Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past week I found a cellar hole. You can read it here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/348066-recon-silver.html

I waited to hunt it with a friend. I was early, so I headed to another spot. That spot gave me a nice silver washington earlier, in the above post.

I was hunting this back area and got a real iffy, deep signal. It was bouncing higher. So, I dug it. I have to note that this place has insane trash in areas. I dug down and rescanned with the plug out. Yep, nicer tone now. I got it out of the hole and was very happy to see a Barber dime, 1909. Gotta love that.

After going around that site, I moved back to the cellar hole to hunt with my buddy. Unfortunately, it just kept giving up wheatie after wheatie. No silver to speak of. As we were leaving, my buddy got a nice copper tone. He says, "I think it's actually a quarter." When we got back to the car, I said, let me see that coin. Immediately I knew it was not a quarter - way too thick. I grabbed his water and gave it a little cleaning. I said to him, "You SOB, you just found a 2 cent piece!" He smiled real big. 1865.

Inspired, we went back to the place I found the Barber. I nabbed another Washington - 1942!

The bittersweet part is historical. I found a medallion for Reverend John Berning at the cellar hole. He headed St Pius Catholic church for a long time. I think you can see where this is going. I did some historical research to figure out who he was and all. Then I stumbled on an article for the Cincinnati Enquirer in 2003. It said this:

"Catholic church officials are unsure what to do with a 96-year-old retired priest they say has admitted molesting children in Cincinnati more than 40 years ago.

Father John Berning, who retired and moved to Florida in 1970, is facing accusations from two men who say he abused them when they were children in the 1950s and 1960s.

The Archdiocese of Cincinnati confirmed Thursday it has received letters from Father Berning admitting to more than one instance of abuse during his career as a priest."

That made me sick.

stuff.JPG

IMG_0143.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a story. I understand what you mean. Awsome find, but tainted by the sick individual behind it. Very bittersweet.

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks! yeah, i was excited that we got what we did.

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found many coins before I got the Pro, but have been hitting them like crazy since. Hope I didnt just jinx myself.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would say a few words and toss the medal into deep water. You are digging history and not all history is pleasant.
Best wishes.

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would say a few words and toss the medal into deep water. You are digging history and not all history is pleasant.
Best wishes.

i like that idea. i was contemplating what i should do with it. i thought about melting it down or something. but i think i like your idea better. thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never found many coins before I got the Pro, but have been hitting them like crazy since. Hope I didnt just jinx myself.

Yes, I found them with the ATP. My buddy was hunting with the ATP as well. It really is a coin hound.

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As disturbing as it is, I would keep the medallion. Cool finds

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds dude! Since the medallion holds a dark past, and would make anyone feel sick to their stomach, I can understand why you aren't sure if you want to keep it. Regardless, you guys did awesome!

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
Being from cincinnati and catholic, I think I would give it back to the church. They want nothing to do with remembering what or who he was. For me it seems fitting the archdiocese deal with the medal.
Just my 2 cents, way to go on your 2 cents/ and quarter!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coins
congrats.gif

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep the metal even though it comes with a dark history. History is sometimes not all pretty, and this hobby is based off history. It has a unique story that most finds don't come with. That being said, its a pretty grim find.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would put that token on the railroad tracks.

And watch with relish as a freight train runs it over.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can understand how the metal would be a bittersweet find but I believe in my heart that God has not found a place for that man of the cloth in heaven if that is any condolence.

OP
OP
Metal Magnet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being from cincinnati and catholic, I think I would give it back to the church. They want nothing to do with remembering what or who he was. For me it seems fitting the archdiocese deal with the medal.
Just my 2 cents, way to go on your 2 cents/ and quarter!

good thought. i also like the idea of bringing deeds to light. thanks for the comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread