Bought A Safe, And Got Silver, Too

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
So the lovely bride was out and about early this morning and comes home to tell me there is a small safe for sale down the street. Okay, I've been wanting something now that the stash is worth more than a buck-fifty or so any how.

Got a smallish (18" x 18" x 24" or so) Sears home safe with a dial lock that no knows the combo to, just something that has been "in the family" for 40 years or so, and now that they are moving they were disposing of it. Called the locksmith and the price to re-combo the lock was good, so took the safe. I paid part of the price in halves and that got the lady to thinking. She goes in the house and comes back with silver!

Cutting to the chase I gave her $5 for a 1943 quarter and a 1946 dime and figured I did good. She only wanted face value but I told her I didn't have anything smaller than a $5 any way. She in turn took my number and promised to call when she found the "lady quarter" she knew she had around somewhere as well.

At least the day wasn't a skunk because the bank said their ordering system had been down and they were short of even merchant change for the week as a result. Otherwise contented myself with CWR's of cents, nickels and dimes from 2 other locations.

Rascal

Upvote 0

Myrick

Sep 21, 2012
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice, been wanting a small safe for myself, mainly for the fireproofing. Sounds like a nice lady too. :)

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully the "lady" quarter she was talking about is a seated liberty! That would be a great find!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldar11 said:
Hopefully the "lady" quarter she was talking about is a seated liberty! That would be a great find!

Hopefully it's a 1796 Quarter. Don't offer her less than $10 this time if it is. :)

OP
OP
Rascal

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
What is in the safe. Good luck my friends.

Safe is empty and locked open, so changing the combo won't involve drilling, etc. As far as a fire rating it'd last 2 minutes in a 250 degree blaze. Yeah, no insulation, just a basic 'keep your hands off the merchandise' kind of safe. A couple steps above hiding them under the mattress. I'm thinking of tossing in some of those old gold bars I have laying around just to make it heavy enough that a couple young bucks can't simply grab it and carry it off. :laughing7:

The sad part is the lady had some jewelry consisting of a couple of Bens and a Walker that had been carefully carved out in silhouette, leaving just the bust in a ring hanging on a chain. Sad ending to such beautiful pieces, and they were. You just knew they were collectable pieces worth well more than melt before they were butchered.

Rascal

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got a hell of a deal on the quarter and dime.
Sounds like she has got some pretty cool stuff laying around her house.
Makes me wanna go check out some of the garage sales going on around here. :-D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread