Busted at work - OOPS!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
well talk about a bad week in general,

I get stressed out I fall back on old vices, which for me is coin hunting and book buying. I bought 4 books off of amazon and started to break open coin rolls in my till to look for silver and nickels. One day I got to work to find a note taped onto our daily schedule about to "Do not break open rolls unless absolutely necessary" then my managers told us all to not do the same thing. They talked to everyone but I know for a fact it was a warning to me. I asked my boss if we turn away customers if they bring in a lot of coins also and she said no, but to just not open the rolls unless necessary. EESh give me a break.

then I found out that I might have to have surgery done due to fibroids. Even with insurance I can't afford it. I can't even afford a 1000 MRI they wanted to do on my head, due to faintness and vertigo. Thankfully that was just because of the summertime screwy weather.

On a good note, I found a 1944 and 1955 silver canadian dime and quarter both in the coinstar. I was joking about putting up a craigslist posting about wanting to buy canadian quarters and dimes, LOL. I can hear the groans and see the rolling eyes already. Also I took everyone's advice about the ASEs. So I went to my LCS and asked about ASE and was told they were selling for 37 dollars. I told him silver was at 32 and if he would take 35 for one. he said no because he buys them at 35 and adds on 2 additional dollars. 2012 ASE he told me were 37.50. Eeehh, after what I was told by everyone else, I forgot about those and just bought some buillion. I got one ounce, a US quarter, a quarter tube and a dime tube for 42 dollars. Unfortunately they are the only coin shop that I know of unless I want to go check out a pawn shop or three in town, about 20 miles away. Maybe I will take a weekend off and ask my brother to go pawn shop hopping with me. Maybe next week will be better.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't like your job? Get a new one! Free country!

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I like my job very much. And I have been trying to get a second job for 8 years. But thanks for the suggestion.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Its nothing new. I'll stop for a couple of weeks and actually watch out for what I am doing. I opened the rolls when I still had like half a roll in the coin holders. I was just so frustrated and needed something to calm me down. Opening and running my fingers through coins does it for me. next time I will just stick my hand in my pocket and jingle the morgan and ASE I have in my pocket. a CRHrs version of worry stones =D

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What I do while it's slow going at my job, I look through all of the loose stuff first, then if I have to buy something at the store later in the day, like on break and/or lunch, (I buy lunch there a lot), then I break a $10 or $20, then get part of the change back in coins, or get like a certain amount in coins ($2 in nickels, $5 or $10 in quarters, etc.) Then you have a reason to crack open more rolls. :laughing7:

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have 4 cash registers in my pharmacy. I crack open the rolls whenever I have them. The managers don't mind. They even tell me they will keep an eye out for silver for me. Everyone in the store knows I pay 15-20 times face value for it, but they don't ever try to get more than face value.
If the district manager ever saw me going through the drawers he probably wouldn't be very happy.
I would probably tell him I wouldn't need to look for silver if I got a decent wage. >.<

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you found a job as a bank or CU teller, you could possibly cherry pick coin to your heart's content. I know that many tellers do that, and have amassed piles o the good stuff!

Southpaw

Aug 26, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I just buy leftover rolls at the end of the night with whatever cash I have on hand. In between customers, I check for war nickels and wheats. If I ever suspect something is silver, I just put it aside to look at later.

I have yet to find silver, but I have found plenty of pre 60 nickels and wheats. I also found a 1969 Repvbblica Italiana L50 that was mistaken as a quarter.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find silver, but I have found plenty of pre 60 nickels and wheats. I also found a 1969 Repvbblica Italiana L50 that was mistaken as a quarter.

Keep looking, you'll find silver. I always edge check all of my dimes and quarters. I've hit a lucky streak 2 weeks before I went on leave. I got 4 silver dimes (one a day), a war nick, and a silver quarter, plus 2 wheat pennies.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GarouLady said:
well talk about a bad week in general,

I get stressed out I fall back on old vices, which for me is coin hunting and book buying. I bought 4 books off of amazon and started to break open coin rolls in my till to look for silver and nickels. One day I got to work to find a note taped onto our daily schedule about to "Do not break open rolls unless absolutely necessary" then my managers told us all to not do the same thing. They talked to everyone but I know for a fact it was a warning to me. I asked my boss if we turn away customers if they bring in a lot of coins also and she said no, but to just not open the rolls unless necessary. EESh give me a break.

Don't wanna sound like a jerk but what did you think was gonna happen? They arnt your rolls to go through and now every other employee that doesn't CRH has to deal with a big pile of coin instead of rolls..... Pretty in considerate IMO.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy said:
Don't wanna sound like a jerk but what did you think was gonna happen? They arnt your rolls to go through and now every other employee that doesn't CRH has to deal with a big pile of coin instead of rolls..... Pretty in considerate IMO.

Just bring some wrappers in your pocket. Re-roll, everyone is happy.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an understanding at my work - They ignore my on-the-job CRHing (mostly the loose change, but sometimes rolls, if I have a suspicion), and I keep being my awesome, bad-ass self, lol ::) They ignore it, as long as I'm doing my job. I've only found 2 silver dimes and a bunch of wheaties in over a year and a half of working there, but that's not bad considering there's an admitted CRHing teller at the bank my store gets their change from... >:(

Actually, I lied - I have one penny I found that I need ID'ed by you fine gentlemen. It's a strange one - I gotta get a pic and post it...

Last edited:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would anyone want to risk their FULLTIME job over some Silver Coins...Doesn't sound very bright. IMO

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abe-simpson.gif

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone at work knows I coin collect. I think this time was because I had opened a roll of quarters and it filled the holder. Now I just go through the loose for now. I did find a foreign coin in our spare change holders. Not sure what it is but I will check it out next day off. Right now I have everyone on the lookout for canadian quarters and dimes. LOL.

Hugs and Smiles,
garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions