Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the first one on the left is called a dipper, and was used to dip drinking water ?? I find them here in the keys sometimes. Not sure about the one on right....I think it was mounted or hafted on a stick because of the holes.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice, What was in the Black Drink?

One of the main ingredients is said to be Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria) the only North American plant with significant amounts of caffeine. The folks would reportedly drink large quantities until they puked, hence the plant was given the name vomitoria. I have been growing a few varieties of it and can confirm that it works well brewed as a morning substitute for coffee.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Hal, I have to ask; have you tried drinking from the one on the left. I know I would have tried it at least once if I found them. I will admit that I actually cut meat with some of my blades before.

OP
OP
H.P.

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Hal, I have to ask; have you tried drinking from the one on the left. I know I would have tried it at least once if I found them. I will admit that I actually cut meat with some of my blades before.
I was never that thirsty, but I have cut carrots and stuff with blades...

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY

I will be utilizing one of my knives and scraper to assist me in the skinning and processing of at least one deer I plan to harvest later this year. Excited to try the ancient technology, I expect I will feel the connection to ancient man even more when doing this. Heck, I?ve thought about halting one of my bigger blades and dropping out of tree for the keel. These deer get way too close out here for their own well being. I will post some pics this fall utilizing ancient tools. That?s the plan anyway

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will be utilizing one of my knives and scraper to assist me in the skinning and processing of at least one deer I plan to harvest later this year. Excited to try the ancient technology, I expect I will feel the connection to ancient man even more when doing this. Heck, I?ve thought about halting one of my bigger blades and dropping out of tree for the keel. These deer get way too close out here for their own well being. I will post some pics this fall utilizing ancient tools. That?s the plan anyway

Looking forward to it quinn

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please take a video of you "dropping out of the tree". We will have something to remember you by!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread