BOUGHT AN XLT HOPE I DIDNT GET IN OVER MY HEAD

H

Hank68

I bought one in 1995 when they first came out, it's a good machinejust try using you preset programs, coins mode first and scroll to audio and add vco pinpiont that's helps, your not over your head just practice with it. good luck

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend back home who uses that machine....he normally makes me look bad :D - I use the Cortes. Once you get over the learning curve, I think you'll be making finds that you never thought possible. It's a great machine in my book.

Keep us posted.

HH/NS

S

sendin

I don't know the other detectors, but I have an XLT and only been doing this for about 3 months. I think you will like the XLT. I think the suggestions above are good ones. I also read the engineering report and that was very helpful.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XLT shouldn't be to much detector for you. The more you use it the better you will get. Before you go and change all the preset programs, learn the basics of the presets first, then experiment.

Be sure to post pictures of your finds.
Sandman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have only heard good things about the xlt. i think you made a fine choice.

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
I use a XLT. You are not in over your head. Once you read the book and use it a bit. You should see it is user friendly. Because of the preset programs it is great right out of the box. I let my 15 year old son use it in the back yard with little instruction and he was finding stuff like a champ. I had seeded my back yard months before he used it. The first time his interest was not what I had hoped. But the third and forth time he came and got it I got the response I was hoping for. Any how I had put a lot of quarters in the back yard, some of them pretty deep and on there edge. He was finding them with no problem. I haven't told him that I put them out there, as he was also bringing in objects that I had not put back there.
When you have used it for a while and start to play with the programs there are sites on the net that have programs people have made up to try. It is a great machine, I think you will enjoy the time spent with it for years to come. Good luck.
Mike

galaxy51

Sep 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE and XS, White's MXT and Classic ID
Mike, What a great idea! I need to get out in my back yard and get started planting coins. I have 2 grandsons that are old enough to detect that will be moving here after school gets out in May. I don't think pennys would be enough to motivate them but quarters and maybe a few old hotwheels that I have found would make good bait.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its one of the easier machines to use. I always use the Relic programme and then modify it to suit the site.
Many adjustments you will never use or use rarely.
You can set the audio to suit your hearing then never touch it again. VCO pinpointing you either like or not so its a choice you don't have to worry about.
Screen settings are another one off. Absolute value you ignore unless you buy the Bigfoot coil.
The inbuilt programmes, as with the DFX, are not good as they set them to work everywhere which in turn means they don't work best anywhere.
A beginner can just switch on and go then add adjustments as he goes one at a time and see the true effect. Just sensitivity tweaks gives a good machine, dig a little deeper into the adjustments and you have an excellent one.
An established in ground test bed does help despite what one self proclaimed professional says " I do not own or use a test bed ....these conditions are totally false....the true test of a detector is in proper detecting conditions" Norfolk Wolf (Treasure Hunting November 2006). Now relate that to the accepted truth that maximum sensitivity does not always give the best depth (similar to headlights in fog... dip the lights, see more). If you don't know whats in the soil how do you know what effect your adjustments are having ?

galaxy51

Sep 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE and XS, White's MXT and Classic ID
My XLT purchased on E-bay is scheduled to be delivered today! It got sent, by a UPS mistake, to Buffalo NY and was listed as out for delivery. They found it at 2:40 this morning in Buffalo and now, just several hours later it listed as out for delivery at my home town here in Idaho! Wow, they must have some superhero connections. What's that streak in the sky? :o Why it must be my XLT! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread