Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my first detector for just over a year.....a Fisher F75 (Standard). I have used a number of different headphones, both cheap and high dollar. I have found that I like the inexpensive Koss, behind the neck and over the ear headphones the best for both performance and comfort. However, I still don't like having that %^&$ cord getting in the way.

To resolve this, I have ordered a Bluetooth dongle and Bluetooth headphones, hoping this will work well with my detector. If it works, it will be a wonderful thing not to be tethered to the machine!!

If anyone has tried this, please, let me know how it worked out. In any event, I will post back with my experience after the items arrive. The dongle was about $25, the headphones about $30, both purchased through Amazon. (Sears sells the identical dongle for twice the price)

Dongle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B8GF7Y/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1
Headphones: http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Sound-ORACO-ERM28-GBA01-Headphones-Black/dp/B0040Z1EHY/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bluetooth for detectors?

I have tried several differant things in the past, but not Blue Tooth as it was at the time highly expensive.
But all my wireless efforts failed because I could never seem to keep a really clear signal in my headphones no mater what I did, or how close I had the transmitter/receiver together.
I tried even putting a receiver on my wrist and running the cord up my arm, then to my headphones
so it would only be inches from the transmitter plugged into my machine, but the signal still seemed to
drift even at that close range....
I don't know, maybe you will fare better with a blue tooth setup.
Richard

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Torrero....
What method were you using to Tx and Rx? If AM was used, I can understand why you had so much problem. If FM, as used in some of the remote "spy" microphones, I can see where those could be susceptible to different means of interference. Maybe you built your own and power and/or frequency stabilization could have been an issue, just a swag on my part.
I am not aware of anyone else trying the Bluetooth dongle and headphones, however, one of the major detector makers has a model with cordless headphones, which I am assuming is an internal Bluetooth setup. I'll be sure to update this when the items are received and I have opportunity to try it out. The only drawback I can see beforehand is the battery time on the dongle, it is only about 4 hours before needing a charge.....I may have to figure out a way to extend that, i.e. different power source.

We shall see.............

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was pondering some of this a few days ago...

I need to find a bluetooth RX to 1/4" or 3.5mm.

My VX3 has built in BT TX.... but I wanna use my Sun Rays wirelessly.

I've often wondered if you could use a cell phone bluetooth headset as your phones.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705

I have the AIRHEADZ cordless and they are great

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

barber said:
I have the AIRHEADZ cordless and they are great

It is good to know that the Airheadz are a good setup as they are essentially a Bluetooth Tx and Rx unit with some very quality headphones that come in your choice of over-the-head or behind-the-neck configuration. I looked at those and gave them some serious consideration until I saw the Kellyco price of $350. I just didn't feel like that was a $300 set of headphones (since the Bluetooth Tx and Rx units are only about $50 retail). Maybe they are of better construction and components, I can't say because I have never used either one. Being the miser that I am, however, I elected to try the "cheap" way out to begin with......6 complete sets of what I have ordered can be had for the price of one set of Airheadz.

Please don't take this wrong, I am sure the Airheadz are a great product and I sincerely appreciate you letting us know that the Bluetooth equipment worked well for you (as I am hoping it does for me), but, for $350 I'll put up with the inconvenience of the cord.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Roland,

Many that have tried bluetooth have complained of a lag in the target response delay. I can't confirm or deny that claim but trust that those that tried would have loved to continue using the bluetooth headsets since they are cheap, compact, and readily available. Good luck and keep us posted how your idea worked.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ism said:
Roland,

Many that have tried bluetooth have complained of a lag in the target response delay. I can't confirm or deny that claim but trust that those that tried would have loved to continue using the bluetooth headsets since they are cheap, compact, and readily available. Good luck and keep us posted how your idea worked.

Thank you, Ism. Your input is much appreciated, even though it may spell failure on what I am trying to do, ;D. I looked and looked without finding any info on those that have tried this and that is why I spent the money on the Tx and Rx'r. You are not the first to have mentioned a lag time with regard to Bluetooth.....that, I don't understand and will have to investigate further. Just from what little I know of electronics, I would think that any lag time would only be discernable with an "O" scope or some other sensitive measuring device....not with my very poor hearing, :(.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

barber said:
I don't have any lag time on my AIRHEADZ

Thank you, barber.......that, too, is very good to hear (no pun intended). I guess the Airheadz are Bluetooth, are they not? Maybe the absence of "lag time" is the reason they are so expensive and, if that is the case, I may have to reconsider putting the 3 1/2 bills out. :icon_thumleft: My Tx and Rx are due in the end of this week or beginning of next.......we shall see.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their input!

Edit 9:30 p.m.: The transmitter arrived today and has already been charged.......now, just waiting for the headphone receiver!! Maybe it will come in tomorrow with my new coil!!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The headphones came in today, so, the first thing I did was to get them charging! It didn't take long for the charge light to go out (they charge from a USB port or 120v AC/12v DC to USB converter) and the pairing to the Bluetooth dongle was painless....worked the first time. I plugged the dongle into my F75, turned everything on and it all works....quite well, I might add. There is NO discernable lag, the volume will go higher than you can stand, the tone is good and they are extremely light and comfortable (over-the-ears and behind the neck).......it would be easy to forget they were there.

I am very happy with my late night test run in the yard.....they are everything I had hoped for and more, :icon_thumleft:. I have another thread in the Fisher forum regarding the 15" DD coil that also arrived. The jury is still out, but, it does not seem to have as much depth as my 11" DD that came with the F75. This was determined with an "air" test indoors, so, lots of interference and not a good test......will know more later. If you are curious, check out the Fisher thread.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. Personally, I would rate this setup 5 stars at this point and if needed, will report anything negative after some field testing. I'm happy......YAY! :hello2:

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

After trial report:

Went for a 2.5 - 3 hr hunt today using the new Bluetooth setup. All I can say is "WOW!" This is everything and more than I had hoped for. I've taken a few pictures to give you a better idea of how this is arranged. The headphones are designed by a Swedish company and (of course) made in China....the brand is Arctic Sound, www.arctic.ac and the model number is P311. They come with a USB charger and a padded hard case with zipper closure.....the headphones have to be folded to go in the case, no biggie. Keep in mind, these can be used with everything from an iPod to the tv as long as the device has a 3.5mm headphone jack or adapter for the dongle.

Headphones folded inside case:
casenphones.jpg

Headphones unfolded outside of case:
casenphones2.jpg

Headphones, case and dongle: (the white tab at the bottom of the dongle is the pull tab for the 3M Command mounting strip)
phnshdcsentx.jpg

Dongle mounted to the bottom of the battery compartment on my Fisher F75...you can see the USB charging port:
transmitter2.jpg

Another view of the Tx dongle viewed from the bottom of the battery compartment:
transmitter.jpg

Freestanding F75 on the Fisher 15" DD coil:
standing.jpg

When I got home from the hunt, I turned on the Tx and Rx units in an attempt to run the batteries down for recharging (recommended for the first few chargings), they have been on since 6:15 pm (it is now 9:40 pm).....battery run time seems to be longer than factory estimates. I will be getting a 12v to USB charger for both devices or one and a "Y" splitter to charge in the field, if needed.

It is soooo nice to set my locator down without the hassle of a cord going to my headset. If anyone dislikes being tethered to the cord as bad as I did, take this arrangement into consideration.....you won't regret it. For $50 and some change, you can be free!

Best wishes and HH to all,

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a 12v to 5v USB car charger with dual ports on eBay for $3.27 with free shipping, not bad. I know I have already said it, but, I'll say it again......I'm really impressed. If I knew I was going to be hunting for extended periods, I would purchase another set to have on hand for when the batteries run down in the first set. Also, there is a portable USB charger that runs on a couple or three AA batteries (not much bigger than the batteries themselves) with dual ports that could be used in the field! I really, really like this set up......can you tell? ;D

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've been using the auvio 33-283 from radio shack for over a year now and am very happy. i get 16-20 hrs of battery life, they are very comfortable and lightweight and have no lag (delay)
i use these on all my machines.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dogpound said:
i've been using the auvio 33-283 from radio shack for over a year now and am very happy. i get 16-20 hrs of battery life, they are very comfortable and lightweight and have no lag (delay)
i use these on all my machines.

This is the sort of info I was looking for before I bought what I did. I was beginning to wonder why everyone isn't using this method? What Tx unit are you using? I finally found a picture of your headphones and a number of them for sale "as is" on eBay and some other 'used item' sites.....it seems this particular model is no longer being produced, is that correct? The prices ranged from $1.99 to over $100, I think that may be for "as is" to "new."
Glad you like yours, too. I wanted the over-the-ear and behind-the-neck headphones since these can be adjusted to stay in place no matter what you are doing and they are as comfortable as wearing air.

I have heard from others that have tried this that they experienced a lag, but, if mine has a lag, it is not discernable. If anyone dislikes having their head tethered to their locator and don't want to spend $350 on wireless headsets.......do what dogpound or I did, it is wonderful.....especially for about $50 for the whole set up......that's less than most wired headsets alone!!!

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
barber said:
An extra pair sounds like a good idea. But $15.00 shipping is rediculous.

Where were you looking and what were you looking at for $15 shipping? Must be some confusion here.....I didn't pay any shipping when I ordered both of them through Amazon. When I mentioned getting a "spare set", I meant the Tx and Rx, which came to $25.99 and $28.99 for a total of $54.98, with $0 taxes and $0 shipping. Had I shopped around a little more, these can be had a little cheaper (but, not much), which is why I said $50 and some change earlier. It boils down to whatever crumbles your cookie.....I put my time at no less than $20/hr, then the gas and the hassle involved with going somewhere to get said items, personally, $15 isn't sounding so bad. I have to admit $0 sounds a LOT better, :icon_thumleft:.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the idea of wireless.
Always get the wire messed up when I dig and stuff.
Bought an FM transmitter made for radios and FM wireless headphones but the freqs had a lot of other sigs coming in.
Thank you Roland for your trial.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread