Bounty Hunter Platinum Users Thread

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alchemist
What depth does the object read while not pinpointing?
I'm not sure I've ever looked at depth while pinpointing. I always check the initial signal. I will try to remember. To look in pinpoint to see if I get the same results.

the objects read 9-12 inches deep when in detection mode. I guess that's the rub: while does it show 9-12" in one mode, but 3" in the other? Only seems to happen with large objects, as pinpointing does indicate greater depths when hitting smaller objects like coins (4,5,6" deep). Really, when honing in on a deep object (including big objects), the pinpointing feature ought to read only in the high numbers. It's almost as if the pinpointing depth is based on strength of signal as opposed to position of signal.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the objects read 9-12 inches deep when in detection mode. I guess that's the rub: while does it show 9-12" in one mode, but 3" in the other? Only seems to happen with large objects, as pinpointing does indicate greater depths when hitting smaller objects like coins (4,5,6" deep). Really, when honing in on a deep object (including big objects), the pinpointing feature ought to read only in the high numbers. It's almost as if the pinpointing depth is based on strength of signal as opposed to position of signal.

Depth is more accurate on coin sized objects. All detectors with TID will see larger objects closer and in a higher range (beer cans showing up as silver quarters). This is when you lift the coil off of the ground to see if you still get 3-4 inches while 6" in the air. False positive.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a new Land Ranger Pro that will be here next week. I also plan to buy a Platinum since they are down to under $300 new. The coils are interchangeable. Each machine has it's strengths.

Life is sweet.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I just bought a bounty hunter platinum. could not pass on the deal. Cabelas had them on sale for $249. For that price I figured I should give it a go. I was looking at a fisher f2 until I saw this for the price. Oh course its winter here in Maine and the ground is frozen, I tried to ground balance it out side but im not sure I did it right. I went by the directions but maybe because the ground is frozen it didn't work(not sure)? If someone had one it would be great if they could post a video on how to ground balance it. There is not much on the web on how to do it. and the videos Ive seen on it , show people pumping the coil. that is not what the directions call for. It is different from ground balancing the gamma 6000 (directions are different). It would be great if someone that has one could post a few new videos and reviews of it. I plan on doing just that when I get a chance to use it and understand it better.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In all metal mode, pushing the PP button and holding it while pumping the coil up and down to about an inch from the ground balances the Platinum. The display goes from AM to Ground Grab when to hold the PP button. It has to be in all metal mode to ground balance.

That was a good price on a great machine.

Welcome to TNet.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all metal mode, pushing the PP button and holding it while pumping the coil up and down to about an inch from the ground balances the Platinum. The display goes from AM to Ground Grab when to hold the PP button. It has to be in all metal mode to ground balance.

That was a good price on a great machine.

Welcome to TNet.

That is not at all what the directions call for. Do you have the platinum?
Now the gamma manual shows it like you discribe but not the bounty hunter.

Plantinum direction:
The Process is as follows:
1. Find a patch of ground which is free of metal.
Use the DISCRIMINATION Mode, with no targets discriminated out.
2. Enter the ALL METAL Mode of operation.
3. Hold the detector with the searchcoil a foot or two above the ground.
4. Press-and-Hold
The GROUND GRAB® Computerized Ground Balancing line is
illuminated.
5. Lower the searchcoil down to within 2 inches of the ground.
6. After successfully ground balancing, release
You have successfully ground balanced after a 2-digit number appears in
the middle of the screen. After 3 seconds with the same 2-digit number
displayed, you will hear a repeating high tone, indicating that ground
balancing was successful.

Now that says NOTHING about pumping the coil. Here is the GAMMA directions:

AUTOMATIC GROUND BALANCING PROCEDURE USING GROUND GRAB
1. Find a spot of ground where there is no metal present.
2. Hold the detector with the searchcoil about one foot
above the ground.
3. Enter the GROUND GRAB mode.
3. Push and hold
4. Physically pump the searchcoil and detector up and
down over the ground.
Lift it about 6 inches above the ground and lower it to within
1 inch of the ground, about once or twice a second.
5. A 2-digit ground value will appear on the display. This is the
Ground Balance setting.
6. When the 2-digit ground value stabilizes, release the button.

Now that one says to pump.!

So I would like to here from people that really own this detector(PLATINUM) and know how to ground balance it the right way. I video would be great too!!

Last edited:

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Hello I have the platinum.the only thing different that I do is when in all metal mode I point detector in the air hold down pinpointer button then point detector at the ground at about an inch from the ground and wait for it to beep 5 times.I tried the pumping thing wouldn't work right for me.I have not tried it on frozen ground so dont know if frozen ground will balance or not .hope this helps happy hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I have the platinum.the only thing different that I do is when in all metal mode I point detector in the air hold down pinpointer button then point detector at the ground at about an inch from the ground and wait for it to beep 5 times.I tried the pumping thing wouldn't work right for me.I have not tried it on frozen ground so dont know if frozen ground will balance or not .hope this helps happy hunting

Thanks that is what I have done too. But I never here a beep at the end so im not sure im doing it right or if it wont ground balance on frozen ground.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Hmm do you see the numbers counting down.mine starts at 82 then counts down.then when it gets close to done it might jump between a couple of numbers before it stops.sometimes it make a buzz noise and wont balance.you must make sure no metal in the ground when your trying to balance and also dont be under or around power lines as that will effect it to.feel free to pm me if have more questions.good luck

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks that is what I have done too. But I never here a beep at the end so im not sure im doing it right or if it wont ground balance on frozen ground.

Thanks. Maybe I was not holding the pin point button down long enough to go through it. I will try again later this morning. Thanks for the info.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Your welcome hope it works.yes you have to hold button down until it completes its balancing cycle.happy hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome hope it works.yes you have to hold button down until it completes its balancing cycle.happy hunting

How do you like your Platinum? Have you had it long? Any good finds with it? How would you rate it now you have used it?

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Ive had platinum for couple years.it was an upgrade from the bounty hunter pioneer ex.The platinum took some getting used to.I like it pretty well.The id is pretty well right most of the time.As for finds lots of clad.Few silver dimes so silver jewelry several match box cars.Ive been hunting same spot for last 4 years.The first two years was with the ex and I must say it is also a good machine.As I expected to find more with the platinum then I have.I think if I would scout me out a new place to hunt the platinum would surprise me.The only complaint I have about the platinum is the power button to easy to hit have accidentally shut machine off couple times.Also the plug for the coil must be connected good otherwise machine get erratic and makes me think something wrong.Just take your time and learn your what your machine telling you.I have figured out on mine that if number stays constant (Ex 83 to 84 ) I can count on it being a copper penny or a dime.Its mainly a learning thing.I also started out with sensitivity at 6 to eliminate some chatter.Sorry for long post enjoy your day.happy hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had platinum for couple years.it was an upgrade from the bounty hunter pioneer ex.The platinum took some getting used to.I like it pretty well.The id is pretty well right most of the time.As for finds lots of clad.Few silver dimes so silver jewelry several match box cars.Ive been hunting same spot for last 4 years.The first two years was with the ex and I must say it is also a good machine.As I expected to find more with the platinum then I have.I think if I would scout me out a new place to hunt the platinum would surprise me.The only complaint I have about the platinum is the power button to easy to hit have accidentally shut machine off couple times.Also the plug for the coil must be connected good otherwise machine get erratic and makes me think something wrong.Just take your time and learn your what your machine telling you.I have figured out on mine that if number stays constant (Ex 83 to 84 ) I can count on it being a copper penny or a dime.Its mainly a learning thing.I also started out with sensitivity at 6 to eliminate some chatter.Sorry for long post enjoy your day.happy hunting

Thanks you.
I have played around with it in the house. Got a nickel,quarter,copper penny,zink penny,tin foil, pull tab. I put it on 4 tones and played around listening and watching the id which hits the same every time. Though like you said, copper pennies and a dime hit right at the same id#. Nickel for me hit 57 and the pull tab hits at 58 every time ( thats good to know). I took 2 pieces of printer paper and had my kid put what ever he wanted under each paper, without me seeing. I then played around sweeping my coil over the paper and telling him what was under each piece. At first he was like "how did you do that" then I showed him and let him try. He did great until I slipped my wedding band under one and he got a hit he wasn't use too. He looked at me and said "pull tab??" I said "Maybe if your mother bought it from a bubble gum machine!" LOL

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Cool your learning and yes numbers can tell you alot.However there are times you will be fooled.My wedding band reads 42 to 44 but so does tinfoil which is all I ever find in that range.The nickle is from 55 to 57 but ever so often a pulltab a show up.If I get a constant 84 I count on a dime.Then at 89 or 90 I expect a quarter.However I been fooled by matchbox cars and a half dollar or buried soda cans .its all fun to find kind of like buying grab bags never know what you a get and always chance of something good.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool your learning and yes numbers can tell you alot.However there are times you will be fooled.My wedding band reads 42 to 44 but so does tinfoil which is all I ever find in that range.The nickle is from 55 to 57 but ever so often a pulltab a show up.If I get a constant 84 I count on a dime.Then at 89 or 90 I expect a quarter.However I been fooled by matchbox cars and a half dollar or buried soda cans .its all fun to find kind of like buying grab bags never know what you a get and always chance of something good.

Ya my wedding ring, id's at 62. It would depend on the gold content and size of the ring I would guess.

I just went out and tried to ground grab. I think I got it.

I held the coil up a couple feet in all metals pressed ground grab(PP) lowered it to the ground. started at 85 and watched it drop to 57 as I held it in the same spot. when the number stays there I heard a beep. I let off the pin point button and now feel it is ground balanced.

Thank you!!

The way I read it, I thought once it got to a number I let off the PP and thought the number would show up and then beep. My bad. The instructions were a little confusing to me. But now that I have done it, the instructions are clear.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Cool glad I was able to help .I usually let mine beep 3 to 5 times.The reason I do this is I had noticed that sometimes after first beep the numbers a start to change.So I hold it till numbers stay constant.happy hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool glad I was able to help .I usually let mine beep 3 to 5 times.The reason I do this is I had noticed that sometimes after first beep the numbers a start to change.So I hold it till numbers stay constant.happy hunting

Good to know. I just did a quick video. after I upload it I'll post it. hopefully it will help others. There seems to be confusing info on the net about ground balancing it. I know I wanted more info on the dectector and there really isn't many videos on it.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go guys. A visual for people.
Thanks "Fixitdave" for your help!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread