Blow holes:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have found a reef that has what appears to be about 9 blow holes.
But some of these holes appear to be over 150 feet in dia. and most are on the east side of this reef. There are about 4 on the south side. There is not a single hole on the west side or on the north side.
The question is were these holes dug by a blower or are they natural?
They appear to be way to big for a blower to make.
The reef is about 1200 yards from the beach.
Peg Leg

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
If these are indeed blow holes, and if the coral head itself is pretty substantial, I could see why they would check the North, East, and South sides of the reef instead of the West side - assuming of course you're on the Atlantic coast. In other words, if a ship were to have wrecked and lodged onto this reef, I would suspect most of the heavy wreckage to be deposited on the Windward side of the reef.

Another possibility is that these could simply be sink holes where the limestone far underneath the sand crumble into a subterranean void - assuming this is the geography in your area.

My two cents,

Pcolaboy

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
pecolaboy.
There is no holes on the north side. Yes this is a good size reefI would say about a little over 1/4 mile long and yes it is in the Atlantic. It is also about 150 feet wide.
I guess that I think different than most but I can see where if a ship were to hit this reef and lose its bottom then a lot of material would end up on the west side. Also I wonder why there are no holes on the north end of this reef. To me if you are blowing holes then why not cover the whole area unless a MAG reading said there was nothing there but we know that gold and silver will not shot up on a MAG.
I think that is is worth looking into later on.
Peg Leg

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I not trying to sound like a jerk, but nothing short of a small nuke is going to make a crater like your describing. I'm assuming this came from Google earth, can you post some pics?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Blowholes" from propwash excavation, are made in sand, not over a reef. That is the purpose of it as an excavation method, to remove sand, mud or clay overburden.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Personally, I would be interested in investigating areas where holes have not been blown, rather than spending time on an area that I think has already been excavated.

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
In reading Peg Legs post he says "appear to be blow holes" and "seem to big to be blow holes" Ever think hes asking a question for help on the topic?. I'm going to add to his question.... 150 feet dia hole does seem awful large, whats the largest anyone has seen or blown? I understand theres alot of varabiles involved (1or2 mailboxes, size of engine/engines, depth, matierial) so lets use seahunters boat for an example, what size of a blow hole does he get say at a detph of 15 feet? And would that be an average blow hole?

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Capt_t
In fifteen feet of water if the sand is deep I am lucky if the hole is fifty feet wide at the top, but if the sand is thin over rock I can clear an area half the size of a football field in fifteen minutes and no telling how big if I just let the blowers keep running. With the Rio Bravo you could expect a lot more. Joe could answer that.
Seahunter

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, even when we were blowing in 30-40 feet of water, the holes from the Rio Bravo weren't much bigger 40 feet, and the Bravo can BLOW! I think 150 feet is outside the capability of most if not all treasure hunting boats that I know of.

Scott, I'll be down to hunt with you soon so you don't feel short changed :D After we bring up a few reales you'll have some old Spanish change to keep you happy. LOL

Jason

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
No it was not google. It was NASA .
Google is not that sharpe and the dia. was just an estimate because one hole is very very large. There are no less than 4 holes right up against the reef.
As far as Cornelius is concerned I like the the man and am not offened with what ever he has to say to me. I respect what he has to say even when I think he is WRONG ;D.
There are a few members that I will not respond to regardless of what they have to say good or bad.
My friends what I was ASKING IS are these holes MAN MADE or NATURE MADE?.
Since even considering the direction of the wind in a Hurricane may come from different directions I just cannot understand why all the holes are on the South and southest side of this reef and the are all almost right up to the reef except the smaller holes are up against the larger holes. They look like craters on the moon.
I just thought this was unusal and so I asked the question.
My friends I was looking for some answers and that was it.
SO CARRY ON with what you were doing.
Peg leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have no idea how to do this but if you will install NASA WORLD WIND.
Go to Floridas east coast. Go to Jupiter Inlet. Now go south untill you see a white spot on the ocean. This is NOT a ship as you will see
Enlarge this spot. It will show what I am talking about with all the blow? holes.
Later
Peg leg

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Peg Leg said:
I have no idea how to do this but if you will install NASA WORLD WIND.
Go to Floridas east coast. Go to Jupiter Inlet. Now go south untill you see a white spot on the ocean. This is NOT a ship as you will see
Enlarge this spot. It will show what I am talking about with all the blow? holes.
Later
Peg leg

Peg,

Are you sure you are not looking at Seahunters site, because thats how it may look from the sky after all the holes that have been done....

Chagy..........

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Peg
I think what you have spotted is a shipwreck from the late 19th or early 20th century. I believe it was carrying sewing machines. I have dove on it before. I did not realize it was that far east,I thought it was closer to the beach. Probably one of the previous subcontractors on our site did not know about it and thinking they had found something went there and blew some exploratory holes. With the ribs sticking up from the bottom they probably thought they had found the bottom of our wreck. I am pretty sure this is the answer, but will go out next trip and verify. Sorry it took me so long to realize what you were talking about. But I sure do like that website, that could come in handy.
Thanks
Seahunter

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cornelius said:
I am with you on this one Brad . Blowholes are a natural phenomena . It has to do with cave-ins / erosion of the calcium rock . Is Peg Leg chasing one of his ghosts again ? Cornelius
Cornelious
Blowholes are not a natural phenomena. We create them with boats with blowers attached to them that direct water at the bottom of the ocean which creates large holes. You can see pictures of these blowers on the back of my boat if you are not familar with them.
Pegleg is not chasing a ghost ship but happens to have spotted a well known wreck here in south Florida which if you had taken the time and treated him seriously you would have realized.
Seahunter

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6
I did not realize the only thing that could be discussed would be in direct relation to the title of a thread even though the topic of the thread is a question of a different nature. The last nine posts were a natural evolution of a thread of which the purpose was to brainstorm about what may have happened to the ship. Not all of us are as knowledgeable as you and cornelious and know the answer to every question with there being no possibility that someone elses ideas could have any merit.
And how would the name of my marina have anything to do with any topic? Is that not for a pm?

Seahunter

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here we go again......GUYS, GUYS, GUYS.....PLEASE....with all doe respect to EVERYONE......lets stop this BS on an open forum......fist of all you have taken over Pegs thread for you personal disagreements......second of all we should use this forum to contribute with ideas, theories, knowledge, information, etc. and to answer questions if we think we have the answer......or to give an opinion.....and not necessarily everyone else will agree with those ideas, opinions, theories, answers, knowledge, etc. .......but for the single fact that someone might not agree it doesn't give anyone the right to offend others or make fun of them.....
What can be a joke to someone may be offencive to others......this is the reason why we have lost so many good members WITH THE KNOWLEDGE to contribute to this forum and this is the reason why some members with the knowledge don't post anymore because they think we are a bunch of clowns and don't want to be in the middle of this BS......we have all been guilty of this at some point including my self........I do apologize if I have offended anyone for getting the record straight.....but it had to be said.....And one more thing I believe we have also lost new members because they ask questions and they get attacked because they don't have knowledge.....obviously when people don't have knowledge they need to ask questions to learn and this should be the right place to do so......I have learned allot of the stuff I know from this forum and the members in it......

God bless you all, respectfully,

Luis...aka.... Chagy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread