Coin Spill With Silver

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing out of the ordinary happened today. I got a early start to take advantage of the cooler we're having. Halfway to the hunt site I realized that I forgot to take my sandwiches out the refrigerator and put them into my ice chest, so I swung by McDonald's to get some chicken and biscuits.

The three sites that I detected today were mid-fifties homes and two of them I've already detected before, so I wasn't expecting to find a lot of silver. I mainly wanted to go back over those sites with a different detector to see what I could find with it. I did manage to find 15 wheat pennies.

The first silver that I got my search coil over was a 1944 Mercury dime. It was located between in the grassy area between the sidewalk and curb. Other than that one silver coin, all I found at the new site were a few wheat pennies and clad coins, so I decide to leave for a site that I've detected before.

At the second site, I only found the one silver coin, a 1939 Mercury dime, located near a huge oak tree. It must have been on edge because I thought it was going to be another wheat penny from the ID that I was getting. That site nearly killed me digging in the hard clay dirt. I need to start cherry picking more and digging less since the hot summer weather is here.

The third site is one that I've detected several times before, I call it the no trespassing site. I headed straight to the backyard because it's totally shaded and has moist ground that makes for easy digging. I found a few clad coins that I was surprised that I had missed on early hunts.

I wasn't surprised that I didn't dig the next target on previous hunts, because it sounded and gave a ID like a plate size wheat penny. Today I decided to investigate. First out of the hole was a wheat penny, I scanned the hole again and find another wheat penny, so I scanned the hole again and popped out a 1941 Mercury dime. I scanned the hole two more times and pulled 2 more wheat pennies. It would have been nice if all of them had been silver coins.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    757.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    524.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 31

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice haul of earlier 20th century coins! Congrats.

John

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very sweet silver, congrats. its amazing how hard the ground can get so quickly after the rains. kinda causes some of us to be a little more choosy on where to dig and how

scdigs

Apr 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some beautiful mercs! Nice job

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three mercs is a great day. Popping that many wheat pennies keeps my juices flowing. The Deus is working for you.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hat trick of silver and other oldies.
Thanks! I get lucky sometimes.

Nice digs!
Thanks!

very sweet silver, congrats. its amazing how hard the ground can get so quickly after the rains. kinda causes some of us to be a little more choosy on where to dig and how
Thanks! I dread the hard dry ground that the Summer heat is about to bring.

Those are some beautiful mercs! Nice job
Thanks! I never get tired of digging them.

Three mercs is a great day. Popping that many wheat pennies keeps my juices flowing. The Deus is working for you.
Thanks! Those wheat pennies keep me spurred on to keep looking for the silver coins.

Congrats on a good hunt!
Thanks!

Mercurys,, are my favorites.
Congrats
Thanks! They are beautiful to look at.

Congrats on some nice looking silver Tabman.
Thanks! I'm resting up today. All that digging in hard ground wears me down.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the silver! :occasion14:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care what anybody says Mercury dimes in my opinion or one of the nicest designs, great hunt!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt and great silver finds...