Blood Sucking Oil Companys and Bush

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll sign a petition that creates a Roosevelt-style job corps or an Apollo-type program that encourages and funds scientific research into the most promising alternative energies ( hygrogen fuel, solar, wind,certain bio-fuels like algae)....the job corps could be subsidized like the Rural Electrification Job Corps in the 1930's) to replace or augment hot water systems with passive solar water heaters) throughout the whole country.This alone would save as much oil as all this new drilling talk which is not a long term solution and as such should be abandoned. Let's jettison the old stale thinking folks...!

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Hey rmptr, it sounds like if a guy had saved and invested his money when times were really good, he would probably have the money to get some really good deals on land and houses and tools and such!
Don't tell me that everybody out there just pissed away all of their money from when times were great?? Why do Americans refuse to work hard, stay out of debt, wisely invest their money??? Right NOW is the time when smart people are bargain shopping, and those who had no plan are bitching and moaning! The greedy people who lied on mortgage applications in order to get a bigger house than they could afford, the same ones snapping up big screen HD t.v,s, probably driving cars they could never afford, trying to live the big life on credit??? Nope I don't really feel to bad about them. Sorry you are caught up in the slow down...
And Robin, for someone who has a mother that was alive in "The" depression, which should make you at least 40 years old, I find it hard to believe that you are confusing what we have here with a depression??? We are merely in a slowdown as of right now, not even a recession yet. Why are so many gloom and doomers so quick to put us in a depression?? Seems like too many of you are watching CNN, or listening to AirAmerica.
Nobody ever promised you a job in the town you grew up in! Move to another town! Don't wait for the job to come to you, go to the job for crying out loud!! Just my thoughts..... Gpurs...

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
So is that a website funded by gerogie soros, or code pinko. Hell, I can make a website and make things up too. If our country is going to switch to hydrogen, alcohol, or some other fuel source you can bet the "energy" companies will be looking into getting their foot in the door. Why the hell wouldn't they? NOBODY likes paying $4.00 a gallon for gas. It is the failed policies of the tree huggin environMENTALISTS that have created this mess. You can have all the oil in the world, without refining capability, you are screwed!!!

John

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hey there GPURS,

Well yah put a lot of questions in there for me to sort out! LoL

I did a bit of work on Monday, and Thursday...
The house next door to my project was posted for sale.
It'll be a short sale, as the investor who bought 3 of them is about ready to dump 'em on the bank.
Asking price is down to $515k now, I could probably get it for $490k, maybe even $450k... LoL

Well GPURS, I dunno what folks spend their money on... Probably toyodas and nisans. they pretty popular.
lotta hondas and yamahas around, too... and gsxr...

I just read that 1 in 483 homes nationwide got foreclosed, or notice of default. That's a lot!
California 1 in 183, Nevada 1 in 118, and Arizona 1 in 201, are worst. Jersey is now in the top 10.

Don't know as I remember when times were great, GPURS... but it's been a couple years that I got up in the morning and went to work six days a week. The phone doesn't ring anymore...

I also heard something about stagflation... I guess that's like 'all dressed up, and nowhere to go'.
Here's the quoted explanation...
What do we mean by “stagnation?” It means absence of profit making opportunities, too much productive capacity, and much unemployment.

The economic reading I do keeps talking about derivatives, and credit default swaps... it goes right over MY head!
I'll keep reading, maybe one day I'll get it figured out... just like lehman is!

Best,
rmptr

S

Smee

GPURS said:
Hey rmptr, it sounds like if a guy had saved and invested his money when times were really good, he would probably have the money to get some really good deals on land and houses and tools and such!
Don't tell me that everybody out there just pissed away all of their money from when times were great?? Why do Americans refuse to work hard, stay out of debt, wisely invest their money??? Right NOW is the time when smart people are bargain shopping, and those who had no plan are bitching and moaning! The greedy people who lied on mortgage applications in order to get a bigger house than they could afford, the same ones snapping up big screen HD t.v,s, probably driving cars they could never afford, trying to live the big life on credit??? Nope I don't really feel to bad about them. Sorry you are caught up in the slow down...
And Robin, for someone who has a mother that was alive in "The" depression, which should make you at least 40 years old, I find it hard to believe that you are confusing what we have here with a depression??? We are merely in a slowdown as of right now, not even a recession yet. Why are so many gloom and doomers so quick to put us in a depression?? Seems like too many of you are watching CNN, or listening to AirAmerica.
Nobody ever promised you a job in the town you grew up in! Move to another town! Don't wait for the job to come to you, go to the job for crying out loud!! Just my thoughts..... Gpurs...

Ya need to do a little research. Yes the stock market crashed in 1929 --- and that's all they tell the kids in school cause that's all they taught me too back in the 1960's and 70's.

Truth is folks tried to rally and the stock market did come back up in 1930, actually doing pretty well before the bottom really caved in.

As to saving, I have two choices . . . both my wife and I work leaving my daughter in public school, or I work and my wife stay home and educate my daughter at home, so that she can actually learn something (she scored in the 99th percentile in reading this year . . . that's the top 1%) instead of going to the party called public school to be indoctrinated with a bunch of BS. This leaves very little for saving.

I don't know if you are old enough to figure things out. If you're listening to Rush and Shawn, I could understand that. They don't actually do the day-to-day stuff that most conservative people do. They are a little too leftist/elitist for my tastes.

Reality is choosing between food, gas or medicine . . . and I'm almost there. You evidently are making the big money, so I'm glad for you, but you could probably use a good dose of reality. Relax though, I'm afraid its coming and all the rah rah crap by people like Limbaugh and Hannity won't stop it. They aren't really conservatives, they are entertainers. They know their kniche, and they exploit it very well.

You know, Herbert Hoover tried to rally the folks too: "A chicken in every pot!". Ever eat a "Hoover Chicken"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_depression

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_the_Great_Depression

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
It's all over my head too - mostly because everything crammed down our throats are lies.

I know I'm working and there a ton of jobs around - not all perfect, but certaily something to get by on.

Housing in "my" town/area/city never got outta hand like the loan companies ruined it for everyone else out there. We stayed stable and muddled through... and did NOT get caught up in the national bullshhit.

I'm paying my bills, houses are still being built, businesses are opening, and although I'm not where I want to be - I'm doing okay.

Depression? Nope.
Resession? Nope.
Stagnation? I dunno.
Gas & Groceries? I'm a little more carefull now - true.

And I agree... if there are no jobs, get the hell outta town and find one! Those kids arn't leaving - they're surviving!

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I'm also a little more carefull now, not bcuz I worry about spending the funds I have or fear not being able to make more. What I fear is a self fullfilling prophecy from sheeple (sheep people) running scared and making more of the same bad decisions that got us here. I can't tell you how many people I know that took out new loans on their homes to tap their increased equity, pissed the money away and saw that equity evaporate when the comparable value of that home went back down.I truly believe the majority of that devaluation is brought about by the relentless doom and gloom the MSM preaches for the purpose of turning the popularity contest against the current Administration. Face it folks a strong stable America means the Democrates have been wrong and we don't need them to spend OUR money fixing what ain't broke.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Here are some facts about the Great Depression and today.

In 1933, 24 percent of the workforce was unemployed.
In February 2008, the U.S. unemployment rate was 4.8 percent
Between 1929 and 1933, U.S. GDP growth declined by around 30 percent, the stock market lost almost 90 percent of its value, and 40 percent of the nation's banks failed.
In the fourth quarter of 2007, GDP growth registered an 0.6 gain

The actual definition of a recession is when GDP growth is negative for two consecutive quarters or more.
So we are not there yet.
George

Robin

Apr 21, 2008
Morning all !

Yeah GPURS I was "Self-Empolyed" for that long 40 years, plus I started 2 other business's. Age wise try Threescore and one.
Yes we will see what happens when it happens, i'm not afraid of the economy
failing. I just see whats happening at the time and add Logic !
"Montana Jim" is right on ! The kids are smart who leave and ARE surviving.
Your right Bro !
Can people change the Plan, or Agenda ? I don't think so !
Best we can do is "Survive". Young and Old !
I really do feel for the younger people as its WAY differant then in the 1950's.
Its a lot of pressue on them to just "Make It ".

Its not a matter of Doom and Gloom, but based more on reality.
I certainly don't worry about food or clean water or toilet paper !
One of the other business's I had was being a "Suvival Skills Instructor" for 10 years.
I taught many "Homeschoolers" skills they will never forget.
Ever see a 8 year old girl, start a fire with a Bow and Drill ? Its really a kick.
And a lot of fun too !
I had to cut down on the wild food plants here because 10 was all they could remember at one time. 21 was beyond what even the Adults could remember.
Then showing them the best book available to learn more.
And yes a lack of Knowledge can kill people.

So its more of thinking of the younger people who are following our example and
who are really left with this situation, not to mention debt.
Like Hardy said to Laruel " This is another fine mess you got us into" !

LOL ! Robin

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Wow!
You guys are really smart and are using a lot of big words and it's getting harder to read this thread!

Miss a word here or there and the whole context of something goes out the window! ;D

...We get some folks contributing that they, or their locale seems to faring at least acceptably well, where others, such as myself are preaching gloom and doom!

It's not that I'm wanking about my personal situation, or laying fault on any particular group for not stepping up to the plate...

I am attempting to view the scenario as one of society, not specific individual situations.

Today's scenario is quite different than that of the 30's.
Our country was much more agrarian at that time.
There was NOT a majority of the general citizenry living with urban areas almost totally dependent upon a cohesive society functioning in a smooth orderly fashion.

In the past, farms were foreclosed upon when farmers could not make the bank payments.
The tentacles of finance have spread much farther than that today.
The impact of the financial discrepancies shall be felt even in the smallest bergs, and corners of the nation.

I just stumbled across another tidbit...
Twenty thousand California teachers have been advised they may be out of a job, shortly, because of budget shortfalls.

That's a lot of folks who won't be buying many different sorts of commodities and goods, which in turn are/were produced by other Americans... or importers!
How many foreclosures will it lead to?
How many will lose their automobile?
How many will have their automobile towed to an impound yard when they forego the insurance payment to buy staples, and watch as the daily impound fee skyrockets far beyond reach? Then they will take a bus to the courthouse to answer the citation and receive a monetary fine under threat of incarceration for violation of ordnance?

Yah, I'm on a new jag, to this thought of putting blame on oil companies, or GW....
Just lost a waitress at the coffee shop.
Nice gal. She just got a two week vacation at taxpayer expense because ex-husband's p/u truck wasn't properly registered some time ago... in a distant place!
She moved here for work, didn't make appearances there, because she couldn't afford the trip.
Now she gets a vacation for it.
The tax collectors prey upon the economically disadvantaged.
Then the county gets money from state for keeping criminals off the streets and housing them!

Thinking back, almost a year ago there was a flurry of news from 5 counties in southern Oregon with significant financial problems because of tax base and citizenry vote on new tax revenue laws.
A number of Sheriff's all but emptied their local jails because they did not have the budget to maintain them.
I haven't looked to see what Joe Arpayo's up to these days, but the WX is a little different over in Arizona.

Keep an eye on all those little businesses that open in the little shopping areas, and on main street....
Many of them are operated for a period of time as a tax write-off, by the spouse within a household that is otherwise ringing in pretty big bucks. You can only use so much write-off, for so long!
The sub-prime/ARM situation is escalating, and growth in foreclosures with prime loan holders exists.
Their investments are not paying off as they had in the past.
#@it trickles uphill, too!

Best,
rmptr

R

Rennwaggen

bakergeol said:
Here are some facts about the Great Depression and today.

In 1933, 24 percent of the workforce was unemployed.
In February 2008, the U.S. unemployment rate was 4.8 percent
Between 1929 and 1933, U.S. GDP growth declined by around 30 percent, the stock market lost almost 90 percent of its value, and 40 percent of the nation's banks failed.
In the fourth quarter of 2007, GDP growth registered an 0.6 gain

The actual definition of a recession is when GDP growth is negative for two consecutive quarters or more.
So we are not there yet.
George

Well, just remember that the same folks who told you that the GDP has not gone negative for 2 successive quarters also said inflation for the last 12 months was less than 5%.

You and I both know that ain't true.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I can see California as being hit hardest . The burst housing bubble was centered in California in which housing costs were incredibly overinflated. It's unemployment is 2 points higher than where I live.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/15/business/rtrcol16.php

The state's deficit is going to be 16 billion- Yes with a "B" which is more than all other states combined.
Of course it doesn't help to have a Democrat controlled government which turns a blind eye toward illegal immigration. Illegal immigrants cost California $9 billion a year which includes $7.7 billion on education for undocumented students. What do you expect from the land of Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein?

George

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
Here in pa we have poeple that have to stop there oil wells because they have no room and cant get a pickup of there oil?????????????????? Now tell me that there is a shortage is %^#$&ING BULLCRAP they know what they are doing getting eveery penny they can out of us before people start shooting oil executives

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My parents were kids during the Great Depression. They lived in the country and knew it was going on, but Mom told me they never suffered as much as others because they raised beef and planted a good garden every year. Food was short for a lot of people, as were jobs. Grandpa was a farmer and was fortunate enough to have the land necessary to feed his family. People need to plan ahead, think ahead, put aside things necessary for later.

OP
OP
Dave45

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
my mom also grew up in the depression she said they hunted all the way home from school she said she's ate every kind of bird there is, well that was indigenous to that area.

Metal Head

May 2, 2008
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 , Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Explorer SE
STOP BLAMING THE OIL COMPANIES!!

WE are the ones buying the gas! There IS an alternative if you drive less than 40 miles a day and you will save money and lessen your environmental impact by going electric. BATTERY POWERED ELECTRIC is the best answer. NOT HYDROGEN!!!!!

http://e-volks.com/

I honestly hope they raise it so high that nobody can afford it. Then we wont have a choice but to get off of it.

Co2 and polution is choking the earth and nobody will stop until there is a cheaper alternative. THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE

S

Smee

Metal Head said:
. . . There IS an alternative if you drive less than 40 miles a day and you will save money and lessen your environmental impact by going electric.

Co2 and polution is choking the earth and nobody will stop until there is a cheaper alternative. THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE

And where, pray tell, will the electricity come from? Thin air? Doesn't make any sense to me . . . to plug my car into the light socket or the gas pump still it's going to pollute. Electric won't pollute my garage, but it's polluting somewhere. Something has to be done to create that electricity. Either you burn Coal (creates Co2), burn Natural Gas (creates C02), or use Nuclear (goodness knows the environmentalists won't stand for that!!!) --- and don't mention the pollution caused when you build them big old batteries!

Don't think that is the solution. However, if the only byproduct of a fuel source is water, that sounds more logical to me . . . but I'm no rocket scientist.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Smee said:
Metal Head said:
. . . There IS an alternative if you drive less than 40 miles a day and you will save money and lessen your environmental impact by going electric.

And where, pray tell, will the electricity come from? Thin air? Doesn't make any sense to me . . . to plug my car into the light socket or the gas pump still it's going to pollute. Electric won't pollute my garage, but it's polluting somewhere. Something has to be done to create that electricity. Either you burn Coal (creates Co2), burn Natural Gas (creates C02), or use Nuclear (goodness knows the environmentalists won't stand for that!!!) --- and don't mention the pollution caused when you build them big old batteries!

Don't think that is the solution. However, if the only byproduct of a fuel source is water, that sounds more logical to me . . . but I'm no rocket scientist.

The point is moot. There is no; Easter bunny, Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, or algore's global warming. Doesn't exist, just a pyramid scheme to take more money out of our pockets each month. Drill more wells and build more refineries. That will ease the sinking feeling we feel each time we fill up...

John

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yup.

A task consumes energy.

From one source or another, it's all a matter of expediency.

We will all learn to live with less affluence.

I'd still like to have a '69 Dodge Charger Daytona with a 440 Magnum...

Or a Shelby Cobra with a 429.

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions