BOOM! What was that? Weirdest Fourth ever!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just had two of the weirdest Independence Day fireworks displays I have ever seen! Went to the local display that they have at the City park every 3rd of July. Got settled in and in great anticipation of lots of ooohing and aaawing. About 5 minutes into a scheduled 30 minute show, there was a huge explosion and the show was over! One of the mortars shot its bomb into the loaded mortars and they all went up at once in about 10 seconds! One guy was burned pretty bad but no patrons were hurt and the show was over in 5 minutes and ten seconds! Everyone was just sitting there mouth open and wondering ,"What the heck"?

Next night on the 4th of July, got front row seats at the Sinclair Refinery only a couple of hundred yards from the display (MY son it the ITT Supervisor for the refinery). Got all set and they started 25 minutes early because of an approaching thunderstorm. Thirteen minutes into the show and before most of the crowd even got set up, there was a tremendous explosion and , ditto! A mortar fell over and shot into the trailer with all the fuses. Kaboom once again and no more show because the fire department put out the fire and got all the remaining fuses wet! This year they took private donations and spent $100,000.00 for the "biggest fireworks show in the state"! Can you say fizzle? It was over in 13 minutes of a scheduled 40 minute show! So, we just once again shrugged and went home. Watched the end of the DC fireworks on TV and sacked out early. Craziest two celebrations I ever attended. Monty

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well monty... you still have 25lbs of ribs... the day was still saved!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that is some strange happenings. Luckily no spectators got hurt.

Nova Treasure

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Bummer!
Maybe they div-eeed up the money and sabotaged the show?
just kidding :)

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I live in Albuquerque and my friend wanted to drive to a neighboring town (Rio Rancho) to watch the fireworks. I objected because the traffic is nuts around here, especially anything like a 4th of July celebration. So, we took a bus to the Balloon Fiesta site in town. It was OK, but there were an Awful lot of RED fireworks, for some odd reason.
Today I get a newspaper: several people were hurt in Rio Rancho at their fireworks display--from a lightning strike! I KNEW I was right!

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
That had to be pretty cool when they all went up at once though. ;D

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Long ago, before our kids were born, the wife and I were taking the scenic route up the Pacific coast from Cal. to our home near Portland Or.
We got to Seaside on 3 July and only had 80 miles to go inland to home.
Just as a joke, I asked at a motel if they had a room for 2 nights.
They said yes and we got an ocean view, with fireplace in the most visited town on the Oregon coast.
Fairly cheap too!
Sitting on balcony we watched the Fire dept. dig a big pit in the sand and folks in heavy blast suits prepared the show on the 4th.
After only 5 big mortar rounds went up, the next went 10 feet up and back down.
Everyone in the pit jumped out and all the rest of the fireworks went off.
That was a sight. No one was hurt and lots of other folks had fireworks too so it was still good.

This year the fireworks in the fog at Lincoln City were good too.
I love seeing things blow up. LOL
Was going to detect the beach on the 5th but other things came up and missed the chance. Bummer.

Hope all were safe this year.

Grey

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
In Orcacoke, NC (Outer Banks) ... a big explosion on a truckload of fireworks on the dock ... 4 ppl died, another person in PA and then the bridge collasping ... :( (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31739101/ns/us_news-life/)

Had a very small bbq at home with the kiddies, played in the pool, watched a movie and chilled. I don't care to go out and watch fireworks anymore...the traffic is not worth all the hassle! And as every year, cops were called to the neighborhood, cause folks setting off fireworks at the park and there is always that one that calls it in and complains!

... but I had a nice quiet time at home with my family. Hope everyone else had a nice Fourth!
AM

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not crazy about going out either but since we had fron row seats I took a chance . Traffic was no problem as the refirnery had their security folks directing traffic and helping employees park. They must have turned away a thousand folks trying to get in who were not authorized. A little traffic on the way out because of the confusion with the short program but not that bad. Monty

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I never have the need to leave home for fireworks shows, in Texas, we can buy them at little roadside stands...it seems that all my neighbors do just that. I sit on the back porch and watch all of them go off and hope the ground is moist enough that we don't end up with grass fires, but have my waterhose ready just in case...

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago those big stainless steel water and soda fire extinguishers were replaced at a big company I worked for.
Sold for $8 each. I bought a couple. Unscrew the top, fill 3/4 with water and pressurise with a compressor.
Regular tire type valve. Would shoot 80 feet or so. Best squirt guns you could get.
Always had one or two around fireworks. And don't forget water balloon slingshots for summer fun.

(Disclaimer: None of the postings here are actually true and all are advised to seek professional advice).

Grey

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local firecodes forbid shooting fireworks in the city limits here. I use to go to the lake when I had my pontoon boat and it was great fun. But the kids grew up and I sold my boat, but now I have grandkids! Oh well, maybe it won't blow up prematurely next year? Monty

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 15 years ago we were at my now ex mother in law's on the 4th and my brother in law asked me if I wanted to go watch the fireworks show. Now, this is a very small town and the show usually lasts only about 10 minutes or so. He talked me into it when he said we could stand right across the creek from the place they were going to shoot them off. About 3 minutes into it a big one went off and got about 10 feet off the ground and exploded. Fire balls and rockets went into the crowd and people were screaming and running for their lives. it looked like a war zone for a few seconds but nobody got hurt. Dang, that was a miracle for sure. It is funny now when I think about it.

This 4th I was digging and putting cap blocks in the ground for a swimming pool until about 10:45 so I didn't get to see the fireworks. Oh well, maybe next year.

DANGLANGLEY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions