Black Carpet Cleanout Tips?

Apr 20, 2023
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have one, but haven't used it yet. It's a yellow and black one from Amazon. Says like 11" but whatever I look for gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
turn it over and beat the snot out of it on your sluice ! & keep eyeing it for any pieces
ace's that didn't get removed ! OR wait untill the mat is dry and then turn it over and beat it

OP
OP
ThrowingStones77
Apr 20, 2023
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have one, but haven't used it yet. It's a yellow and black one from Amazon. Says like 11" but whatever I look for gold.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for responding Russ! I'm just going to have to really lay into it! It's been dry and will not come out when I beat it. I'm going to also try a paintbrush of some sort to try to get it out. We'll see. I assume that backed moss will get even more loaded up with sands/magnetite/gold than the carpet, right? Do you know if backed moss is a lot easier to clean gold out of than carpet though?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for responding Russ! I'm just going to have to really lay into it! It's been dry and will not come out when I beat it. I'm going to also try a paintbrush of some sort to try to get it out. We'll see. I assume that backed moss will get even more loaded up with sands/magnetite/gold than the carpet, right? Do you know if backed moss is a lot easier to clean gold out of than carpet though?
Give this a try, roll it up tightly with the top facing outward. Beat on it then shake it out.
When you decide not to use the carpet anymore, burn it and pan the ashes.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Burning plastic mats makes a plastic mess and then to try to remove the fine gold out of it is something else ! But I agree with your post on Tring to get the fine gold out of it !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread