Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my first detector for just over a year.....a Fisher F75 (Standard). I have used a number of different headphones, both cheap and high dollar. I have found that I like the inexpensive Koss, behind the neck and over the ear headphones the best for both performance and comfort. However, I still don't like having that %^&$ cord getting in the way.

To resolve this, I have ordered a Bluetooth dongle and Bluetooth headphones, hoping this will work well with my detector. If it works, it will be a wonderful thing not to be tethered to the machine!!

If anyone has tried this, please, let me know how it worked out. In any event, I will post back with my experience after the items arrive. The dongle was about $25, the headphones about $30, both purchased through Amazon. (Sears sells the identical dongle for twice the price)

Dongle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GF7Y/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Sound-ORACO-ERM28-GBA01-Headphones-Black/dp/B0040Z1EHY/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure there are probably better systems out there, but, I am elated with what I got. I can't see any reason to pay the big buck$ for something that may or may not be a whole lot better.......this works fine for me!

PaulInNJ

Greenie
Jan 11, 2012
Morris County, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greydigger said:
I love the idea of wireless.
Always get the wire messed up when I dig and stuff.
Bought an FM transmitter made for radios and FM wireless headphones but the freqs had a lot of other sigs coming in.

If you already have headphones you love, you can "convert" them to Bluetooth with this gadget (Jabra Bluetooth stereo headset) and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CLIPPER...33SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322600126&sr=8-1

Plug in your 'phones and pair it. Bonus: The Jabra pairs with two BT devices so you can pair your cellphone as well. If it rings it overrides the detector.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PaulInNJ said:
greydigger said:
I love the idea of wireless.
Always get the wire messed up when I dig and stuff.
Bought an FM transmitter made for radios and FM wireless headphones but the freqs had a lot of other sigs coming in.

If you already have headphones you love, you can "convert" them to Bluetooth with this gadget (Jabra Bluetooth stereo headset) and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-CLIPPER...33SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322600126&sr=8-1

Plug in your 'phones and pair it. Bonus: The Jabra pairs with two BT devices so you can pair your cellphone as well. If it rings it overrides the detector.

That is all well and good, especially, if you have the need to use your BT phone at the same time. It did occur to me, however, that you still have to wad up the headphone wire somehow and store it somewhere when using the clip on Jabra. Arctic makes a BT headset (instead of just phones) with a microphone, so you can switch over to your BT phone if a call comes in while detecting. Bottom line, get what works for you......I just wanted a wireless setup for detecting and what I got worked for me.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roland58 I ordered the same set up as you have and I'll be testing it on the E Trac, it should be in, in a couple of days , where did you get the adapter ? radio shack ?
Marty :headbang:

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snakeyes said:
Roland58 I ordered the same set up as you have and I'll be testing it on the E Trac, it should be in, in a couple of days , where did you get the adapter ? radio shack ?
Marty :headbang:

I have a couple of them that came with different brands of headphones, however, they are available from a variety of vendors, i.e. Radio Shack, maybe Best Buy. I know you can get them on the internet and they are very inexpensive. The one I am using is gold plated and very short making the connection much less likely to get hit. I believe they make 90 degree adapters which would be ideal. In fact, I found this with a quick Google search:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/adapters/1-4-to-1-8-3-5mm-adapters/35-566/prod35566.html . I may order one of these for myself!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply, I'll try and find one locally, the price is right, then shipping triples the price :angry5:
marty

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snakeyes said:
Thanks for the reply, I'll try and find one locally, the price is right, then shipping triples the price :angry5:
marty

Well, poopybutt........I forgot to look at that. Take a look on Amazon, maybe you can find something else you "need", get the total up to $25 and you can get free shipping, ;D

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got everything together and in the charger, I'll test it tomorrow and report back

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright: I give this a big thumbs up, worked perfect with the E Trac :icon_thumleft: I took it out to a park near my house and used it for a couple of hours, the head phones are so light, if it weren't for the hum of the thresh hold you could easily forget you were wearing them. The ground is so hard that I didn't dig much, just a couple of zinc pennies, but once the city starts watering again I'll go get the gold and silver I left for later ;D
Thanks again to Roland58
Marty

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is swigging the extra weight of the transmitter best described as negligible? I would think so.
I like this idea too :icon_thumleft: Thanks for the winter project.
I am slowly realizing....."the cost of the Detector can be reasonable by some standards but the cost of the ancillary gear (digging tools, bags, headphones, proper attire, pinpointer , bluetooth, gps, and more!!!) can drive you into poor house.
Billy

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thearchivedept said:
Is swigging the extra weight of the transmitter best described as negligible? I would think so.
I like this idea too :icon_thumleft: Thanks for the winter project.
I am slowly realizing....."the cost of the Detector can be reasonable by some standards but the cost of the ancillary gear (digging tools, bags, headphones, proper attire, pinpointer , bluetooth, gps, and more!!!) can drive you into poor house.
Billy

Billy,
If you look closely at the pics I posted, you will see that the transmitter is quite small......smaller than a standard business card and about 1/4" thick.
It doesn't weigh a significant amount.....you could not tell if it is mounted or not without looking. I did put a small piece of masking tape over the USB port just to keep dirt out. I made a narrow fold at one end of the tape to make it easy to remove for charging. I also picked up a 12v to USB charging plug (fits in the cigarette lighter socket of your vehicle) with dual USB ports for charging in the field.

Snakeyes,
Have you noticed a need to perform pairing again upon your next use? I thought the devices were supposed to 'remember' each other once properly paired, but, mine seem to forget. It's no biggie, as pairing only takes a few seconds, but, I don't think it should be necessary. I'm really glad that you are happy with the set up......I know I am! Also, regarding the threshold hum.....I usually set mine one step below the point at which the noise begins to keep it quiet. Not sure how that might affect performance, but, I haven't noticed any degredation. That E-trac of yours sure interests me.....how long have you had it and how do you like it? That's probably way too off topic, PM me if you have a reply......thanks. Isn't it nice not to be tethered to your machine!? :hello2:

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out to the park again this afternoon and the head set paired up just fine. I never was able to get either one to fully discharge, so I'll use them till they quit before recharging.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snakeyes said:
I went out to the park again this afternoon and the head set paired up just fine. I never was able to get either one to fully discharge, so I'll use them till they quit before recharging.

Same thing here. I made two outings, the first about 2.5 - 3 hours and the second about 3 - 4 hours and they were both still running fine. I went ahead and charged mine, even though the instructions say to discharge them completely the first few times, which I don't understand. That sounds like the way we had to charge the older NiCad's. The newer NiMH, Li-ion and Li-Polymer batteries do not take a memory, so.....? I know for a fact that it is soooo nice to be free of the wire. :icon_thumleft:

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Roland58.
I've been following this thread with interest and have decided to "try it out" & duplicate your results.
Doesn't cost THAT much anyway. One question for you though....do you concern yourself with this
set-up as it relates to the controversial subject of extended cell-phone use & increased cancer? There
is no hard evidence, of course, but with the receiver on the phones next to your ear for many hours
while hunting (longer, I would think, than most cell phone calls) I wonder if you've given it any thought?
Just askin'!

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice warm day today,in the mid 50"s and no wind for a change. Any way I went out the neighbor hood park for 2 1/2 hours so that about 7 hours with out recharging, I really impressed with both the dongle and the head phones. If the weather holds I'll go out again tomorrow, I plan on seeing how long the charge will last.
HH
Marty

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pyrogort said:
Hey Roland58.
I've been following this thread with interest and have decided to "try it out" & duplicate your results.
Doesn't cost THAT much anyway. One question for you though....do you concern yourself with this
set-up as it relates to the controversial subject of extended cell-phone use & increased cancer? There
is no hard evidence, of course, but with the receiver on the phones next to your ear for many hours
while hunting (longer, I would think, than most cell phone calls) I wonder if you've given it any thought?
Just askin'!

It's a legitimate question and one that I know very little about, however, it is my understanding that the detrimental affect of cell phone use results from the RF transmitter, NOT the receiver. Maybe we should be concerned about elbow cancer, or, kidney cancer since the dongle (transmitter) is in relative proximity to both. I rarely use a cell phone and don't worry about those issues.....if they do, in fact, exist. I'm not sure that there has been anything proven beyond any doubt, as yet. If the headphones had a Tx capability, I guess they would qualify for concern.....as a simple receiver, I have no concern.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Looks like coming out of the Dongle is a mini stereo plug.
Then going into the MD you need a PL-259 plug.
Is that right?
My Whites machine just takes a mini phono plug.
So I would not need adapter?
Thanks for the info.
Grey

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greydigger said:
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Looks like coming out of the Dongle is a mini stereo plug.
Then going into the MD you need a PL-259 plug.
Is that right?
My Whites machine just takes a mini phono plug.
So I would not need adapter?
Thanks for the info.
Grey

That is correct. The dongle has a 3.5mm or 1/8" stereo plug.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdsieg,
It took me a while to figure out why someone had reposted one of my posts.....I finally saw your question. No, these are NOT noise cancelling headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread