Land Ranger Pro Review - Part 1...

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured this detector would take a 2 part video and I was right. Part one is 30 minutes alone...and that is after I re-recorded the first one I did that ran close to 50 minutes!! Tried to hurry it along for this take.

Let me know if I missed anything glaring....or if I am incorrect on something...so I can make an annotation to correct it...thank you.

Things to note....

I will cover the PP button and holding down mode for temp AM mode in Part 2...
Also will cover ground balance and quick grab in part 2.....

Left them out on purpose as part 2 will be partially outside....so will show those features off then.

Hope you enjoy....if embed does not work in your browser...use this link - https://youtu.be/z6hfAZXqrR8

Here is part 2...placed it here rather than making new post. Sorry it is 56 minutes long....alot to show and talk about.
Watch it when you have an hour to kill....

If embed video does not work click here -- https://youtu.be/PfL0O9zzTDs

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that this choice out voted the F 44?

The F44 is for the wife...she tends to splash water and drop in mud etc etc...F44 will do her well.

This is mine and she can never ever touch it or even look at it.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent video HunterGT. You covered a lot and showed the LRPs abilities to a T. I would only add that the headphone jack on the lower left underside has a sliding door to cover it when not in use to keep out dirt. Other than that, the video is perfect for new and seasoned detectorists alike. You are a master at good video productions.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent video HunterGT. You covered a lot and showed the LRPs abilities to a T. I would only add that the headphone jack on the lower left underside has a sliding door to cover it when not in use to keep out dirt. Other than that, the video is perfect for new and seasoned detectorists alike. You are a master at good video productions.:thumbsup:

Thanks man I appreciate that! :occasion14: I knew I forgot something...I will make sure to mention that when I head outdoors for part 2...should be heading out there soon to start.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is your avatar Jeff Bridges doing something?

I put your video on another forum as well. BH facebook should pick it up as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your avatar Jeff Bridges doing something?

I put your video on another forum as well. BH facebook should pick it up as well.

The Big Lebowski...a favorite movie of mine.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the weight of this machine. Even with a big coil it still is a lite-weight and has a very strong function. I looked at the MXS, whites new offering and it goes over 4 pounds. No one was able to tell me the coil weight or how much the swing weight would be with a small accessory coil. The factory did not even know. I guess that water proofing weighs a bunch. The Fisher group has it together on putting out codger friendly products.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can swing the Lone Star Pro and Land Ranger Pro for hours without issue...incredibly light and well balanced.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice detailed video THGT. :thumbsup: It's a double feature (part 1 & 2). The detector feels feather light after I hunted with the F75 with the 15" coil. It's a detector that I could swing all day into the evening. It's even lighter than the F4 I used to swing. I am so glad to sense your enjoyment of the BH LRP. I believe though that if you want to find tiny gold though, you really need a higher frequency detector. If you're lucky enough to swing over a nugget, I am sure the LRP will ID it, yet the small particles of gold, I doubt that the 7.69 khz is up to the task. JMHO. I am looking forward to Part 2 and then to see some sweet finds from future hunts.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man. Can ya tell I like it? LOL

Yeah it def will not find super small flake gold like a dedicated gold machine...but I am guessing anything the size of a BB up would be findable with a smaller DD coil. I think a super lucky weekend warrior could hit some nice pickers with it in Arizona or California. Here in Colorado it is all fine gold....need a serious gold machine here for such small bits.

Found 2.2oz last year with the help of the Garrett Scorpion I had...trip to Arizona and sluicing here in Colorado. 1.63oz was small pickers....and I am positive some of those would be hittable by the LRP since 2-3 were twice as big as BB. Hits the backing of a earring pretty easily....so pickers are not out of the realm of possibility.

I agree with you though.....if you are wanting to hunt gold only....buy something else. But as a..."take it just in case there are sizable nuggets...and I don't own anything else"....I think it could surprise somebody.

I will know by the end of summer! LOL

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully finish part 2 up tomorrow...filming has been an effort with winds gusts at 40mph.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part 2 is up. Edited it into the original post. Comes in at a whooping 56 minutes....sorry about that. Probably should have made it a 3 part review....or just get to the point faster and not talk so much....

Alot to show and babble about however...so 56 minutes it is. Watch it when you have an hour to kill.... :occasion14:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Part 2 is great also. Running in AM you could hear the detector picking up the difference in soil saturation. I've never seen soil affect a detector like that. It's like the field was full of railroad spikes. My heart goes out to you. I can run in AM mode, sense 10, without a peep. But my soil is very mild.

But you hit the nail on the head with the pros and cons. It's not perfect, but damn, it's good. And dollar for dollar, nothing beats it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they were railroad spikes....at least I'd have something useful to dig. Wife would love them for her crafty projects.

It is pretty terrible soil out here. I try not to complain...I get many shallow targets to balance out the yin/yang of having the nasty soil. :dontknow:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After viewing the recent couple of user video's on the MXS whites machine that costs more than double of this unit. I concluded that the almost double weight and the limited degree function of the whites machine, certainly did not justify its cost and as of now you have to live with the coil it comes with. This machine has a ton of accessory coils that is available and has nearly the same function as this new tool trying to enter the market. I would like to see a video of a head to head of these two.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite true, bowwinkles.

My friend SoFlaDigger put up a video in the Whites forum. Done by another buddy of mine over the mountain in NC. Watch his video here on the MX Sport that is 3 times the cost of the LRP. He also adds in a Fisher F75, AT Pro and a $1500 Whites V3i to try for a 10" quarter. The 8" detection by the MX Sport may be a bit better than a LRP, but not much as the signals travel the spectrum as well. The best he detects the 10" is when he changes the coil to the 13" NEL. By HunterGTs video, one can see that if you placed the same NEL coil on the LRP, you'd probably gain field to detect the 10" coin as well. Maybe not as good as the others, but pretty close. Now, I would expect a V3i that costs 5 times as much as a LRP to get better depth. But when you're talking an inch, maybe and inch and a half, each person has to figure out if the extra cost is worth it. Both videos (HunterGT and Carolina Coin) is done in highly mineralized soil. But it looks like HunerGT's soil is worse, as Carolina Coin's threshold tone on the MX Sport seemed to remain pretty steady.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea The Big Lebowski has got to be my favorite.Jeff Bridges movie,the dude or el dudereno.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
research on the LRP has told me that the accessory coil data is fairly vague. The problem is in most cases they do not list the connector type, just the coil size and type. The LRP needs coils with the slip on type of connector. It would be great if Bounty hunter would make a chart listing the greek and other coils that are compatible other than just the Bounty hunter coils. conversion plugs/cables have been made but I could not find where they are offered as an accessory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread