jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats your sensitivity at on your RS 3300, I do a 1-2 sensitivity........is this to little??? I never find the old coins, or are the old coins in Guilford county to deep......or sink quickly???Ground balance on the th RS 3300 is automatic.......via....Super-Scan, but I think manual ground balancing can be done in pin point???? Tell me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I have found a few old coins here in guilford.I leave my sensitivity at 3 to 4

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mwsvector said:
Whats your sensitivity at on your RS 3300, I do a 1-2 sensitivity........is this to little??? I never find the old coins, or are the old coins in Guilford county to deep......or sink quickly???Ground balance on the th RS 3300 is automatic.......via....Super-Scan, but I think manual ground balancing can be done in pin point???? Tell me if I'm wrong.
No your right.You start out in "all metal" then when you have it raised to about waist high you hit the pinpoint button and lower it .Also-Sensitivity-Are you talking about the number of lcd bars lit up in the display or are you talking about the actual numbers printed on the unit? I always leave mine at it's highest level (6 bars or 0)unless i'm near powerlines or indoors messing around with air tests or I get ghost beeps from the get go.The higher the sensitivity the more depth.The more lcd bars lit up on the machine the higher the sensitivity.So sensitivity set at 3-4 would be lower than at 1-2.With 10 being the lowest setting and 0 being the highest, unless were talking about the number of lcd bars .Confused yet? :)

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
fleamistress said:
Reddielocks25 said:
Can someone please make a video on how to ground balance a Discovery 3300 ? I see that Tesoro has one why not one for our MD's ?? lol I need some help understanding it and i need a visual aide.

I just dragged our "repaired" one back in. I was following the book and glazed over. Kid needs a sleepover. Or I do.

ANyway, when I read it it an unexhausted state it was easy to follow.

I guess i had it on the wrong setting, i will try it again next time i go out.Overwise the machine is a excellent one !

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mwsvector said:
Also-Sensitivity-Are you talking about the number of lcd bars lit up in the display or are you talking about the actual numbers printed on the unit?

2 bars lit up.......for general hunting......never tried for deep targets really......I need a good spot for that.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Vector, turn up your sensitivity if you are out in the grass in a park or yard. If you are in the playground in sand close to the equipment Id turn it down to your present settings. I crank mine up all the way then back it off one notch, run it that way unless the machine seems unstable, false signals.

C

cwe

??? Somone was talking about light weight
ear phones for the BH3300....sounds good to me.
When I go out mding the beeping starts ....
dogs bark and then people come out
ans start asking questions .

I feel like today everyone is looking for a terrorist and the
beeping noises think about it beep beep beep......mmmmm.

So the beeping has to go.

cwe ( Patti)

cwe Patti

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
CWE, that is a very good point for wearing headphones, I believe your pinpointing will improve with them & your batteries will last much longer as well.

I use my MP3 player earbuds.....MP3 players have pretty good quality earphones........

C

cwe

What type of earphones does other members wear...? Like to
get the light weight ones but would like suggestions?????
cwe

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cwe said:
What type of earphones does other members wear...? Like to
get the light weight ones but would like suggestions?????
cwe
Start a new topic on the metal detecting board,i'm sure you'll get many replies.Myself,I need a new pair of headphones myself.I'm using BH headphones that look like something from a 1970's quadrophonic stereo system. :) I need some smaller,lightweight ones.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my second set of light weight, behind the head, stereo headphones with an inline volume control from Radio shack. It ran $15.99 and I have been using my old set for over a year. Just wanted another one so I wouldn't have to keep switching it when I use a different detector. I like them . Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent two hours hunting without ground balancing. Couldn't figure it out! All I found was junk too.
I got home and tried it again. Discovered I was leaving a step out, slapped my forehead with the palm of my hand and shouted D'OH!! Monty

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So some one give a step by step of ground balancing.........Am I missing something? Do you need to balance in discrimination mode??? Or just All-Metal.

C

cwe

For some reason I can not bring up
the ground bal. video.

Anyone having this trouble?

cwe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there is a ground balance video! I just followed the instructions in the manual. I don't have any deep darket secret way to do it. I'm on vacation and not at home and don't have the detector or manual available to me. Monty

Ok, so I erred! I am still having problems ground balancing this li'l turkey! But here is what I have discovered........ The manual says to hold the detedctor about waist high , have it in the all metal mode, depress the pinpoint button and lower it back to within about an inch of the ground, and the tone should disappear if it is properly ground balanced. Bah Humbug! I have found that with my detector the coil has to be 3 to 4" from the ground before it will become quiet....if it does. So, here's how I do it: I follow the manual up to the point where I lower the coil 3 to 4" from the ground. If it is still emitting a tone, I twist the balance knob until it does become quiet! Then I hold it at waist high in the all metal mode and press the pin point button and then lower it as described in the manual. I find tht it will go silent 3 to 4" from the ground just as it should! May not be by the book but it seems to work! Monty

C

cwe

I think it would be nice if someone
would walk us thru this since there
are still questions ................what could it hurt?????????? c

cwe

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Here's how I do it (as described in the manual):

1. Find an area with no metal.

2. With the GB on "Preset" (turned counter-clockwise all the way), raise the coil waist high and press "Pinpoint."

3. Lower the coil to 1/2" above the ground. If it doesn't make a sound, you're done. If it buzzes, turn the GB knob a little clockwise.

4. Raise the coil waist high, press "Pinpoint", lower. If it still buzzes, go back to #3.

5. If it doesn't make a sound, turn back counter-clock wise a tiny bit and try again. The object is to have the GB knob as turned counter-clockwise as far as you can go without it making a sound when no metal is present.

I've found that the GB knob is very sensitive. Just tapping it can make it go bannanas! Always press the "Pinpoint" button after adjusting the GB knob.

There may be a better way, but this works for me. Good luck hunting.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't pushing the pinpoint button when I lowered the coil and it has to be precisely 2" above the ground to get the darn thing to stop humming when the GB is set. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread