Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
A long time ago I was walking along with my lucky hunting stick
I ran across a funny looking bone splinter with a lot of dirt stuck to it
as I took a few more steps and finished getting most of the dirt off along with a piece of it falling to the ground
I then realized what I had and turned around to find the missing piece
I looked and looked and could not find the missing tail of this cool piece(notice the fresh break)
I should not have kept walking when I picked this up.......I learned a lesson, I should not have kept walking until I knew what I had
anyway here is most of it, it is very brittle from laying in the sun

Attachments

• 100_4728.jpg
    100_4728.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 100_4731.jpg
    100_4731.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 100_4733.jpg
    100_4733.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Re: Bone point

Very Nice piece.

Yes sir, a guy can learn a lot from his mistakes. Too bad you couldn't find the rest of it, fresh broke bone is often very easy to repair.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

That's a helluva piece. I enjoy pieces like that more so than flint, a bit more rare to find!

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

Thirty7, I am sure it is a point as I have another complete one I can post
also I have seen one in a museum almost identical which was labeled a point
I appreciate your post as many things are possible
maybe we can do some more research on the net and get some more input on this
I will go try to find my other one
My collection is very, very unorganized so it might take me a while to find the other one
I wish my collection was organized (and as large) as Dorkfish's collection

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just don't know on this one,it is something i may consider to pierce my body with back then.. jamey

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
here is the other one

I also have about 4 round bone points, Should I post a picture of them too??

Attachments

• 100_4810.jpg
    100_4810.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_4811.jpg
    100_4811.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_4810.jpg
    100_4810.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_4811.jpg
    100_4811.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 188

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes mr larson please do,and thank you in advance. jamey.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
OK Jamey, here they are
what are yer thoughts??

Attachments

• 100_4817.jpg
    100_4817.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 163

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks Mr Larson.i bet they would go through a fish pretty good also,maybe the shaft had the barbs on them.or maybe they didn't need any as i never used one to take a fish.i also wonder if they did the sun dance round there,bone was used for ceremonial purposes.during the sundance they would hang you up by hooks then pierce ya in the chest two times i think and hang bison skulls from the piercing from what i read.white men made them stop doing it for awhile also and i think it was done by different groups of Indians.it is hard to comment on your finds because Ive never seen nothing like them,all that bone,is flint hard to find around there?i know you have some nice points made from it,but that might have been traded later on and all they had to use was bone.i havent found any old bones round here,how old could yours be i wonder?when that bone was new it could really go through your skin very good i bet.i wish others would give thier thoughts on it because id really like to know what was going on round ya,and i glad you enjoy it because all i can find are rocks so far.you have taught me some good survival skills if i happen to need them,I'm going to keep looking for info. thanks again. jamey

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
jamey, those are bone arrow heads not for fishing
my unorganized collection of 30 years is only about 10 % bone and 90% rock (flint and agate etc)
I did not know forums like this existed before about a month ago
when I found out how interested in bone the members of this forum were I decided to post some of my collection with bone artifacts first.
I think I should post some flint and agate,jasper, etc. artifacts so I don't paint the wrong picture, I think I may have led you to believe that I only had bone artifacts
The indians from the Dakotas were using flint, chert, jasper, agate, and agatized wood for thousands of years
Knife river flint was the first export commodity from the Dakotas which dates back thousands of years
If you think I am walking a site that only has mainly bone then I have posted too much bone and not enough rock, this is my fault, and I apologize for that.
I want to post some pictures of knives and arrowheads, drills and scrapers and stuff to show the forum members
About the sundance I have some Crow friends from Montana that have done the Sundance, and showed me the scars to prove it.
they showed me the difference between an awl and a skewer,(a skewer is for piercing skin in the sundance and an awl is used for perforating items like leather)(I have one friend that had done it two times)(he said they only pull you up just enough to put you on your tip toes and then will let you down if you wish) I think it is very interesting I am proud to be an honorary member of the Sioux, Crow, Cheyenne, and Cree(from Canada)nations and I am proud to have a wife and brothers from these nations
Jamey you asked if flint is hard to find, it is not hard to find at an old village site,not as hard as bone
as far as I have learned. I really appreciate these discussions and I am thankful to learn so much so quick. Sincerely, Larson 1951

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know i am glad you found this place too.i bet alot of professionals who study this are too.i would just like to have one full blooded native friend,I'm also glad to hear you have many and those are some very nice bone points. :icon_sunny: jamey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread