rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice frame! What do you think the grooved bone would of been for? 2nd on top row

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice examples of the cut Deer Antler you will find all over Ft Ancient sites. They used it for many, many things. I have always liked the one you have that is grooved. That piece is so cool. What is nice about these pieces is they not only used the tips they sawed off for Antler Arrows, they also used the other end and would sharpen it down to a tip and drill out the end. I have a couple of examples of them in the process of being made.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice frame! What do you think the grooved bone would of been for? 2nd on top row

Very nice examples of the cut Deer Antler you will find all over Ft Ancient sites. They used it for many, many things. I have always liked the one you have that is grooved. That piece is so cool. What is nice about these pieces is they not only used the tips they sawed off for Antler Arrows, they also used the other end and would sharpen it down to a tip and drill out the end. I have a couple of examples of them in the process of being made.

yep that "grooved" piece is simply another one that was in the process of being cut...........but it never got finished
i find similar bird bones that were being made into beads and being cut from the 'core piece' and once in a while find one that was not finished being cut

musta been very hard and time consuming for a person to cut all those antler tips with just a stone blade

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice , like the celt and drilled tooth...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go along with Reaper those antler tips look to be points, some are way to pointed for regular antler tips and at the end of an antler toward the tip they are solid, so I would say they have been drilled. Great finds:notworthy:

OP
OP
catherine1

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this post and thought I would share the other deer antler and drill that I found inches away. I think they are Intrusive Mound because of the broken base. GR has them and he probably thinks they are natural. LOL>Thanks for viewing!!

Attachments

• jack 652.jpg
    jack 652.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 144
  • jack 422.jpg
    jack 422.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 91

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're just killing the Native artifacts. That is an amazing antler and bone collection.
You obviously REALLY know your stuff. I'm really impressed. You seem to have a real passion for what you're doing.

Hats off to ya'.

Reading your threads and looking at your pics makes me think about maybe slowing down on the metal detecting for a while and getting back into the rock hunting a bit. I have a hard time doing both because I need to focus all of my energy into my searches. I also like to dig around in streams looking for old stuff; like bottles or anything else I can find. It's just amazing what gets washed down rivers and streams.

I live real close to the upper Patapsco river. It's not much more than a big stream with scattered deep holes where I go but it's beautiful. It was pretty polluted when I was a kid but it's been cleaned up and the fish are back in a big way. It was my personal playground as a kid and I still love the place.

It's become far more well known than I would like these days but there's nothing I can do about that. There's way more trash being left behind by people who just don't seem to care about the river. They're ruining the very thing that attracted them in the first place. It's a real shame.

But anyway, good luck on your future hunts and HH.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread