🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLAZING Seated Quarter, Sword Hanger, Cap Badge Jew's Harp

Hello All!

When I asked my wife Diggergirl what she wanted for Valentine's Day, she said--to go digging, of course! So we went out to an old favorite site of ours to try and find something good. Here's the video:

As Quindy had foretold, DG continued to be a "holy terror" with her new Tesoro Tejon. For a while, she kept coming up to me with more and more finds. When we first got out in the field, no sooner had I put on my brand new pair of digging gloves than she came up to me with a plow-mangled but complete Jew's Harp. Next time I send of a couple relics to be restored, I'll put the harp in the box with the rest. :) I only have dug one complete jew's harp ever. Of course, I have many pieces from plowed fields. So I was happy to see her dig this one. Then she comes up with an Indian Head Cent. Then another. Then she dug a worn-out V Nickel. Then a Buffalo. I thought that this would be the way the day would go. Then things started to turn around for me slowly. It started with a really nice Buffalo that actually had a date (1935). Then I got what I thought was a fired minieball? (Will weigh it to confirm). And I eyeballed a clay marble on top of the ground:

HPIM5088.JPG

(Little did I know that she'd already eyeballed THREE marbles!) Then she comes up to me grinning and holding a perfect bridle rosette and the hand from a clock. The clock hand is a strange find, but that's what it almost has to be...

HPIM5111.JPG

Then she comes up with a Sword Hanger in her hand! Then she comes running with a nice civilian two-piece button with a leaf design. I was fading, and needed a good find, quick. Knowing that a site is mixed, containing everything from aluminum tax tokens from the 30s all the way back to Colonial era relics, buttons, buckles, and spanish silver--that's a real trip. But in the part of the site where I was, I didn't think I'd find anything really old. I'd dug some wheat pennies, and lots of aluminum toothpaste tubes from there, along with aluminum pieces of old ice trays, industrial junk, and brass pipe fittings. Plus, it was littered with iron. As I worked the area slowly, I dug several handfulls of aluminum and junk. Then I got a signal that locked in right at 81 on my F75. I knew this was likely a silver quarter. I dug carefully the first scoop out of the hole, and--the target disappeared! Strongly suspecting that it was either in the loose dirt at the bottom of the hole or on edge, I scooped with my hands one scoop out of the hole and saw that the coin had been on edge over to the side of the hole. It was a silver quarter! :headbang:

HPIM5089.JPG

At this point, I'm thinking it's gotta be a Washington, but I have dug a Standing Liberty from that same field before... So I start filming and take the coin out from the dirt. One side is so crusted up with dirt that I can't see anything at all:

HPIM5092.JPG

But when I turn it over--it's a SEATED!

HPIM5091.JPG HPIM5095.JPG

It was a SWEET 1858-O!

We continued on, clearing all the iron out of the site. I figure we dug about 250 lbs of iron. It was one large full and overflowing bucket as well as many very large pieces. For those of you who think this is a pain, try putting a silver dime under a big chunk of iron and tell me if you hear it at all in an air test. ;) Plus, it means that you don't have to put up with as noisy of a site the second, third, and fourth times 'round. You'll actually hear deeper if you clear the iron out.

iron.jpg

I dug a small caliber pistol bullet, tax token, and a possible piece of a spur. She dug a barrel tap and a nice concho. We both got a couple flat buttons. Then on my last row of the day I dug a hat pin from the Bingham Military School, which was located in Asheville NC. I have no earthly clue what this is doing in Louisiana!

OK, here are some photos--and happy Mardi Gras, everybody! :occasion14:

My nice 1935 Buffalo. The nicest Buffalo I've dug in LA. Her 2-piece button.

HPIM5101.JPG HPIM5102.JPG HPIM5106.JPG

Her 1901 V Nickel (back is toast) and a blackened, burned 1919 Buffalo she dug:

HPIM5103.JPG HPIM5104.JPG HPIM5105.JPG

Her bridle rosette and holed 1886 IH:

HPIM5112.JPG HPIM5113.JPG HPIM5107.JPG

Her 1889 IH and Sword Hanger (photo coming soon, but you can see it in the group finds photo below):

HPIM5109.JPG HPIM5110.JPG

The Bingham Military School Cap Badge I dug:

HPIM5121.JPG HPIM5122.JPG

My beautiful 1858-O Seated Quarter:

HPIM5117.JPG HPIM5116.JPG

And a photo of all the finds. Mine left of center and hers right of center:

HPIM5119.JPG HPIM5120.JPG

Happy Hunting, everybody!

-Buck and DG

Last edited:
Upvote 37

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, awesome finds, as usual but the best find to me seems to be Diggergirl, you did pretty darn good on that find

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer haul and that quarter is really sharp. Do you always clean out the iron like that? Makes sense.

Always. Thanks for your reply, CP. You've been making some fantastic finds lately yourself!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, awesome finds, as usual but the best find to me seems to be Diggergirl, you did pretty darn good on that find

She will always be my best find ever.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You two make a deadly detecting team Will. :thumbsup: Congrats to both of you on the awesome recoveries. That seated quarter is SWEET Dude!!! :occasion14: Sure beats a Barber. :laughing7:
I sent you some pictures of the hat pins from the Bingham Military School in Asheville. That's exactly what you have there. Weird that it ended up way down there. :dontknow: Maybe the young lad was visiting a brothel? :tongue3:
Congrats to you and DG.
-Doug-

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buck!! Nice Finds as always and Congrats!! Hope all of you are well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Another solid hunt you guys!
As always, silver is your friend and continued success

If I was throwing that iron boomerang ,it would not be coming back lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds BB & DG
Awesome Buttons
The Buff,& Indians Are Great Too 'Even Holed.
The Seated Quarter is##$$$%, Well it is what it is , Did it "Maybe" get a Shovel mark or two ? If so that's OK but better You than me. LOL
In my area Est , 250 lbs of Iron Would Being $20+ dollars then I'd save the money of buy a Nice coin of some type.
Great hunt
Davers-----CW bullets To.Heck Yeah.

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That eagle badge is pretty. Nice find!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read your first sentence to my wife and she rolled her eyes. I'm gonna call my wife Diggergrump.

Looks like Doug nailed it. Sweet finds

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done BB, that's quite a haul for sure. The quarter is in awesome condition too. Congrats.
ZDD

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds.Big congrats on the quarter!very nice.Sounds like you married a good one:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You two make a deadly detecting team Will. :thumbsup: Congrats to both of you on the awesome recoveries. That seated quarter is SWEET Dude!!! :occasion14: Sure beats a Barber. :laughing7:
I sent you some pictures of the hat pins from the Bingham Military School in Asheville. That's exactly what you have there. Weird that it ended up way down there. :dontknow: Maybe the young lad was visiting a brothel? :tongue3:
Congrats to you and DG.
-Doug-

Thanks for the ID help my friend, and thanks for the link to an EXACT match! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another solid hunt you guys!
As always, silver is your friend and continued success

If I was throwing that iron boomerang ,it would not be coming back lol

Yeah, that's a "throw it and run like hell" kind of toy :laughing7:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds BB & DG
Awesome Buttons
The Buff,& Indians Are Great Too 'Even Holed.
The Seated Quarter is##$$$%, Well it is what it is , Did it "Maybe" get a Shovel mark or two ? If so that's OK but better You than me. LOL
In my area Est , 250 lbs of Iron Would Being $20+ dollars then I'd save the money of buy a Nice coin of some type.
Great hunt
Davers-----CW bullets To.Heck Yeah.

No, it did not get a shovel mark. This coin was found in a plowed field. Most coins I dig have at least a scratch or scrape from the plow. Some are bent into a taco!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read your first sentence to my wife and she rolled her eyes. I'm gonna call my wife Diggergrump.

Looks like Doug nailed it. Sweet finds

Diggergrump! :laughing3:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'm diggin' that sweet Seated quarter BB. You know it's at least a $300 coin. Looks like diggergirl has good control of that Tejon, better watch out. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread