Bounty Hunter Discovery Jr.

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I was the Radio Shack outlet store and saw one for 5.99 I just couldn't pass it up at that price. The manuel says up to 5 inches but on an air test it looked like at best about 3 inches for a dime and 4 inches for a quarter. The only items I could pick up at 5 inches was a BIG iron targets. It only really detects at about 2 inches around the center of the coil, so it pretty easy to pinpoint with but would take a LONG time to search because you have to overlap the swings so much. It does have an "eliminator" knob that works pretty good. The meter on it is good for checking the batteries but just pegs out on every target. I took it to my front yard set it to ignore iron by using an iron nail and turning the knob till It wouldn't beep. With the little speaker on the bottom you have to listen real hard to hear the faint targets. I used it for about 15 mins and I found 2 pull tabs and 3 zinc pennies. Most items were just like on the surface or within 1 inch. The deepest item I found was a 1985 zinc penny at a measured depth of 3.5 inches. I could almost not hear it on the speaker. I am thinking of installing a headphone jack.

OP
OP
S

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I took it apart and installed a headphone jack and found an ajustment knob inside. I "think" it might be some kind of calibration knob for the coil. If you add headphones use a pair that has its own volume knob. I played with that knob turning it all the way one direction then all the way a different direction and testing the results. I set it to the spot where I got the most depth without crazy false readings. I took Jr. to my front yard again and found a 1953 silver dime at almost a full 4 inches. I dug the plug 3 inches and slowly inserted the pinpointer I didn't get any beeps till it was at the bottom of the hole, I was suprised and figued I had found an other pipe or something big. I dug a bit more and at 4 inches I saw the dime. I also dug up a LOT of screws, nails and trash even with the "eliminitor" knob set. I would also say only use when you can get VERY close to ground I was near bushes where there was NO grass.

OP
OP
S

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
I don't know if anyone even cares but I installed an 8 inch coil and on an air test the JR. will pickup dimes at 5.25 inches and quarters at 7.25 inches. I like hearing the soft beep for deep targets and loud beeps for surface targets, it is easy to x target since you can keep your eye on the ground and not have to look at a depth display. The JR. just has a handle with no arm cuff so my hand gets tired after about 20 mins I am going to make an arm cuff for it and keep it for a backup to my 3300.

P

PostFatal

i gotta say that for 5.99 it sure sounds like you got your moneys worth. I also have a 3300 and everytime I try to use it the grandkids start hounding me to let them try (there's 5 of them) I think I'll head out to RS and pick up JR's for each of them and do the mods like you did. at that price I can't lose.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Welome to the TNet Forum, Stainless Steel Rat! 8) I don't know if you are on the board much these days, I haven't seen any other posts, other than this one so far? :) Let me know if you're still active in here, o.k.? ;)

SSR - - -R - U - In Here? ::)

Lb

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Well alrighty then, I guess Stainless ain't comin' back. Took his Jr and is off to seek his fortune. I was gonna tell him that if he could get that little unit to sniff coins deeper than 3 or 4 inches, he'd be all set and would get his invested money back in no time flat. A large percentage of the coins I've uncovered over the years have come from that magic depth of 3 to 4 inches.

later, :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread