relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got the 11"DD coil a couple weeks ago and have been going over places I've been to many times like they are new-finding much more. Greater sensitivity and stsability.
Pinpointing a bit trickier, but getting used to it.

On another note,I've noticed the sound spazzing out from time to time. Changing batteries didn't help. Always recovers though.I use headphones but it appears to be doing it without headphones as well.
My unit is a year old, and extensively used and this is the only problem (which is intermittent) If it persists, I'll call the dealer I bought it from and ask about it.
Anyuone else notice anything similar? Last year the unit did "go nuts" periodically, but not lately. I did notice that it would sometimes beep when bumping something with the stock coil while swinging the detector, and it almost never does it with the 11" DD coil, allowing me to use sensitivity 10 setting without excessive false beeps.

Anyone else notice any sound problems with the platinum?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am very pleased with the improved performance of the Platinum with the 11" DD coil upgrade. There is an increase in depth, and better target separation as well as more stability over the stock coil. I highly recommend the upgrade. The improvement greatly exceeds my expectations.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been using my platinum almost a year. Don't seem to hit many targets below 4 inches, and almost never a coin below 2-3 inches. Stock coil so maybe time for the 11 inch? Or, anybody have tips for hitting deeper? Sensitivity usually 7 or 8 just to keep the machine from going crazy. Land locked, no beaches in my area (Northern Louisiana).

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Northern Louisiana is mostly pretty mild mineralization. If you're not finding stuff beyond 4 inches, you've probably got one of the following problems:

1. You're searching in places where the stuff isn't deeper. The Platinum will normally hit stuff in the 4-7 inch range about as well as most other machines. If other detectorists are finding plenty of deeper stuff in the same areas, the problem is not mineralization.

2. Perhaps your technique in using the machine and in recovering targets is not very good. A common circumstance with newbies, I'm not making fun of you. Asking a few more questions on forums hoping to learn from more experienced users may go a long way toward improving your recovery depth.

3. We like to think that everything we manufacture goes out the door perfect and remains working perfectly forever, but once in a while it doesn't actually work out that way. If your machine readily detects and identifies correctly coins in the 6-8 inch range in an air test, and detects coins beyond 8 inches in areas that are at least a few hundred feet away from power line interference, it's probably working fine. If it doesn't do that, there's probably something wrong with it, call the factory 915 633-8354 and ask for Bounty Hunter customer service to see if the problem can be resolved over the phone or if the unit needs to come back under warranty.

--Dave J.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Northern Louisiana is mostly pretty mild mineralization. If you're not finding stuff beyond 4 inches, you've probably got one of the following problems:

1. You're searching in places where the stuff isn't deeper. The Platinum will normally hit stuff in the 4-7 inch range about as well as most other machines. If other detectorists are finding plenty of deeper stuff in the same areas, the problem is not mineralization.

2. Perhaps your technique in using the machine and in recovering targets is not very good. A common circumstance with newbies, I'm not making fun of you. Asking a few more questions on forums hoping to learn from more experienced users may go a long way toward improving your recovery depth.

3. We like to think that everything we manufacture goes out the door perfect and remains working perfectly forever, but once in a while it doesn't actually work out that way. If your machine readily detects and identifies correctly coins in the 6-8 inch range in an air test, and detects coins beyond 8 inches in areas that are at least a few hundred feet away from power line interference, it's probably working fine. If it doesn't do that, there's probably something wrong with it, call the factory 915 633-8354 and ask for Bounty Hunter customer service to see if the problem can be resolved over the phone or if the unit needs to come back under warranty.

--Dave J.

Thanks Dave. I'm all about learning and will compare air testing against the ground results. Question: does ground balancing the machine increase depth, accuracy, or both? Thanks for the feedback!

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question: does ground balancing the machine increase depth, accuracy, or both? Thanks for the feedback!

I have found that ground balancing with my BH Platinum really cuts down on erratic signals when I'm in notch mode while in a trashy area. I have not noticed an increase in depth. My platinum has what I feel is great depth (for a stock coil - 8 inches consistently ) and accurate as hell in pinpoint, if it says a coin is 4 inches deep then it is - I don't have to second guess it at all.

just my 2 cents worth

HH

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, I've been using the Platinum for almost 2 yrs. I think it's a decent machine for the money. I almost immediately upgraded to the Fisher F5 11" DD coil. It most certainly enhances it's capabilities. An example, I searched my own yard as we all do, to check out the machine. My home was built mid 1930s, found some clad and a few wheats, and a gold plated poodle charm, no silver or anything exciting.
Put on the 11" DD and it was like opening the basement door! Found 25plus wheats, 4merc dimes, 2rosies, and a bunch of 1940s nickels and right where I had found the gold plated charm I pulled out a sterling silver and turquoise ring. I had checked and rechecked that hole with the 8' stock concentric coil and nothing.
For those considering buying one, I see that the Bounty Hunter website offers a Platinum w/11' DD for only $100.00 more than the stock coil. that is much less than they charge for one separately. For those wanting to upgrade to an 11" DD, shop around for a Fisher F5 11"DD coil with the oldstyle PUSH connector NOT the newer screw on connector.
When I went to the website of the place I purchased my Platinum from, I tried to get the F5 coil. They had it listed as not available ,so I ended up ordering the one listed for the Platinum for considerably more money. When the coil arrived the first thing I noticed was the coil said "F5"!! I wasn't happy that they were selling the F5 coils as Platinum ones for much more money!! They did refund the money for the difference in price. BUYER BEWARE.
The Platinum hits on nickels very well which is good, as many gold items fall in that range. I have found a couple gold rings one with a good size diamond, the oldest coin I found was an 1847 seated half dime. I think the Platinum will serve anyone very well.

Hope the info helps.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings, I've been using the Platinum for almost 2 yrs. I think it's a decent machine for the money. I almost immediately upgraded to the Fisher F5 11" DD coil. It most certainly enhances it's capabilities. An example, I searched my own yard as we all do, to check out the machine. My home was built mid 1930s, found some clad and a few wheats, and a gold plated poodle charm, no silver or anything exciting.
Put on the 11" DD and it was like opening the basement door! Found 25plus wheats, 4merc dimes, 2rosies, and a bunch of 1940s nickels and right where I had found the gold plated charm I pulled out a sterling silver and turquoise ring. I had checked and rechecked that hole with the 8' stock concentric coil and nothing.
For those considering buying one, I see that the Bounty Hunter website offers a Platinum w/11' DD for only $100.00 more than the stock coil. that is much less than they charge for one separately. For those wanting to upgrade to an 11" DD, shop around for a Fisher F5 11"DD coil with the oldstyle PUSH connector NOT the newer screw on connector.
When I went to the website of the place I purchased my Platinum from, I tried to get the F5 coil. They had it listed as not available ,so I ended up ordering the one listed for the Platinum for considerably more money. When the coil arrived the first thing I noticed was the coil said "F5"!! I wasn't happy that they were selling the F5 coils as Platinum ones for much more money!! They did refund the money for the difference in price. BUYER BEWARE.
The Platinum hits on nickels very well which is good, as many gold items fall in that range. I have found a couple gold rings one with a good size diamond, the oldest coin I found was an 1847 seated half dime. I think the Platinum will serve anyone very well.

Hope the info helps.

Sounds interesting. Will look for one. Why old style? Screw-in wont fit? Where did you buy yours?

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Boss,

That's correct, the screw on connector is a newer style and does not work with the platinum. You can get one from any dealer that sells the Fisher F5 (push connector) 11' DD coil.Shop around for best price. It really made the Platinum deeper and more efficient to use. With the original 8" concentric coil and the recomended 50% overlap per sweep that gives you an effective 4 inches of output per sweep! With the 11" DD and it's more effecient search output pattern you get nearly the entire 11" per sweep with less overlap and it goes deeper.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess its time to order one then. Found one for $169. Seems to be the best price out there.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it Boss!! I don't think you'll be sorry. GOOD HUNTING

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters. Havent really been out in a while and even then still a rookie. I just bought the Platinum yesterday and was messing with it a bit. I hear good reviews but one thing that was bothering me already was how I will hit and then swing again over and over in the same spot and nothing. Then maybe swing again and it will hit???????????????? When i pinpoint sometimes its just blank and sometimes it hits but its over a large area and gets louder in a certain area???????? Ima keep messing with it and let yall know if I have any luck in my backyard.

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for feedback on the f5 11" DD coil on the Platinum
I've read a couple reviews here. Looking to see if results are still positive and if others have put the Fischer f5 on their Platinums and how they like it. Also, best price out there?

mole 248

Feb 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for starting this thread. I've had my platinum over a year and since retiring last June, I've been giving it a work out. I started detecting back in the 70's with a Red Baron. The Platinum is certainly a major improvement. My only complaint is the lack of info on it. First Texas & Bountry Hunter treats it like an illegitimate child . I use a stock 8 inch coil. Haven't found a lot of coins cause I do mostly woods hunting. The coins I have found, the PP & I.d. has been very good. My oldest coin find was a 1941 wheat penny at 9 inches. I have noticed when detecting after this winter , when the ground is still froze 3 or 4 inches down, the ground balance changes as the ground warms up. I've gotten into the habit of re ground balancing every so often. Not sure if this is normal but it helped the accuracy of the machine. Also I've experienced as others have , when switching to PP or all metals, sometimes detector goes blank. If I switch back & forth a few times, its OK. Looking forward to getting info on platinum and hearing results on 11 inch coil. Good luck & good hunting

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
Picked up a used bh plat. Yesterday. Went to an area that hosts a carnival each year and has for over fifty years. Turned it on and made a few sweeps. Got all kinds of signals. Dime, zinc,quarter, pull tab,numbers and depth all over the place. Slowed down and pinpointed a few. To make a long story short found 4 pennies a dime a quarter and 2 pull tabs in that small area. Pretty impressed. It started raining so I had to leave. Think this will be an impressive machine as soon as I start to figure it out.

RCDIGGS

Greenie
Apr 17, 2013
southeast NH
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE, BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM, TEKNETICS T2, GARRETT PROPOINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I have been using my Platinum for two years now. The first year with the stock coil, and last year with the Fisher F5 DD coil. I read through this thread, and may be able to shed some light on some questions.
The Fisher coil upgrade made a noticeable difference on both depth, and identification. The thing that sold me on the upgrade was watching some air test comparison videos on you tube. The ones I watched were done well, and made sense to me. With the original coil, I got good identifiable coin hits to about 6". after that readings were all over the place, but you still could tell if it was a good hit.(with some practice with the machine) Pinpointing was better with the 8" stock coil. With the 11" dd coil, I have to "x" pattern my coil while pinpointing. No big deal, just takes some getting used to. My deepest find with the dd coil for a copper penny is around 8-9", and that's not bad for any machine.
I live in NH, and the soil can change as the rocks change. I find myself ground balancing often, and it does make a big difference. The moment I think my machine is chattering, I balance out the machine. Same thing if it starts doing nothing. Learn how to do it right, it's easy and fast.
As for the going crazy thing, mine does that, and did it with both coils. Right now it is in for repair. At the end of last year, it started to lock up on me, and did so again this spring on a trip down south. After about 15 minutes, it just stops picking things up. All controls work, I can go back and forth from all metals to discriminate, but no signal. I had to ware shoes with metal grommets, and go over them every so often. When they did not pick up, I had to turn the machine off , and restart, and then it would be fine for about another 15 minutes. Should be back any day now. Still got too much snow to do anything anyway.
Overall I really like the machine. I go out with people that have better, and worse machines, and for the money you cannot do better then the platinum. You have to spend quite a bit more money to get a noticeably better machine. Too those of you that just got one of the platinum's, give yourself time to learn the machine.
Hope this helps a bit..... HAPPY HUNTING ALL
RON C

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you picked up the DD? PM me if you'd rather not post the details. I'm ready to add it to my Platinum.

RCDIGGS

Greenie
Apr 17, 2013
southeast NH
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE, BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM, TEKNETICS T2, GARRETT PROPOINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it from the same place I bought my Platinum. $169 and if you find it on ebay, its probably the same place. They do come up used, but don't last long. Last one I noticed sold for around $125 couple weeks back.
ron c

KP63

Nov 25, 2013
Ok been out a few times with the plat. With 11" dd. first it's DEEP found pennies at 9" heavy metal ring from a farm wagon at over 11". So u will be digging. Pin point once I practiced a little is dead on. If numbers jump it's prob. junk. I still dig most everything. Fresh batteries r a must. I'm really starting to enjoy this machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions