is just around the corner for ya.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread