Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonder what era this would be from.The house standing there now is fairly old and on a main thoroughfare where the Battle of Nashville was fought. It's almost as big as my palm.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419354277.879616.jpg

Upvote 17

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find CG. GL&HH!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find CG! Guessing mid 1800s possibly closer to the first part of the century

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice CG! Like others have said, you need to clean and preserve your find before it deteriorates any further. I found a similar lock a while back. Below is a before pic, one of it soaking in alcohol after electrolysis, and one of it after being preserved. Not long ago someone asked that I post detailed instructions on how I do my electrolysis, and you can find that info at the link below if you're interested. Scroll about halfway down the page.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...e-large-iron-artifact-i-posted-yesterday.html

lock before.JPG

lock in alcohol.JPG

2013-14 iron1.JPG

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cleaned up my locks by electrolysis. You can try the antique lock forum for information:

The Antique Locks/COLTi Forum - Industrial Archeology of locks

On a side-note, I was in Nashville this Summer visiting with my brother. He lives close to Travelers Rest. That is a neat, neat city.
Point digger that is an excellent area to detect for CW relics and a beautiful area in general,my mother lives very close to Travelers Rest as well. Quindy that gets me stoked that my lock could possibly be that old and I will have to look on the cover after electrolysis. Thanks for the link Pointman,I will have to peruse the site after Christmas.
Merry Merry everyone and happy hunting.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice CG! Like others have said, you need to clean and preserve your find before it deteriorates any further. I found a similar lock a while back. Below is a before pic, one of it soaking in alcohol after electrolysis, and one of it after being preserved. Not long ago someone asked that I post detailed instructions on how I do my electrolysis, and you can find that info at the link below if you're interested. Scroll about halfway down the page.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...e-large-iron-artifact-i-posted-yesterday.html

View attachment 1096302

View attachment 1096303

View attachment 1096305
Bill,thanks for the tips on electeolysis. We had a bath going out on the deck for awhile and are waiting till we have enough rusty tidbits to warrant setting it up again. My husband uses washing soda in in his method and it does pretty good. He has done some cannonballs he has bought to sell this way,just enough to get the obvious rust stains off but not enough to lose the great patina.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on the web for Beamans there's several types. Can't really narrow it down for you without size etc. On the keyway flap there should be engraving from the maker and that would be a big help IDing it. Beamans are fairly rare.

NOTE- When you clean it be very careful of the keyway pin, usually all that's holding it in is the rust. The pin holding the cover on is also very delicate too, so don't go overboard on electrolysis, go a little bit at a time. If you can post up the dimensions and the markings on the keyway cover, I can probably narrow it down for you.

Let me get on my other puter and I'll put up some pictures of the keys used in this type of lock.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look on the web for Beamans there's several types. Can't really narrow it down for you without size etc. On the keyway flap there should be engraving from the maker and that would be a big help IDing it. Beamans are fairly rare.

NOTE- When you clean it be very careful of the keyway pin, usually all that's holding it in is the rust. The pin holding the cover on is also very delicate too, so don't go overboard on electrolysis, go a little bit at a time. If you can post up the dimensions and the markings on the keyway cover, I can probably narrow it down for you.

Let me get on my other puter and I'll put up some pictures of the keys used in this type of lock.

Thank you boogeyman but I probably won't be able to invest much time into this until Christmas is over,got amily visiting but as soon as I find out more snd clean I will perhaps PM you so you can help me out.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
poor poor Titans!!

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pointman if you're still following this thread I scraped off as much of the crud as I could on the brass part of the lock and revealed the word" PATENT."

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lock Coilygirl. I see you've been digging again.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My lock is a smokehouse lock,probably American made,mid to late 1800's to early 1900s. Hard to tell exactly with no initials before the word PATENT. A big thanks to Pointman and PBK who answered a PM I sent him about it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what era this would be from.The house standing there now is fairly old and on a main thoroughfare where the Battle of Nashville was fought. It's almost as big as my palm.

View attachment 1096038

Cool Still never found one of that Style.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Between the word "Patent" and the shape....my guess is British make.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread