Bought First Detector in AM, Found Something in PM!

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
I joined this site earlier this week and asked what was a good detector for around $200 and several people recommended the Garrett Ace 250. I found a dealer about 45 minutes away called Mike's Metal Detectors in Georgetown, Indiana, and gave him a call. He said he had one in stock so I took a spin over there this morning in my 57 Chevy station wagon and bought it, along with some headphones. When I got home I spent a few minutes reading the owner's manual and then went out in my back yard and, after a few minutes, found an old hatchet head. Does anyone have any idea how old it is? It has a notch in it for pulling nails if that's a hint. The house behind ours was built around an old log cabin from the 1860s (a room of the house is the actual cabin), and I found this about 100 feet from there, so this neighborhood has some history behind it. I'm excited that I found something and am going back out now to see what else I can find. Thanks in advance for any opinions you can give me about the age of this hatchet head..........Dave

Attachments

• metal1 009.jpg
    metal1 009.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 576
  • metal1 011.jpg
    metal1 011.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 596
  • metal1 017.jpg
    metal1 017.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 603
  • metal1 017.jpg
    metal1 017.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 588
  • metal1 011.jpg
    metal1 011.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 595
  • metal1 009.jpg
    metal1 009.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and welcome to the forum. Also congratulations
on buying one of the hotest detector's on the market. If you look
at my past posts from this year on here, you will see many items
I have found using my ACE 250.

Some of my finds include a 6 pound cannonball, 2 flying eagle penny's, a
1852 3 cent piece, watch fobs, many tokens and lots and lots of other
items. I also find my share of junk. That just comes with metal
detecting.

I usually hunt in jewelry mode. I also use about 4 notches on
sensitivity. You can use more, but if it starts chattering back
down your sensitivity.

Good Luck with your hunting and keep us posted.
By the way, I'm from Ohio, so not that far away.

HH< Ringfinder

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of detecting, Dave. It sounds like you've got a great site to hunt and a good detector.

I can't tell you anything about your axe head....maybe someone else can. Good Luck! :)

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
I went out after dinner and found a few more things including a 4" tall bottle of "Edison Battery Oil" from "Thomas A. Edison Incorporated, Bloomfield, N.J. USA." How cool is that? Does anyone know how old it is? Also, does anyone know what the round thing is? Thanks again for your help....

Attachments

• edisonbottle 027.jpg
    edisonbottle 027.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 456
  • edisonbottle 022.jpg
    edisonbottle 022.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 487
  • edisonbottle 006.jpg
    edisonbottle 006.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 495
  • edisonbottle 004.jpg
    edisonbottle 004.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 507
  • edisonbottle 001.jpg
    edisonbottle 001.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 503

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Hello and welcome to the forum. Cool finds looks like you did a lot of digging today. Was glad to hear that you got that Ace from Indiana and then took it back to KY. Thats one less of those things that we have to compete with. Just keep swinging that thing{south of the river}and Im sure you will have a lot of greats finds. I wouldnt bother bringing it back up to Indiana Im pretty sure this whole state is hunted out.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Congratulations on your finds. As a fellow Kentuckian let me say that I hope you have a great many finds with that new detector.

Rev

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The EDISON BATTERY OIL bottles are cylindrical-shaped bottles made of clear glass that have the signature of "Thomas A. Edison" in cursive. They were used by railroads in battery operated crossing guards; after refilling the containers in the batteries, the workers would frequently just toss the bottles which is why most are found near railroad crossings.

In 1911 Edison changed the name from "Edison Manufacturing Company" to "Thomas A. Edison Inc."

Bottles newer than 1915 say Bloomfield NJ instead of Orange NJ. There was a fire in Orange and the operation moved to Bloomfield in 1915.

The above info will help you date an example you may have of one of these bottles.
The BLOOMFIELD NJ bottles are pretty common and usually sell in the $1-5 range.

The round thing? Well, there's a high/low beam switch mechanism from an older car (last picture). There is an iron ring affair that looks like it was probably welded to a wagon and somehow broke off, and there's an piece of rebar with a handle on it that someone indicated is a survey stake from someone's corner.... but I'm not sure which round thing you were referencing.

Welcome to the site. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Dave in Kentucky

Dave in Kentucky

Oct 12, 2006
Crestwood, Kentucky
Thanks for the info on the bottle, Bill. The "survey stake" was in the middle of my back yard. The small round thing is the positive terminal from an old car battery. (You can see the "POS" in the picture.) I was wondering what the larger circular metal thing is with the hook on the end.

I think I did pretty good for my first day and will be out there tomorrow to see what else I can find....

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a an Edison battery oil bottle. It also says Bloomfield, NJ. I wish I could remember where I found it. Seems to me it may have been in a dump near railroad tracks though. The same dump gave up a sterling baby spoon. That was pre MD days. I used to look for things to explore as a kid in high school. Normally my explorations kept me out of trouble. The location where I found the dump is very near an old train sation that was inhabited the last time I visited my parent's house. Only problem with bringing my detector to the site would be all the vegetation surrounding the station and the close proximity to the tracks would seem to lend to tons of trash.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and welcome to the forum! You might consider buying a coil cover, I was just detecting with a friend who has an Ace250 and he now has a second crack in the coil plastic, still working properly but he can't get it wet. HH, Mike

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new machine and finds. That item with the big ring reminds me of a turners dog / lathe dog.... It would be placed over round bar that was between two centres, and the bent part would be turned by the chuck of the lathe...... As I said that is what it looks like.

God bless
Peter

Attachments

• web_dogs.jpg
    web_dogs.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 274

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions