BIG Vicky, and yet another triple silver day!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day off woohoo! I decided to return to a spot that produced a couple Indian cents (and not much else) last year.

On my walk to the spot I found three silver dimes all in a one foot circle. What fun to get a solid silver signal, and then hear two more close by! Turned out to be two Rosies and a Mercury. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495752478.836038.jpg

When I got to the spot I slowed down, it's loaded with iron junk. The first screaming signal was this large buckle (sash?). ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495752604.816449.jpg

Then I came across a blip of a good signal and dug up a big old rusty nail (see it top left of the coin?). Then a little chunk of chain came out, and then a large cent! My FIRST Vicky large cent in eight years of digging. I've dug quite a few silver Vickies but never the copper. I think the chain used to be attached to the hole in the cent, maybe was used as a watch fob or part of a necklace. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495752824.603846.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495752994.096734.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495753024.014709.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495753098.632292.jpg

Pretty fun day if I do say so myself!

Upvote 20

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great bunch of finds. Its very exciting to get one solid signal, only to discover a few more close by. Gotta love this hobby!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice set of finds. Those bronze Vicky LCs clean up so nice. One of my nicest LCs is an 1891 Vicky. Really like that older style buckle as well. Congrats!

John

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heyyyy, give all that United States silver back! Nice Vicky brother. Cheers

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, love the buckle and Big Vicky

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great bunch of finds. Its very exciting to get one solid signal, only to discover a few more close by. Gotta love this hobby!

Thanks Silvermonkey, you are right- this hobby kicks butt!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice set of finds. Those bronze Vicky LCs clean up so nice. One of my nicest LCs is an 1891 Vicky. Really like that older style buckle as well. Congrats!

John

Thanks BTV. I'm glad my soil is kind to these coins

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heyyyy, give all that United States silver back! Nice Vicky brother. Cheers

No way man. How about I toss a handful of Canadian coins in the grass next time I head down to the US. Just to even things out heh

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I think that's crazy, you haven't found a Victoria large cent until now!

I'm sure it's first of many , your site is a great producer, you'll probably find something else interesting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that had to be pretty awesome, three silvers that close together then the buckle and vickie to finish it off with

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds man ! I'd love to grab a Vickie ,might not happen here in New Mexico - though you never know , i have found two British large cents around here .

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice catch on the three silvers all sitting close together. Now you had me going I really thought you'd snagged a big Vickie silver, and I'm looking and looking but not seeing it, then I read you got your first LC in eight years of swinging. Huge congrats on getting that one off the bucket list. It works totally opposite out here, LCs are a normal kind of find at the homestead hunts. Silvers are rare as hen's teeth it seems.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's crazy, you haven't found a Victoria large cent until now!

I'm sure it's first of many , your site is a great producer, you'll probably find something else interesting

It really is crazy! I have found hundreds of Wheat Pennies and Indian Heads from the era of Canadian large cents. This Vicky is my 6th all time Canadian large cent. It seems the US coinage was more popular here until at least the 1920's. I should do a tally and find the actual numbers of US vs Can dug coinage....

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that had to be pretty awesome, three silvers that close together then the buckle and vickie to finish it off with

Yep, it was a satisfying day. Thanks!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds man ! I'd love to grab a Vickie ,might not happen here in New Mexico - though you never know , i have found two British large cents around here .

Thanks. That's the beauty of small items-they can easily travel. Pretty cool that you found British coins out your way!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made no secret of how crazy I am for Queen Victoria coins , my Brit pennies were a 1919 KGV, and a 1960's QE II . Keep up the great finds !!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice catch on the three silvers all sitting close together. Now you had me going I really thought you'd snagged a big Vickie silver, and I'm looking and looking but not seeing it, then I read you got your first LC in eight years of swinging. Huge congrats on getting that one off the bucket list. It works totally opposite out here, LCs are a normal kind of find at the homestead hunts. Silvers are rare as hen's teeth it seems.

Hehe, didn't mean to mislead about the BIG Vicky thing. I wondered if people would assume I meant silver- I wish!

You're lucky to find so many largies, I'm totally jealous of seeing the piles of large coppers you guys dig up out East. I guess a person always wants to find what they've found the least of.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's nice when a day off produces silver and a Vicky LC-
Nice