Bone Dry Colonial Hunt (2 coppa slugs, civil war bullet)

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello All,

Vp here, the bone dry crew got out today to a new property that is bordering our famous colonial tavern site we've been hunting for about 3 months now. We also managed to drop off a nice display case to the tavern site owners who appreciated it very much

I found the two coppa slugs about 20 yards apart on what we believe is an old colonial road that ran thru the area, the first coppa sounded 'iffy and was almost 9 inches deep, the second was a clear 00 27 on my SE - I also found a couple of musketballs and a surprise 2 ringer civil war era bullet (i'm in the process of looking it up) - always a very cool find, only my second civil war era bullet

Now again - I love hearing the sound of coins on my SE in a colonial era site BUT i have to openly admit here on treasurenet that the excitement fades fast when you realize the terrible condition these coins are in. Man, i just wish i could find something from the 1700's with a DATE or DETAIL !!!!! i know, i know they are not worth anythign anyways so peroxide them or tumble them - we shall see what they turn out to be

i shouldn't be complaining though it was a VERY fun day with a great bunch of guys, each time i found the coins they all came running over and we did the high fives & bone dry dance - couldn't ask for a better group to hunt with - thanks again guys for bringing me into bone dry !

unfortunately, Kirk & Kyle didn't have much luck today but Paco found a very nice coin at an old 1800's homestead site close by (he can tell you about).

take care, and thanks for looking

vp
Bone Dry Detecting

Attachments

• colonialhunt.jpg
    colonialhunt.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 538
Upvote 0
Yo, Kevin, I am glad that we got out today for some good ole "Bone Dry Detecting." You kicked some serious buttocks with those two coppas today. I just hope the temperatures stay in the 40s!

Dude, tumbling of your coppas must be performed in the near metal detecting future.

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA

Nice find's V....The CW bullet is a William's Cleaner Type III missing the zinc washer.I found my one and only LC last year,a matron head.... do you think the tumbler will waste it away or not,it's pretty much unreadable already?Thank's

civilman1 said:
Nice find's V....The CW bullet is a William's Cleaner Type III missing the zinc washer.I found my one and only LC last year,a matron head.... do you think the tumbler will waste it away or not,it's pretty much unreadable already?Thank's

hey - thanks for the ID on the bullet civilman, much appreciated !!!
as far as the tumbler goes, use it if and ONLY if you think the coin is a slug of no value and then what can it hurt - we've tried it a couple times and it has produced some identifiable features on our coppas - these two are destined for the tumbler

take care (and thanks again !),

vp

ps: thanks kyle it was a great day & thanks carolina for the praise - but to be honest kyle's research is what does it

Hi VP Your comment about the condition of your coppers made me think about the reason. Starting with George 2nd English copper coins were debased several times over the years. By the time of Geo 3rd there was less than 1/2 the copper than the earlier coins. This base metal did not last long in the soil, hence all of the scabby coins. I have several bags of coppers from this time period and like you said, they are not worth much but sure were fun to dig.

"May there always be a road"

Les

Nice finds Kevin. They still count on the B. D. D. coppa total for 2008 even though they're unreadable right? Hopefully tumbling them a bit will help. Whats the coppa count up to?

Rob

Congrats on the Coppas VP. 8)
Show us some pics after the tumble.
Hope they show the date.

diggerfororo said:
Hi VP Your comment about the condition of your coppers made me think about the reason. Starting with George 2nd English copper coins were debased several times over the years. By the time of Geo 3rd there was less than 1/2 the copper than the earlier coins. This base metal did not last long in the soil, hence all of the scabby coins. I have several bags of coppers from this time period and like you said, they are not worth much but sure were fun to dig.

"May there always be a road"

Les

hey les,

thanks for the info, i didn't know that and yeah it makes sense .... i'm kinda new to the colonial type hunts, i love the sound of coins under my coil but am getting discouraged with these slugs :(

thanks again

vp
thanks

Evolution said:
Nice finds Kevin. They still count on the B. D. D. coppa total for 2008 even though they're unreadable right? Hopefully tumbling them a bit will help. Whats the coppa count up to?

Rob

hey rob,

how've ya been buddy ? BDD is at 3 coppa's so far this year (including these two) but it's early and kyle has some GREAT sites lined up here for spring, we just delivered a nice display case to the owner here and he said we could use him as a reference for the other farmers in the area - so only good things to come !

i keep saying i want "evolution detail" on my coppas, but slugs is all the detectin' gods are giving - so what do ya do ?

take care

kevin

Merf said:
Congrats on the Coppas VP. 8)
Show us some pics after the tumble.
Hope they show the date.

thanks merf - i'm sure the tumble will show something and then the coppa experts can tell me what i have

take care,
vp

Nice dig's VP,I know whatcha mean on the coppers.I've found that most coppers found in farm fields get ate up alot faster than ones found in say a wooded area.I've found coppers that were only a few feet apart but the ones found along the edge of the field will usualy be in much better shape.Probably due to all the chemicals added to the fields.

Nice digs Kevin. Silver sure comes out of the ground a lot prettier...but I'd love to find one of those coppas around here. Unfortunately my 1880's to 1920's parks just don't have them hidin' there for me to find ;D
Good digs buddy

kieser sousa said:
Nice dig's VP,I know whatcha mean on the coppers.I've found that most coppers found in farm fields get ate up alot faster than ones found in say a wooded area.I've found coppers that were only a few feet apart but the ones found along the edge of the field will usualy be in much better shape.Probably due to all the chemicals added to the fields.

ya know i never thought about it but looking at coppers that people post, most of the "woods" ones seem to be in better shape than the fields ones.

maybe BDD shoudl change it's strategy and start hunting in the woods a bit more ?

thanks kieser

vp

silverfreak said:
Nice digs Kevin. Silver sure comes out of the ground a lot prettier...but I'd love to find one of those coppas around here. Unfortunately my 1880's to 1920's parks just don't have them hidin' there for me to find ;D
Good digs buddy

hey bryce,

i tell ya, i still stare at that barber quarter i dug last week, these i threw in a pile with the other ones and haven't touched them since - now the civil war bullet i foudn with them is COOL - think i might want to head down south a little ways and look into hunting for CW relics

take care buddy,

kevin

vpone said:
kieser sousa said:

ya know i never thought about it but looking at coppers that people post, most of the "woods" ones seem to be in better shape than the fields ones.

maybe BDD shoudl change it's strategy and start hunting in the woods a bit more ?

thanks kieser

vp

No problamo ! Glad I could help.I once found three large cents under some pine trees and they were all in great shape.Probably the best I ever dug.I would have thought that the acidity of the pines would be bad on them but turns out just the opposite was true.Good luck and have a good one ! ;D

vpone said:
Evolution said:

Rob

hey rob,

how've ya been buddy ? BDD is at 3 coppa's so far this year (including these two) but it's early and kyle has some GREAT sites lined up here for spring, we just delivered a nice display case to the owner here and he said we could use him as a reference for the other farmers in the area - so only good things to come !

i keep saying i want "evolution detail" on my coppas, but slugs is all the detectin' gods are giving - so what do ya do ?

take care

kevin
As the B. D. D. boys would say, keep the passion high. I have a feeling you're high detail coppa will arrive sometime this season. With all those good sites/research there's no way it cant. Make me proud bro.

Rob

Evolution said:
vpone said:
Evolution said:

Rob

hey rob,

take care

kevin
As the B. D. D. boys would say, keep the passion high. I have a feeling you're high detail coppa will arrive sometime this season. With all those good sites/research there's no way it cant. Make me proud bro.

Rob

Yup, we will keep making you proud, Evo!

Kevin, I am proud of your Colonials! You deserved them both! I can't wait for this spring, dude! ;) :)

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back