Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter 2 - Feature Review and Air Tests (video)

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the other detector I picked up at the yard sale....this one for $20. Tried to keep it similar to the Lone star Pro video for comparison sake.....although it is apples and oranges I still wanted to compare both detectors since my wife and I will be using them for the foreseeable short-term future as long as they don't turn out to be duds. Who doesn't compare stuff right?

Speaking of duds....we did take them both out to the park today but no credible footage. The wind was unbearable and gusted hard enough to blow knock a person a little off-balance. Only found a single penny but half the battle was concentrating on the wind as much as the signals. We called it a day and decided to get some footage either tomorrow or the next day weather permitting. I will post those videos (if interested) in the regular video section. I only posted these 2 review videos here since they pertain to this sub-forum.

Anyways...enough babble...onto the show. (If embed does not work) ----> https://youtu.be/POdKhvn3TlA

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A machine with slower recovery just means a slower sweep speed most of the time. Still can't beat it for $20. Should pay for itself after a handful of hunts of just clad. Anything more is a bonus.

Great vid.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man. For $20 I'm def not complaining. :laughing7: My wife likes to swing slow and really takes her time with each target from different angels. She is learning fast and had a blast with it today even with the terrible conditions and lack of finds.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the maiden voyage of the Sharpshooter 2. It hit dimes like crazy. ID was excellent...although all targets were shallow as it is not a terribly old park.

I did notice copper pennies show up as dimes on the ID. So I am guessing they show pretty close on other machines that have a numerical ID system?

Was a super fun day with it. Like is as much as the LRP....should have brought both but wanted to give the SS2 a by itself day too.

(if embed does not work) ---> https://youtu.be/5ogo2dwiSBQ

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're really going to love it when it says dime and you pull out a silver ring or jewelry. My first gold ring rang a perfect nickel. SURPRISE! Then you really get hooked.:laughing7:

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of habit I had disc at 3 o clock so no tabs all day. A habit I will soon break since nickels are gone then too. Not used to having a machine that can tell the difference between the 2 so a little re-writing of the book will need to happen. Plus both have notch settings so I can keep nickels. The LSP notch system is easy....the SS2 is a little trickier and I have not fully fiddled with it yet.

Usually pretty satisfied with gold just from our prospecting we do here in Colorado. But I have to be honest finding a gold ring with a few diamonds in it would make for a nice day in the dirt.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Copper pennies ring in the same area as dimes due to their size and copper content. Most people who start this hobby discriminate too much. I was guilty and have since learned to never disc out nickles and zinc pennies. I usually notched nickles back in, but found very few of them last year compared to all the other coins I dug. I have yet to find any gold jewelry, but have dug a small gold pocket watch. I believe my only IHP was pulled last year due to my requirement to pull a coin, any coin, from a site before I move on. I was hunting a property that was once a mobile home park. I reduced my disc after an hour so I could at least pull a zincoln and move on. The only coin I dug was a small green encrusted glob. The crust made the coin appear as round like a marble. Worst shape coin I ever pulled. This year since I disc very little I have pulled 21 IHPs.

You two have the opportunity to make some nice finds if you get some permissions to hunt older sites. Most coins are 8" deep or less which puts them in reach of both your new detectors. :hello:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree Loco. If you test the LRP in coin mode compared to AM or even Mode 4, you lose an inch or so in depth. For some reason, selective "notching" causes a decrease in depth, therefor, changing slightly ID ability on deeper targets. Disc doesn't appear to affect that much. Like a Tesoro, moving up the conductivity scale to silence Iron doesn't seem to cause as much interruption as individual segment notching. I never notch unless I'm detecting and overly trashy area, like around a park pavilion. But then I usually use a small sniper coil that isn't depth intensive anyways.

It's better to let a low iron tone come through and ignore it than to silence it unless it's overly annoying if you're seeking max depth and best ID.

I have found, that in the beginning, I tried to properly ID a nickel, a quarter, a dime, etc. to know whether to chance a dig. Now I try to properly ID a tab, iron junk and foil, and dig what is left. That's is where the jewelry hides.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info fellas. I will try some digs without notch and just light disc only and see how it feels. One of the bigger parks here has a few pavilions that drives me bonkers if I don't have disc up pretty high or at least notch out tabs and caps.

I did dig a few caps/tabs on purpose to see ID accuracy and it was dead on with both machines....but I don't have enough time in dirt with either to be confident yet. I did not include any "on purpose" trash digs in the video but perhaps I should of as it is part of the game.

Last night I sat in my garage for like 2 hours playing with both the LSP and SS2. I broke down both units so I could see each display as I passed stuff over the coil and ruler. It seems the SS2 will only lose like a half inch of depth with any notch setting I try. But that is an air test...and of course dirt will be different here in Colorado mineral heaven (or hell depending how you look at it). The LSP does not show any depth difference at all. I had it in every notch setting I could think of. One item notched...2 items....3 items.....every other item notched. I just don't see a difference. Like I said grain of salt....air test only.

What I find pretty neat is the analog dial on the SS2 and how the notch system works with it. When in notch mode turning the dial right will just add and then pass over and skip and item. For instance a zinc penny would be like 3pm in disc mode to cancel out. But that would also exclude everything under a zinc penny....so alum/5c/foil would be gone too. With this notch setup I can be at 3pm position and JUST the zinc is gone while all those other 12noon and 10pm items still beep in the 3 tones like normal.

I'm sure other machines have worked this same way for years...but it was a first for me and figuring it out was a light bulb moment. The LSP digital notch system is easier and I got it right away....but the dial way on the SS2 is pretty simple too now that I get it. Only draw back to the analog dial is it does not "multi-notch" like the LSP does...which IMO is a great feature to have. however the SS2 has a "auto-notch" feature that will notch out "trash" items in various categories but further testing is needed to see exactly what it kept and what is discarded.

Anyways I babble...thanks for the feedback guys. Learning more each day and hour in my garage fiddling with them. Wish I was into this hobby 20 years ago.... :BangHead: Fun stuff.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread