Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been really stressed/worried for a good portion of this past year. But with the lords help I was able to sell my momā€™s house and car in FLā€¦ to a guy in MA from where I live in CA. Then I found/bought her a very nice Travel Trailer in Eugene OR and had it delivered and set up 3 doors down from me. The stairs and deck were being installed when I flew down, got her and brought her back. She is 87 and a tiny little person whom I love dearly. Anyway, mission accomplished. She is happy, comfortable and home for Christmas.

A few of you here got me motivated and a few others told me specifically I needed to get back out for at least one last time for 2013. I surely needed to get away and I made the plansā€¦along with a goal to at least double my take for the entire year. (trust me, what I've got is not that much, it would cover the bottom of a thimbleā€¦maybe)

I have a special spot that I have been prospecting when I can. The first time was when I found 10 small flakes in half a shovel full. It was in a small waterfall in a drainage of a ā€œno name creekā€ which fed into a larger one, which feeds into the Smith. I posted my results and many of you thought that site was worth pursuing. So I did...I worked my way upstream.

Time before last, I made it to another waterfall, much larger than the first. There were some large boulders at the bottom and the water was hitting them and dissipating. Since I did not have my hip waders with me (live & learn), I picked the best spot I could get to and once again found some good flakes in a small sample. But what really caught my eye was the sediment and leaves surrounding the rocks at the base of the falls. In all the mud and muck there was a distinct channel of water escaping beneath the boulders. It was a blond sand streak with black sand on both sides. Very promising looking. Especially when you can't get to it.

For the next visit, I started gathering ALL of the needed equipment and checking it off three times. I thought ā€œthe gloves are offā€ this time and Iā€™m gonna grab me the FULL size adult shovel, pry bars, work my new spot proper and come back with 5 gallons of Ā¼ classified material and gold! I briefly thought about bringing the come-along and some chains. One of those rocks at the bottom could easily be moved using the stuff I have. I decided against it as the outlet under it all is really what had my interest.

As I laid in bed thinking about all this, it suddenly struck me that in two days I would be going there toā€¦MINE! Wow! I had not done that yet this year, ever even! This would be my first mining experience! All year sampling and now mining! I did not get much sleep after that.

Finally, Monday comes! Karen is sleeping late so I run up to the post office to check the mail. Surprise! The one pound of pay dirt I ordered is waiting for me from elkie13.

Side bar: As some of you know, I recently completed my Highbanker LeTrap sluice. It works but still needs to be dialed in properly, maybe even new spray bars. I just COULD NOT even THINK about experimenting with my recovered gold of this year to test it in my sluice. So I ordered a bag of pay dirt that I know will have some gold and similar to the gold I find here. A ā€œcontrolled amountā€ I could work withā€¦with no emotional attachment. Not to mention I have been to Quartz Creek in AK, I trust her and it felt really good to support their cause.

Anywaysā€¦.I get the package home and stare at it and shake it for about ten minutes or so to see if I can see any gold inside. Nope. So I double check all my supplies again, gently wake Karen and get the truck pointed the right way. Itā€™s only 15 miles but it takes 35 minutes to get there. By the time we eat, leave and arrive the sun is already setting behind the mountains. I get my waders on, PVC gloves on up to my elbows and grab my classifier, bucket and shovel. The first thing I notice when I get there is someone had done exactly what I had thought about doing to one of the boulders...move it. I could see the marks not only on the rock, but also the tree which was used to pull it. But quess what? Anyone who likes to play in waterfalls knows something about cemented bedrock. The boulder may be out of the way but all the rocks underneath are cemented in. And in much harder material than cement. I havenā€™t tried a sledge hammer on that stuff yet, but everything I have tried has failed to crack it, much less get below it. I smiled to myself and went to work.

The full size shovel worked great, for about 10 minutes. The track down narrowed and dropped between the two remaining large rocks. I hiked back to the truck and got my hand trowel. When I started digging again, I plopped it into the classifier. It just sat there in a big sandy glob. I used the rocks to grind it through and then decided to save the rocks too. That is how much I believe in this spot.

One hour later, its 50 degrees, Iā€™m standing in freezing water, Iā€™m sweating, the spray has me soaked and the hole just keeps going down and down and down. I'm all the way up to my armpit using the trowel and have to empty water out of my right glove about every three shovels. Each time I come up, I have half a trowel full. It was slow going to say the least. I wished I had a suction gun, couldn't believe how long it took me to get 2 Ā½ gallons of very wet sand. Thenā€¦couldn't believe how much 2 Ā½ gallons of wet sand could weigh. I grabbed some moss off the boulders for good measure and got it all packed back to the pickup. As I put everything away, I look at the rocks that didn't make it through the classifier. On a dark piece of wood, a yellow flash says ā€˜LOOK AT ME!ā€ One of my best flakes this year goes in a fresh vial and I am glad I kept and lugged back the rocks. I look in the classifier and see thin tiny shreds of gold on the sides. I am very happy.

Today of course last minute things must be attended to. Nice dinner organized and planned for Christmas. Everyoneā€™s at peace, good will to all, comfortableā€¦.ā€™cept for me. As I get caught up with my chores, I start to wonder about whatā€™s in the back of my truck. I grab a flashlight, drag out the bucket of rocks, drop it all in my Garrett Super Sluice pan and start working it. I checked each and every rock and found nothing. What I did find was lots of flour gold and little yellow slivers all over the bottom of the pan! Using a flashlight on those at night was something else. All so small, but lots! Like watching minnows dart around in a creek. Sadly I have learned that this is exactly what happens to placer gold in waterfalls. Butā€¦.

I have some AK gold to find and finish dialing in my sluice,
I have 2 Ā½ gallons of the best pay dirt I have ever ā€œminedā€ in my life to go in the sluice and
I want it all done with results and photos posted no later than 12/31

To be continuedā€¦

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say that is the definition of a darn fine day, congrats on gettin out there before the end of the year. By the way when you were up to your elbow with the trowel, did you mentally tryout those slurp guns to figure out which is going to work better for you?

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say that is the definition of a darn fine day, congrats on gettin out there before the end of the year. By the way when you were up to your elbow with the trowel, did you mentally tryout those slurp guns to figure out which is going to work better for you?

Too true fowledup. I'm 6'2, so I'm thinking a three foot pump and a three foot extension should keep me more upright and a more manly position.:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great story, thanks for sharing all that detail. You are a fine storyteller!

PS looking forward to the pictures :)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that's "telling the story"...thanks Jeff!
respect-062.gif~original

Can't wait to hear how it all ends up...and pics, too?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got one thing to say here Jeff..... It's about time you got to that! Very glad to hear that it turned out to be as rich as you thought it would be!!! Now a good sucker gun to finish that crack off and you'll be good to go! Proud of you am I Grasshopper!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to go Jeff! Sounds like a ton of fun!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't wait for the results!! Congrats on getting out one last time for the year:)

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A man on a mission! Thank you so much for your inspiration. I've got some cleanup to do if I'm going to start the new year fresh. Thanks man!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a lot guys! My body said today will be a day of rest....but I'm gonna start on the sluice dial in this weekend and yes, with pics. I'm pretty optimistic about the 2.5 gallons of the pay dirt...based on what I found just by rinsing my rocks!:icon_sunny:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why is it always harder than it has to be?

So I get the sluice out and went about setting it up. Another thing I have learned is it takes about an hour from the thought to actually sluicing. Thereā€™s the battery charger, extension cord, hooking up the pump, unplugging the outside fridge, (shhhh!), leveling, observation in use, re-level, the overall water level, the jet dry (I used 8 drops which was 2xā€™s too much today-live and learn again).

Then the unexpected breakdowns like today:
The hinge on the hopper failed. Note to selfā€¦no matter how desperate you are for fasteners, never EVER use roofing nails.
Pump is NOT acting right at allā€¦down right possessedā€¦till I figure out the brand new toggle switch has failed due to water splashing on itā€¦I screw the wires together and carry on.
Oh, and btwā€¦itā€™s been dryā€¦yes but low to mid 30ā€™s? Call me soft but I just canā€™t jump out there when itā€™s 36. Iā€™m olderā€¦Iā€™m allowed. And thenā€¦when itā€™s finally in the low 40ā€™s, you have about two hours of in-direct sunlight before it all goes cold and dark again. (Living in the redwoods is not a place to be if you want to see sunshine in winter).
So, I run the sluice with BBā€™s first. Caught too low in the sluice. Raise the level to a 4 inch drop for 4 feet. All BBā€™s stick in first and second riffle. I run elkie13ā€™s one pound of pay dirtā€¦Sluice did great, but unfortunately, my one pound sample was dispersed in the sluiceā€¦with no tailings!

Itā€™s really getting dark now. I raise the back of sluice 1.5 inches to a 28ā€ to 23ā€ drop on the 4ā€™ sluice.
Success! Half of the 1 pound is in the LeTrap, the other is in the tub with black sand and no gold! I even have some marginal pictures to show the gold in the first two riffles.
But, I can see I need twice the pump (4K GPH) to ever hope to use this sluice properly. But it does work for now.
Tomorrow, the real pay dirt goes in!

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always amazed at the number of dwarves that I see mining, panning, sluicing! At 6'6". And 300 pounds, I see a lot of dwarves everywhere I go!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! OMFrigginGā€¦I LOVE it when a plan comes together. Today the temps went up to the low 60ā€™s. I ran the tailings from the catch bucket. ZERO visible gold. From the sluice? 100% gold recoveryā€¦the most gold was in the first riffle. This is from the one pound of pay dirt from elkie13.

Well...better luck next time...tomorrow maybe?

But....the sluice is dialed in 100% Happy Happy Joy Joy! With elkie13's pay dirt, I easily doubled my take for the year. And the best is yet to come...2 1/2 gallons of rich pay dirt for tomorrow. Photo's on hold and more to come. THANK YOU to ALL who helped me make it happen!:hello2:
I have the pics...will post as I can.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 172
Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool jeff, thanks for sharing your mission,i know what you mean when you talk of a (more upright) position, i am 6'1'' and 235ibs, with blown discs, the constant bending over ,and up and down, can have you hurt'n at the end of the day, hell all day in my case, sometimes i day dream of building my next project, a dredge with a recliner,and remote controll!:laughing7:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Jeff? What's the report on that 2 1/2 gallon batch? Inquiring minds want to know!

And I may not be a tall as some of you guys at 5' 10" but I know all about the back pain thing. Having your back broken in two places in the military is not conducive to a pain free life. I've had to live with this since 76 and I'm still truckin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread