Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's $200 less than the Teknetics Gamma 6000 and it's the same detector. I posted this on another site and it was taken down PDQ. Hopefully it will stay up here.

I called Bounty Hunter direct and the sales rep said it's the same exact detector except the display is moved back onto the handle instead of on the rod and it's missing the Teknetics logo's.

The price is good until the 15th. I got me one.

http://www.metaldetector.com/bounty-hunter-platinum-metal-detector

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone purchased a Bounty Hunter in 2017 or 2018, I’m a beginner and need help
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard BucketList47! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
metal_detector.gif
2nd - While waiting - you might consider browsing Forum: Brands > Bounty Hunter.

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/ AT Pro Pointer/ BH Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a platinum pro. Got it used in 2016 for $180 (I spent more on my pinpointer and shovel!). The machine supposedly was used less than a handful of times, but it did look as if it was never taken out of the box.
In less than 5 minutes, my 2nd dig, found a wheat penny in my front yard. Not too exciting for most, but I never even held a MD in my life. I got hooked. Thats exactly what an entry level machine is all about. FUN. You want to find v nickels and colonial coins, or go look for rings and jewlery at the beach, then buy accordingly. Generally, specifics is Not what entry level Anything is about.
Even at double the price for a new platinum pro its a good deal. It has multiple levels of discrimination. Has 3 nice distinctive tones. Is light and has vdi numbers for a noob to grow with. The only lacking feature that I would like is a backlit lcd screen.
Sure it's not a XP Deus or a GPZ gold machine, but for less than 400 bucks? Or the land ranger pro at 250?? That machine has a vdi as well. I mean come on, you gotta get real sometime.

David

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone purchased a Bounty Hunter in 2017 or 2018, I’m a beginner and need help

what ever you get, be sure to a machine with vdi. Vdi are those 2 numbers that change depending on what your detector is over. You can a new machine with this feature for 250. So if you're looking at Anything above this price, be sure it at least has that. If not move on. Beyond the vdi, you'll get more features depending on your budget. So, 250 for vdi all the way to 2500 for a machine that can connect to your pc and show you step by step where you've walked and what you found on google maps. All depends on how much bang for your buck you want. 2018 has some Really cool stuff at all prices now. Great time to start hunting at any budget.

David

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the BH Land Ranger Pro for a while, ultra light and comes with features that are standard on higher end machines. The same detector was re branded as the Teknetics Liberator. Best bang for the buck in my eyes when you can get one fr $230 or less. I like DD coils over concentric coils and both the LRP and Liberator come stock with the DD coil.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what ever you get, be sure to a machine with vdi. Vdi are those 2 numbers that change depending on what your detector is over. You can a new machine with this feature for 250. So if you're looking at Anything above this price, be sure it at least has that. If not move on. Beyond the vdi, you'll get more features depending on your budget. So, 250 for vdi all the way to 2500 for a machine that can connect to your pc and show you step by step where you've walked and what you found on google maps. All depends on how much bang for your buck you want. 2018 has some Really cool stuff at all prices now. Great time to start hunting at any budget.

David

I agree it's a great time to be starting in the hobby. Machines that cost a grand 4 years ago can be bough slightly used for $300-$400 now if you are vigil and look for deals you might even get one cheaper if the seller is motivated to liquidate since the hobby was not for them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, time out. Some off the wall statements are coming in like flies to a picnic. First Texas makes metal detectors that really work. You do NOT need a vdi to find good stuff with any detector. They do reduce the amount of digging for iffy targets, but you can STILL miss some small gold. The price of a detector does not necessarily make a difference in what you find. There are three main rules which need to apply: You need a detector that works, the stuff has to be there to begin with, otherwise you won't find it and the coil has to go over it and you have to DIG it.

Now, you do NOT need a PI machine or a multifrequency machine to work at a salt water beach. It is true the PI's will go deeper, but I have found more than one gold ring, pendant or earring in the wet salt sand or in the water with a no VDI single frequency $329 machine. Don't let anyone tell you that you must *insert machine name here* to get good targets out of the salt water. My best gold and diamond ring was found one foot deep in the wet sand with a $329 no meter (vdi) single frequency machine. I was getting so tired of digging on that target, and it was a screamer of a signal.

There are ways and trick to make even a very inexpensive single frequency machine work at a salt water beach.

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with everything said from smokey. It makes complete sense. If it detects, you can find stuff. But you need to know what you're doing. I just suggested, very strongly, that no one should start out without at least vdi. They are so affordable now and for someone not knowing anything, this is about the biggest advantage you can have to shorten out that learning curve.
And as far as dogging on these machines? $230 for a capable detector with the vdi and as loco mentioned, a dd coil standard. When it cost around $180 for a dd coil alone for most machines.
Lots changed in just the past 2 years. Even garrett had to come out with the ace 300 and 400 to keep up. And those have the vdi added.

Last edited:

sssmiller

Mar 16, 2016
Ogden Utah, from Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it's a great time to be starting in the hobby. Machines that cost a grand 4 years ago can be bough slightly used for $300-$400 now if you are vigil and look for deals you might even get one cheaper if the seller is motivated to liquidate since the hobby was not for them.
Exactly.
I've been watching the Whites Sport Pro. Kinda new model still, sells around 700-800, those have been popping up around 400 used. Personally, I would settle on a used Sport Pro than a new Platinum Pro. But thats not fair. Like I mentioned, I found my Platinum Pro in pretty much new condition for 180.
Heck, CTX 3030 are popping up at 1300 every now and then. 😳 So when do you stop? It's like, but for just another 100 I can get this, then, oooh look at these for just another 150. Pretty soon your trying to persuade the wife into a camping trip instead of a trip to St. Thomas because its "more romantic".. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread