Bill to Charge a fee for entering the public Lands

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
H.R.289 - Allows surface management agencies the right to charge individuals to recreate on the public lands.

We got the fees for using forest lands removed years ago but people continue to pay for the illegal Adventure Pass. Now those same agencies will have a legal right to charge anyone for even being on public land if they get their way with this bill.

In California people continued to line up to pay for parking or picnicking even after several laws and court orders declaring the fees illegal. In the rest of the west we have ignored the "pay here" signs. Now if this bill passes it could become legal for any land manager to charge anyone any fee they want for any use of public land. I see toll booths and goon squad enforcers in the future if this bill passes.

Heavy Pans

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I don't recreate

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how he sponsored this as well.

H.R.825 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)
To promote the development of renewable energy on public land, and for other purposes.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
These are PUBLIC LANDS and I refuse to pay to use what belongs to the people of this country! These so called "Management Agencies" already have our money in the form of taxes. To charge to use public lands like this is nothing short of yet another tax. I seem to remember that we fought England to get away from unfair taxes. Don't tell me that we're going to have to do it all over again........

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are PUBLIC LANDS and I refuse to pay to use what belongs to the people of this country! These so called "Management Agencies" already have our money in the form of taxes. To charge to use public lands like this is nothing short of yet another tax. I seem to remember that we fought England to get away from unfair taxes. Don't tell me that we're going to have to do it all over again........

lol........... pulled up twice this year to trout fish and forgot about the $2 parking fee.
All I had was a $20 both times.
Dilemma.........

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
These are PUBLIC LANDS and I refuse to pay to use what belongs to the people of this country!

What do you do when you go to a National Park at the entrance? How do you avoid the entrance fee?

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you do when you go to a National Park at the entrance? How do you avoid the entrance fee?

No pay; no play..

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if there are really any truly public lands available to use at no cost? I think not.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if there are really any truly public lands available to use at no cost? I think not.

Did you forget about National Forests and BLM lands? I'm pretty sure most if not all are free for entry or use except for maybe maintained campgrounds. National Parks.....Yep you have to pay in some or most cases.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of the points I made at the waterboard workshop!

in 1970 a Ca. fishing license was $3.00. 5 million people bought a sports license. Cadfw generated 20 million or so in revenue via that program.

last year a thermal printed strip of plastic with just a freshwater classification $43.00 $65 million revenue. 2.5 million anglers.

I suck at math...but!!!!

Dfw is running a hell of a program. Though they sure don't have a mission of being efficient!

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Forest circus wants me to pay, to raft the rivers here!
We have 6 rivers within 30 miles....
BS!!

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Problem solved..

Attachments

• problem solved.jpg
    problem solved.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 94

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
It's run different here ... some of the National parks are pay on entry for facility maintenance but it is illegal to prospect in them (even detect) but State forest is free and open for prospecting.In Victoria there are rivers closed to prospecting and ALL Australian states uphold dredging bans - some states have no powered equip. laws also. There are alot of grey zones in the various State mining acts but where I am (Victoria) as long as youre not dredging, have a Miners Right and in "open" ground your'e good to go.I carry a list of the exempted rivers, so, if by chance I encounter an "officer" MY butt is covered.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool. We'll get to pay the government whenever we want to use our own land. That doesn't seem wrong at all.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can make it to 62 you can get the senior pass for $10. I got into Yellowstone free also Crater Lake. Forest circus camp grounds are half off usually. Are they proposing a pay station at every entrance? I would think if you had a pan in the rig you are going to work not recreating. Boy, the dimwits are really active nowadays!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread