🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLAZING Seated Quarter, Sword Hanger, Cap Badge Jew's Harp

Hello All!

When I asked my wife Diggergirl what she wanted for Valentine's Day, she said--to go digging, of course! So we went out to an old favorite site of ours to try and find something good. Here's the video:

As Quindy had foretold, DG continued to be a "holy terror" with her new Tesoro Tejon. For a while, she kept coming up to me with more and more finds. When we first got out in the field, no sooner had I put on my brand new pair of digging gloves than she came up to me with a plow-mangled but complete Jew's Harp. Next time I send of a couple relics to be restored, I'll put the harp in the box with the rest. :) I only have dug one complete jew's harp ever. Of course, I have many pieces from plowed fields. So I was happy to see her dig this one. Then she comes up with an Indian Head Cent. Then another. Then she dug a worn-out V Nickel. Then a Buffalo. I thought that this would be the way the day would go. Then things started to turn around for me slowly. It started with a really nice Buffalo that actually had a date (1935). Then I got what I thought was a fired minieball? (Will weigh it to confirm). And I eyeballed a clay marble on top of the ground:

HPIM5088.JPG

(Little did I know that she'd already eyeballed THREE marbles!) Then she comes up to me grinning and holding a perfect bridle rosette and the hand from a clock. The clock hand is a strange find, but that's what it almost has to be...

HPIM5111.JPG

Then she comes up with a Sword Hanger in her hand! Then she comes running with a nice civilian two-piece button with a leaf design. I was fading, and needed a good find, quick. Knowing that a site is mixed, containing everything from aluminum tax tokens from the 30s all the way back to Colonial era relics, buttons, buckles, and spanish silver--that's a real trip. But in the part of the site where I was, I didn't think I'd find anything really old. I'd dug some wheat pennies, and lots of aluminum toothpaste tubes from there, along with aluminum pieces of old ice trays, industrial junk, and brass pipe fittings. Plus, it was littered with iron. As I worked the area slowly, I dug several handfulls of aluminum and junk. Then I got a signal that locked in right at 81 on my F75. I knew this was likely a silver quarter. I dug carefully the first scoop out of the hole, and--the target disappeared! Strongly suspecting that it was either in the loose dirt at the bottom of the hole or on edge, I scooped with my hands one scoop out of the hole and saw that the coin had been on edge over to the side of the hole. It was a silver quarter! :headbang:

HPIM5089.JPG

At this point, I'm thinking it's gotta be a Washington, but I have dug a Standing Liberty from that same field before... So I start filming and take the coin out from the dirt. One side is so crusted up with dirt that I can't see anything at all:

HPIM5092.JPG

But when I turn it over--it's a SEATED!

HPIM5091.JPG HPIM5095.JPG

It was a SWEET 1858-O!

We continued on, clearing all the iron out of the site. I figure we dug about 250 lbs of iron. It was one large full and overflowing bucket as well as many very large pieces. For those of you who think this is a pain, try putting a silver dime under a big chunk of iron and tell me if you hear it at all in an air test. ;) Plus, it means that you don't have to put up with as noisy of a site the second, third, and fourth times 'round. You'll actually hear deeper if you clear the iron out.

iron.jpg

I dug a small caliber pistol bullet, tax token, and a possible piece of a spur. She dug a barrel tap and a nice concho. We both got a couple flat buttons. Then on my last row of the day I dug a hat pin from the Bingham Military School, which was located in Asheville NC. I have no earthly clue what this is doing in Louisiana!

OK, here are some photos--and happy Mardi Gras, everybody! :occasion14:

My nice 1935 Buffalo. The nicest Buffalo I've dug in LA. Her 2-piece button.

HPIM5101.JPG HPIM5102.JPG HPIM5106.JPG

Her 1901 V Nickel (back is toast) and a blackened, burned 1919 Buffalo she dug:

HPIM5103.JPG HPIM5104.JPG HPIM5105.JPG

Her bridle rosette and holed 1886 IH:

HPIM5112.JPG HPIM5113.JPG HPIM5107.JPG

Her 1889 IH and Sword Hanger (photo coming soon, but you can see it in the group finds photo below):

HPIM5109.JPG HPIM5110.JPG

The Bingham Military School Cap Badge I dug:

HPIM5121.JPG HPIM5122.JPG

My beautiful 1858-O Seated Quarter:

HPIM5117.JPG HPIM5116.JPG

And a photo of all the finds. Mine left of center and hers right of center:

HPIM5119.JPG HPIM5120.JPG

Happy Hunting, everybody!

-Buck and DG

Last edited:
Upvote 37
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer day! Smart idea taking all those iron hits with you. Can only make it better when the dirt gets flipped again!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well now I see why you hunt with Shanegalang so much...she kicks your butt, doesn't she? I have tried to take my gf with me, but she has no interest whatsoever. Big difference in her and my first wife...I took up bass fishing because she hated it, lol! Great finds...you're like the Trio...always entertaining and educational.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely fantastic hunt! The detail on the quarter is amazing! Very nice assortment of goodies!

Congratulations!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That turned out to be a great Valentine's date for you two!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Looks like you and Diggergirl had a great time. I enjoyed the video the eagle pin and the nice seated quarter. I am thinking about voting the boomerang banner but I am going to wait until after you clean it up and see if it is marked CS.LOL

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day of digging, that's some nice saves, especially that seated. Your iron pile looks like mine, I dig it all too. Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a perfect day to me buddy. A couple nice coins and relics and time with the lady. Hoping I'll be back out digging in 6 weeks. That goals looking a bit ambitious right now. I've never seen cold like this here

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome way to spend valentine's day!
You both tore it up with your finds
beautiful seated quarter!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a perfect day to me buddy. A couple nice coins and relics and time with the lady. Hoping I'll be back out digging in 6 weeks. That goals looking a bit ambitious right now. I've never seen cold like this here

I feel for ya up there abe, you're gonna need some global warming to get rid of all that ugly white stuff

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great cupid day out, what a great way of spending it out digging. Liking the silver BB it's a real beauty.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer day! Smart idea taking all those iron hits with you. Can only make it better when the dirt gets flipped again!

Darn Tootin! Thanks for the reply, Bill!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now I see why you hunt with Shanegalang so much...she kicks your butt, doesn't she? I have tried to take my gf with me, but she has no interest whatsoever. Big difference in her and my first wife...I took up bass fishing because she hated it, lol! Great finds...you're like the Trio...always entertaining and educational.

Your reply means a lot, Old Dude. Great to hear from you, and yes, it's tough when she comes along and kicks my tail almost every time...

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you and Diggergirl had a great time. I enjoyed the video the eagle pin and the nice seated quarter. I am thinking about voting the boomerang banner but I am going to wait until after you clean it up and see if it is marked CS.LOL

It is well known that one of the divisions of Confederate troops from the Army of the Lower Swampy Valley were known as the "Boomerang Corps." I think this is a CS boomerang used to take out the Yankees with a whack to the back of the skull.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day of digging, that's some nice saves, especially that seated. Your iron pile looks like mine, I dig it all too. Congrats

IMO it's never a bad idea to clear iron. Makes the hunt more enjoyable, able to hear deeper, not having to dig it a second time, etc.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The cold is coming through here right now--just in time for Mardi Gras. :( The parades were a bit of a joke with all the cold and rain. :(

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome silver there Buck, and in incredible shape. I've probably only dug 3 or 4 of those over the years, but for some reason mine are in nice shape too. I guess folks liked to hang on to the big silver so they didn't get much wear. The same is true with my barbers and SLQs too. Great find!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, very nice that you two can hunt together like that. I love the detail on that quarter. She probably found it earlier and reburied it just to be nice?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread