Blighted properties

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to get picky, the abandoned property still belongs to someone and they have a right to what is on the property.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go to where they keep the records, and see if any of the properties you are interested in has been signed over to the state.

Unless it has been, it still belongs to the original owners.

B

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
nfunk:

Would you be willing to clean up a blighted lot? Or do you just want to
fight the weeds and cherrypick for valuables?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As Sandman says: "If you want to get picky ....... " Well heck, if you "want to get picky", even if you found out uncle same now owned it, you'd have to "ask them". But I wouldn't. I'd consider that public property ;D

Or if some nameless faceless bank in another city who repossessed it, or a nameless faceless insurance company in another state who paid off the previous owners in cash d/t it's un-inhabitable now, etc....), I suppose you could get technical and say you even have to ask them too. But again, I'd just hit it, if it were/is abandoned. You're not inside a building, and if the yard isn't fenced or posted .........

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ALL called trespassing.

I do, occasionally draw the line at government property - since - we are the true owners when the government owns it, imo.

B

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
It's a real sticky wicket detecting any property you don't own or have written permission to detect.
Could be a criminal event... and that's something you really don't want.

If you're pushing the envelope, detecting what you think is abandoned property, be ready to exit immediately, and cordially, if confronted by someone.

Should I admit to detecting upon some old rundown properties that were posted for sale? Could I quickly declare in my defense that the 'For Sale' sign was an invitation for a possible buyer to inspect the property? IF my detector found a diamond ring every square foot, I'd probably take them up on their asking price !

It's nothing I'd advise.
I don't think they'll provide an internet link in my jail cell.

Far better to do things with research and written permission.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If I were in your location and wanted to hunt abandoned property I would
talk to local police who patrol that area to get their opinion. Like I said before
mowing and cleaning junk from the lot might be invited rather than frowned on.
I'm not saying you have to haul off trash, just take to back for garbage disposal. I would at least want to get the grass and weeds down to ground
level for easy detecting. The only worry I would have is any gang activity and
would not even consider being there in that case.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
If it's not public property (parks, parkways, etc.) Then somebody owns it, no matter what it looks like. I would not want anyone coming onto my property, So I dont go on others without prior permission. Just ask.

I was once detecting the grass strip along the curb in front of a fenced "blighted" property and the property manager asked if I could find a set of keys he just lost behind the house while checking on the property. Yep. found them and he let me detect the whole property. Didnt find anything great, but a couple buffs. one merc, and a bunch of wheaties.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But But that's "tresspassing " :happy1:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread