Bottle broken.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Hot Springs Arkansas about 10 years ago. I went into this little antique store and did some shopping around. I was really into old old whiskey bottles at the time. Anyway, I find this bottle on a shelf. hand blown, applied mouth, no seams.....very very light aqua color. had the little cone in the bottom of it, i guess, from the pontil(i think thats what it was called). the glass was very thin and had many air bubbles in it. the tag on bottom was faintly marked $20. to me that bottle was worth far more than $20.

i went and asked the gentleman at the counter what the bottle would cost me. he looked on bottom and couldn't quite make out the price. he saw the 2 and said I could just give him $2!!!! I loved that bottle for several years and was very proud of it.

On day I moved from my apartment and didn't realize that the bottle was on top in a box. I just set another box down on top of it's box,knowing the bottle was in there. I simply placed it and the pressure from the top box make it exploded. The top box only weighed a few pounds, but, after a little CS worked I discovered that something hard and pointed had been lying under my bottle. that is what actually did the damage.

Anyone else ever lose a loved one like that?

T

TreasureTales

Will Dig I feel for you. Once something like that is broken, a part of history goes with it. Sorry about your loss.

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
yes i have :'( :'( i was new to bottle hunting then & i had just found a keeper ! A rare High Point Cloverdale milk bottle from the 20's.It had been buried for a very long time in a cold side ditch by some RR tracks.It was in GREAT condition ! I took it home and started to clean it with hot water (BIG MISTAKE !) the hot water busted and put a HUGE crack in the bottle ,it fell apart >:( :'( .I learned my lesson right then ! Never put a glass bottle in very hot water thats been buried for so long.Now i wait for a couple of hour for it to reach room temp then wash it in slightly warm water !

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
One day I found a beer bottle that was bottled in the early 1900's. It was in a spring and still had beer in it. I imagine a logger put it there to chill it. Being in the water all those years, it never froze. I put it on display in my shop, never thinking about the cold winter weather. Well you guessed it, the beer froze and broke the bottle.

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah man, sorry to hear that about your bottle. what a waste of vintage beer. at least mine was empty. if it had been full i would have the newspaper it was wrapped in to get drunk!

isn't that an odd way to find a bottle though. in a spring. i cna imagine how cool that woulda been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread