Bounty Hunter Junior Review (video)

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the review of the Bounty Hunter Junior. I love it for $45....great for the kids....or even for really tight spots like a crawl space or cellar hole.

Basically the Bounty Hunter Gold digger with a 1/2 inch smaller coil and about 1-2 inches less depth. Still the crazy fast recovery speed and excellent unmasking.

Anything that passes a nail board test for $45 is a winner in my book...even if the depth is not amazing.

Enjoy.

If embedded video does not work...click here ----> https://youtu.be/uYzbXFrrELg

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job, John. Impressive little tyke for the $$.

Did it pick up your buried 4" coins?

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir! I will go check tomorrow...they are still out there. I'll check the Gold Digger as well. The older analog types with the small coils sure unmask well....so it will not surprise me if the GD chops through the iron soil. Skeptical of the Jr. however.

The dime is at 4 still, but the quarter I moved to 8 for some LRP testing. I can raise it for some more tests easy enough since I enjoy that sort of stuff. :occasion14:

In other news....Got the LRP to high tone the 8 inch quarter by adjusting 10-15 lower than the GB ID showed from coil pump..then switching to mode 4 from there. VID was not great obviously. So still a few tricks up my sleeve to get the depths tone wise. Made it slightly chattery to the soil however...so gain something lose something.

In decent non-Colorado soil...tweaked to the max...I feel it could stretch high tones to 9-10 inches....but unfortunately you saw my Colorado soil and how dreadful it is.

I'm hopeful the Jr. or Gold Digger hits the 4 inch dime...I'll update tomorrow.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get the 8" quarter to sound with iffy ID, have you tried holding down the mode button and placing it into temporary AM mode with ID to see if the ID improves?

PP and AM are the same thing, except for one displays depth and the other ID, respectively. 7-8" is where most detectors start to lose stable ID as the E-magnetic field starts seeing more mineralization increases that affect the field (GB doesn't get rid of all minerals, just the most prevalent) .

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing on the dime or quarter at 4 inches in my awesome soil...both the Jr and Gold Digger failed at 4 inches.

So I called a pal in Oregon who has the BHGD....he kindly buried a 4 inch silver dime and quarter and hit both no problems.

That really opens my eyes to how poor my soil is. Not that I was blind to that fact before...but I see much clearer now. It literally cuts my air tests in half at stock settings. Only by fiddling with GB can I manipulate the depth.

Will be interesting to test new detectors as they come and go....new coils as well.

So I guess my soil is a curse and a blessing at the same time.....

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FTP doesn't have the best detectors for iron mineralized soils. That's usually been MineLab and Whites, and not their lower priced units. Both companies are located in iron infested areas.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you mention Whites headquarters. I used to live in Sweet Home for about 6 months back in 2001 or 2002...been a while. The friend I mentioned above still lives there....a stones throw from the Whites headquarters.

In some places the soil is so soft you could sink a full sized shovel with minimal effort. I just cannot understand how Oregon soil can be considered worse than what is here in Colorado. It's like peat moss vs sandstone. It is so soft and EVERYTHING grows over there. It was so green and beautiful....out here is so brown and dead.

It's not even soil here...it's dirt. Small sandy pebbles like 1/64th across. The sand looks like once huge boulders that weathered down over a billion years into tiny specks. I probably have half the elemental chart in my backyard. Surprised all this damn corn, wheat and grass grows....nothing else does....besides weeds and cactii.

Check these macro pics....3 random spots in my backyard....bunch of bleep bleep bleep.....

DSC00145.JPG DSC00146.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    457.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I hear ya. Probably dry and dead there from being on the East side of the Rockies (which usually dumps the rain if it's anything like the Smokies).

When you look at iron concentrations in the US (page 48 on the link below), you can see the trend of iron soils in Colorado, Washington, Oregon, N California, Maine and NC. NE TN is nil for iron.

You could have other minerals as well, like Aluminum, Lead or Nickel. GB doesn't handle all of them, just the prodominant.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1270/pdf/PP1270_508.pdf

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to those charts I have high lead and iron...and fairly above average everything else.

Awesome. :censored:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ROTFL...........:laughing9:

I have a second bedroom if you want to check out of ironland.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread