Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy lol...

It's a strange new world. I def think there is overregulation. But at the same time, I think some regulation is good. I don't want to go back to the Smog Alert days like in the 80's where the exhaust and pollution from industry were so bad you couldn't go outside.

Ever been to China? It's disgusting there.

I'd like to see less regulation from the little guy, and keep regulating big businesses. Give the small business owner a leg up on his big business competition. Allow him to produce his goods and services with less issues and overhead. Pollute a little more, etc. But keep the bigger guys in check, they can afford to invest in being cleaner.

But I'm not in charge.

burtonridr

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!

I agree some regulation is great, pollution is a real concern. But after 8 years of over regulation, this is really the proper direction.... Especially considering where we will be in another 8 years if we don't change the direction.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever been to China? It's disgusting there.

I have been to Beijing international airport a couple times for a plane change. It is a huge ultra modern airport, BUT it is the only place I have ever been to where someone came up to me and asked me to change a U.S. $20 bill for two tens. I held it up to a light and did not see the watermark or the fat thread. I told the two chinese girls it was counterfeit and they disappeared in the crowd. Funny thing, this was in the high security area where you needed a ticket, passport and boarding pass to get in. Wonder who they bribed to get into that area.

I can still remember growing up in Los Angeles area in the 50s and 60s and sometimes it hurt to even breathe.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But smog comes from trees, right?

Nuke the trees! And the whales!

:/

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
One needs to understand the nature of the beast that we're dealing with here. When it was first formed the EPA was a good idea. Within a few year of its start, one no suspected they could drive right over the San Bernadino Valley as you started down Cajon Pass because the smog was so thick. This was a good thing. No more burning eyes for weeks at a time, no more rivers catching fire, etc etc etc etc.

However..... It didn't take long for certain people to realize that they could use this agency to further their own agendas. Soon they infiltrated the agency and worked their way into positions that could change policies. The majority of these changes seemed good at first but they kept making more and more changes here and there and before we all knew it, they were attempting to control EVERYTHING. Needless to say, by the time we all caught on, the EPA was exceeding their mandate left and right.

Do we really need the EPA? I feel that we do BUT not in its current excessive form. I don't want to go back to the days before they came into being but at the same time their current heavy handedness needs to be cut back to the level of their original mandate. These people are supposed to be working for all of us, not a certain few.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EPA ,what have you done for me lately? The gross over reach from this hideous agency cannot be fathomed. Regulating the furrows in a farmers field, standing water pooled up on little league fields, a pond on a family's farm and so on. These are considered Waters Of The US and under the purview of the EPA. Obscenely heavy handed behavior by unelected wackos, who account to NO ONE. They make up whatever Rule and Regulation they feel like. Without the benefit of Congress ! And now they are upset and surprised that people don't want them reigned in, they want them terminated. They have time after time abused their authority.

burtonridr

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One needs to understand the nature of the beast that we're dealing with here. When it was first formed the EPA was a good idea. Within a few year of its start, one no suspected they could drive right over the San Bernadino Valley as you started down Cajon Pass because the smog was so thick. This was a good thing. No more burning eyes for weeks at a time, no more rivers catching fire, etc etc etc etc.

However..... It didn't take long for certain people to realize that they could use this agency to further their own agendas. Soon they infiltrated the agency and worked their way into positions that could change policies. The majority of these changes seemed good at first but they kept making more and more changes here and there and before we all knew it, they were attempting to control EVERYTHING. Needless to say, by the time we all caught on, the EPA was exceeding their mandate left and right.

Do we really need the EPA? I feel that we do BUT not in its current excessive form. I don't want to go back to the days before they came into being but at the same time their current heavy handedness needs to be cut back to the level of their original mandate. These people are supposed to be working for all of us, not a certain few.

Totally agree, is there any reason the smog issues or others couldn't be handled at a local level.... Kind of like they are currently with emissions testing?

If a company is polluting the river, the city or state(community) should step in, right? In my opinion this is a much better way to actually solve a local issue and prevent massive concentrated powers that lead to regulation that usually doesn't make sense for every city and county in the country. I guess rivers cross state lines though and impact communities down stream, but we could have interstate agreements.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burtonridr you nailed it . Dead on , LOCAL Authority. Wackos in D.C. determining that a rancher must comply with arbitrary reductions in numbers, miners can't drive down the same road he his driven for 20 years, it goes on and on.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only problem with the state being involved out West is their legislatures are just as wacky as the epa wacks. Maybe if the Fed epa is severly cut back it will effect the state epa in a positive way?

OP
OP
ratled

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, now Wild, let's not sell the state short... they make the feds look normal

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ratled, LOL , it depends on the State. Kalifornia and Oregon of course come to mind

burtonridr

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about that..... Forgot about the loony's in WA, OR & CA governments..... I'm changing my opinion that everything should be brought back to the city level. Lets get rid of the federal, state and county regulations when it comes to EPA impacts and bring it right on down to city control, maybe county if it is needed in some way ;)

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about that..... Forgot about the loony's in WA, OR & CA governments..... I'm changing my opinion that everything should be brought back to the city level. Lets get rid of the federal, state and county regulations when it comes to EPA impacts and bring it right on down to city control, maybe county if it is needed in some way ;)

So you want the city and county workers to actually work? I thought those jobs were sought out for the high pay, benefits, and the abundance of down time....Too be fair not all are lazy!

I get the point though. Local officials would have a better idea of the impact and what it would take to keep it at an acceptable level.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
let's eliminate government altogeher...Anarchists Unite! we'll take over the world and proceed to do nothing...oops, that sounds too much like government...we need to eliminate government altogether...hey, I'm stuck in a loop, or is a Time Warp?

well, I've got my own sense of humor, not everyone gets it in print or in person sometimes.

my core belief is that we as Americans are getting so polarized, so do-it-all-my-way-or-you're-wrong, that we can't get anything done.
this isn't Democracy. it's dictatorship by one side or the other and leaves no room for the man in the middle.
the cuckoo bird needs both a left and a right wing to fly.

Last edited:

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Scaling back the EPA's authority is in my opinion the real answer to our issues today. The elimination of the EPA is scary to me, I enjoy swimming in watersheds without having to worry too much about chemicals/ waste in the water. I like to inhale clean air. The big corporations are to gain the most from a move like this -not the little guy, us little guys just get to breathe in the nasty fumes and be exposed to the big company's chemicals.

As noted in previous comments: we are so polarized in this country where it's often all or nothing... we are unable to compromise on pretty much anything these days...I know some may argue this but in my opinion -This is not America as intended by the founding fathers.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Totally agree, is there any reason the smog issues or others couldn't be handled at a local level.... Kind of like they are currently with emissions testing?

If a company is polluting the river, the city or state(community) should step in, right? In my opinion this is a much better way to actually solve a local issue and prevent massive concentrated powers that lead to regulation that usually doesn't make sense for every city and county in the country. I guess rivers cross state lines though and impact communities down stream, but we could have interstate agreements.

Well if it was for the EPA those emission tests most likely never would have been started. As far as the pollution in rivers etc from companies goes, the locals most likely wouldn't have the lab gear to do testing unless you put the police crime labs to work on it and they're busy enough as it is. The only other choice would be for counties/states to set up their own version of the EPA which many have already done. It's a complex problem to say the least.

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
So local authorities are too susceptible to bribery and corruption. A Federal presence is required. If you don't think the EPA is required, then consider fishing on the Shenandoah River in Virginia. I had no idea about the PCB pollution and was catching and releasing fish. Heck I even gave a huge catfish to some Mexicans so they could grill it for lunch. (I feel bad about that...) Later in the day, a game warden comes up in a Kayak and gives me a info card on why you can't eat certain fish. Here is the info...

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/content/uploads/sites/12/2016/01/ShenandoahRiver1.pdf

So I'm in this beautiful spot, enjoying nature, catching fish, and not realizing that a decades ago a manufacturing plant was dumping waste into the river and has made certain fish toxic, to this day...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread