Blower (Mailbox) Construction for Our New Boat

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Robert...

Congratulations on your boat and your dreams!!! Keep your family members close... like your 7 year old shadow... and your understanding wife. Keep them with you and on your side. I know how important that is because when I want to take off to go "bottle hunting" with my dive buddies, my wife knows that I am underwater looking... searching for and finding bottles... doing what I love and not in some bar drinking and flirting with someone else... "Trust" my friend is the name of the game. ;)

Listen...
I have a few extra items that I can ship down your way... extra life jackets, anchor rope, flare kits, first aid kits... stuff that you need to have for the Coast Guard inspections. If you need any of those things and you want to save a little money... PM me and let me know. That way, I won't feel bad asking you if I can come aboard and join you for a few days here and there... ::)

Good luck to you... she looks great. You guys have put a lot of hard work, love and care into that boat. wishing you well,

Wayne

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wayne, I think I can speak for the whole group and say, "Yes!" :) How generous of you. I have PM'd you an address to send it to. Our hobby can sometimes attract greed and a hoarding mentality. Your willingness to give is refreshing. Tnet is such a wonderful place to network with like-minded guys and gals. You are welcome to join us anytime!

Godspeed!
Darren

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
FISHEYE said:
the tank i have on my truck can suck out 120 gallons of oil at a resturant in less then 2 minutes.theres 8 resturants that i collect from less then 2 blocks from where i live.the centrifudge i have here can process 60 gallons an hour.all automatic.i dont need to babysit the process,if i make a bigger centrifudge i can process 300 gallons an hour.

my fuel tank on my boat is 600 gallons.to buy diesel at $3.00 a gallon would be $1800.both my engines burn 2 gallons an hour at 10 knots.so the way i see it,i spend less time working to pay for fuel and spend more time out on my boat looking for and finding treasure.
fisheye,
Why don't you go into business selling your refined biodiesel.
Can you provide more info on your process and what the cost was to get your equipment in order. There are plenty of places I can get all the bio material I can handle.
I just might do this as a side line.
Just thinking out loud.
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peg leg,

when you go into the fuel biz here or anywhere in the usa,you get people involed from the gov like the epa,dep an so on.plus you get taxed for it as well.i would like to keep it low key for my personal use only.plus im sure insurance companies wont like the idea of running a unaproved alt fuel in my truck and boat.then you have liability problems if i were to sell it an someones car or boat catches fire or blows up due to them being stoopid.anything can happen.SVO an biodiesel is actually safer then any other fuel out there.id rather not get involved with selling it.then the price goes up,right now the oil is free,id like to keep it that way.the gov sells biodiesel for as much as reg diesel goes for.they arent making it from used oil so thats why its costing them.this way im recycleing it an putting it to good use an doing my part to save the environment as little as it may be.plus the used oil is alot better for my engines,less wear an tear.all the new diesel thats now made doesnt have the sulphor content so now you have to add oil to your fuel so you dont damage your engine.how many people know about this an wha it does to your engine is not known,im sure most car an truck diesel owners dont even know about it.so in time thier engines wont last as long.lets just keep it simple and free.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
You are correct-this is something I NEVER THOUGHT OF.
WAL-MART sells their Veggie Oil after they do some kind of processing but the McDonalds in the same location does not (strange don't you think).
There is also a BEAN THAT CAN BE GROUND INTO A COOKING OIL THAT YOU CAN USE IN YOUR VEHICLE.
I BELIEVE IT IS A JACOBA BEAN

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well we already started to work on the first blower and Steve got allot done in the fiberglass work...
more tomorrow.....

Attachments

• 308.jpg
    308.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,891
  • 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,928
  • 311.jpg
    311.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,996

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
GREAT! You guys are kicking a$$!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleg,

mcdonalds has a wvo company that comes to thier location,plugs into inlets an outlets on the side of the building,suck out old oil an pumps in new.i dont know what walmart does with thier oil,never asked,i like to stick to the mom an pop small resturants for my oil,less red tape.

chagy,jason,rgecy,

sat morning me an frank are headed to my boat in sebastian,i may stop by your boat on the way down to make sure you guys arent slacking off.i see gdaddyflex has jumped ship(haha)did you guys raise the ceiling for him?.we will be in sebastian for several days.got lots of work to do on my boat plus the marina an have to pay a visit to the deep venture.gonna need alot of help getting it off the island right around july.i wont be near a computer while down there.so you guys can call my cell.stop on by,dont worry you wont have to do any work.

John

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well the second blower got in yesterday...we still have allot to do but its starting to look nice....

Attachments

• 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,850
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,764
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,757

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We hooked up our rig with a new CD AM FM marine radio, plasma TV, and Sround system....here is Jason hooking up the radio......And The Chagyman working while RGecy was in vacation ;D

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,738
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,750

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looking good! I left some of my tools and the little Ice Cube cooler over there. The tools were in a white bag I think Mal-Wart or something. It had a couple metal cutting and thin kerf plywood circular saw blades, some sanding discs, my blue handled rigging crimpers and other misc stuff. Some stuff that I know when I left yesterday-to do, was a few wires under the flybridge helm need butt-connected, the 2 rectangular SS 1" x 1/2" plates above the stereo hold the shift cables on flybridge-look at the throttle cables to see how they fit. Also we need to leave in a screw on each corner of the flybridge coaming and dip all screws in 5200 and make sure there is a SS finish washer on each, then pull the 4 corners screws and dip them, also do that with all flybridge railing screws. The generator needs the switch put on, also it has no muffler, just straight out the rear-might be a lot better with an airlift muffler-looked to be about 1 1/2" in and out. Cant think of anything else. Maybe I can get back over soon, but have some projects here. See Ya, Steve. Oh, leave my stuff on the boat and I will get them next time I am over.

OP
OP
rgecy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Steve,

Thanks for your help! This is definitely a team effort!

Well I am done with my vacation! I think most of the gang has taken a break for several days to do Father's Day, etc! I will be heading back down on Tuesday to finish up the blowers and glass in the transom. Definitely a couple more days of work!

Way to go guys! We should have her ready after this wind dies down next week!

Robert

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
sandman67 said:
My wife and I where driving around at the port and saw the boat, it,s really comming along. That is alot of boat for $6,000 dollars.

We got a sweet deal..but we were on the look for over six month....(the one who seeks shall find)
I wanrt to thank all the guys for their hard work...Tom, Steve, Brad, Pete, Jason and who else was there? Ohhh!!!! yes I remember now!!!! the guy in vacation, Rob ;D :D :D :D
I know it was lots of fun and that we had a great time while at it but its still hard work under the sun...and yes for some reason the Coronas do taste better ;D :D :D :D

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
Looks great.

But it brings a question. Are there any plans for hooking the two
mailboxes together to help eliminate them from rocking back and forth
when sea conditions get alittle rough? From the views in the photos it
appears that the only thing holding the deflectors in place (when down)
are the bolts going through the transom. When they swing side to side
this will put alot of strain on the transom bolts as the aluminum channel
is just so wide. I know that you guys are not finished but I think it deserves
some consideration. Just a thought

Nice job

Dinkydick

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I just made a deal with a metal recycler to pay him for anything he buys as scrap.
I was talking with an employee of a Metal Scrap yard when he told me that last week his boss bought a BLOWER tube for $0.70 a pound.
I asked him if they ever had any brass marine items qand he said all the time. I told him that I will buy anthing he had but only at the price he would sell as scrap. He then told me that he had a few Brass Portholes with the glass not broken. Next week I will take a look.
Shame I did not get a chance to purchase the Aluminum blower tube.
Maybe next time.
He also said that they get in Brass/Bronze props all the time. The sizes vary from very small to very large.
Will check their condition next week.
Peg Leg

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looking at the setup, it looks just like SEAHUNTER's blower setup. He never had any problems with lateral stability. We can just try it out and see what happens. The only thing SEAHUNTER had to do was replace the bolt bearings the following year.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually our framing tubes are 1" bigger than Scott's I think, and we have a few less horsepower. We have talked about joining the mailboxes with a swim platform across the top, still looking for just the right thing. I'm stopping by a used boat parts store in Ft. Lauderdale on my way back to the Cape tuesday morning. I'm in Miami for the weekend, but will head back soon.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread