Bought a teknetics delta 4000. Never had a metal detector before. Help?

arodi

Aug 2, 2012
It's coming in the mail right now.... I've read the online manual and some threads. But before I use it, I would like to know some stuff: what are the decimals for everything? I know that gold and silver are usually in the lower numbers. Cannonballs are in the 90's but I don't know the rest. Also, can you explain to me the sensitivity stuff? The beginner sensitivity will not pickup iron. Don't I want to pick up iron. What would most of the iron things that you pick up be? Is it waterproof( dumb question, but couldn't find an answer). Sorry for the long questions, I'm just excited. Thank you so much. If there is something else I should know or recommendations please tell me. This is my first metal detector so if you have advice about beginning the hobby (where to look etc.) all answers would be appreciated. Thanks again!

racer117

Nov 7, 2009
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
At Pro ,Garrett Ace 250 ,150,Whites 6000DI.Tesoro DeLeon,Minelab XS and Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got a good deal on a Teknetics Alpha.Its their bottom line detector,but I figured why not ,it will make a good spare for my Garrett.Anyway,as far as iron goes,the Alpha does a great job masking out iron.Im not really a relic hunter,but I have tried detecting with the iron setting on,and found junk.Pieces of slag,pipe,angle iron,nuts,bolts,ect.Im guessing this was in fill dirt from somewhere else.Never used the 4000,but it sounds like a good detector.All detectors will find goodies,its all just a matter of learning your detector,and its quirks.Get your detector out in the field and dig all signals.You are going to be digging a lot.Learn the sounds of your detector,and the sound of the goodies you uncover.You will learn what is good and what is not,and pay attention to the vdi,youll learn what you want to dig,and what you want to bypass.Its a big learning curve,but we have all went through it.Good luck,and welcome to the md addiction.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently got a good deal on a Teknetics Alpha.Its their bottom line detector,but I figured why not ,it will make a good spare for my Garrett.Anyway,as far as iron goes,the Alpha does a great job masking out iron.Im not really a relic hunter,but I have tried detecting with the iron setting on,and found junk.Pieces of slag,pipe,angle iron,nuts,bolts,ect.Im guessing this was in fill dirt from somewhere else.Never used the 4000,but it sounds like a good detector.All detectors will find goodies,its all just a matter of learning your detector,and its quirks.Get your detector out in the field and dig all signals.You are going to be digging a lot.Learn the sounds of your detector,and the sound of the goodies you uncover.You will learn what is good and what is not,and pay attention to the vdi,youll learn what you want to dig,and what you want to bypass.Its a big learning curve,but we have all went through it.Good luck,and welcome to the md addiction.

Good post here! I would try to run sensitivity as stable as you can and try to hunt cleaner areas to learn it. Digging every repeatable signal will help you learn faster than anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions