To coil or not to coil? That is the question.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I scored the Sharp Shooter 2 for $20 and the Lone Star Pro for $30.....I've been thinking perhaps it might not be totally crazy to invest into a coil for one or both? They both have similar 8 inch concentric coils and I figured it might liven things up a bit. I would like your thoughts on a couple scenarios....

First the SS2.....

I know the SS2 runs at 6.6khz. According to BH the Discovery 1100/2200/3300 do as well. Also according to the BH coil chart the SS2...2200...3300 all use the same 8COIL-7BLK as standard. BOUNTY HUNTER COIL TABLE

I see that NEL and CORS make aftermarket coils for the 1100/2200/3300 series. Would these aftermarket coils work with the SS2? I will assume yes since the BH coil chart shows them using the same stock coils. Here are the coil links.... Discovery 1100 / 2200 / 3300 and CORS Scout 12,5x8,5" <--- scroll down for 2200/3300 compatibility.

So here is the question. Would it be worth getting one of those aftermarket 9x5 DD coils for $120 range since I only paid $20 for the detector? I mean hell that is still under Amazons price for just the SS2 at $169. Or should I just grab the BH 4 inch from Amazon for a mere $30 and call it a day? http://amzn.to/202l9bQ Not too interested in the BH 10 inch....just the 4 inch or an aftermarket 9X5 DD. Will it work? Would it be crazy? The SS2 hits a small steel BB at 4 inches the LSP won't hit whatsoever...thinking a aftermarket coil might make it shine even more.

Now the Lone Star Pro.....

Not interested in the QDP 10 inch since I doubt it would be much difference from the 8 inch already on the LSP. I would just buy the QDP at $185 at that point. What about the LRP 11DD coil? That interests me but it is just as pricey as a NEL or CORS aftermarket greek series. Would it be worth it on the LSP? And if yes....the 11DD from the LRP or just go for the NEL or CORS?

Just something I am mulling over in case the similarity in the 8 inch coils get stale. I am NOT looking for new machines. I like these 2 machines...just wondering if coil options would be worth it in my scenario since I only paid $50 combined for both detectors.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't see spending $100-$180 on a coil until you get up into the mid level machines in the $400-$750 range.

But I probably would spend $60-$80 on a used 11" bi-axial coil that would work on your BH machines. I have had both 8" concentric and 11" DD on a Eurotek pro and did like the DD a little better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the opinion Fletch. The savvy side of my brain is saying don't spend money on a coil when that coil would = 80-90% of the machine itself. The don't tell the wife and just order it side is telling me....meh...they were only $50 for both...why not.

I think I will go with the 4inch coil for $30 for the SS2...as that would only raise my total to $50 on that machine and still give me an option to tinker with. Perhaps I can spot a used or on sale coil somewhere with the push-in connector for the LSP.

Will be upgrading to a dual purpose machine for coins and prospecting within a year or so. Something like a F19 or GB Pro. I know I will be buying 1-2 coils for that level of machine. Was just wondering if worth it for these until then. Would hate to get bored with them both having the same coils. :occasion14:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
TheHunterGT, I would go for it! When some say the performance issues of a Bounty Hunter detector is not worth the investment of additional equipment, I say they don't know what their talking about. Performance is where you find it. The Sharpshooter II has everything you need, just get to know the detector and learn to understand it. Performance is not found from the cost of the unit, its found in understanding the unit. The Sharpshooter and SharpshooterII models need to be used slower, get a good DD coil for it. Try the NEL Hunter coil its worth every penny of the $125. I have one on an even less expensive unit. I have one on my old Tracker IV and this unit and set up will go places my F-70 and AT Pro will not. I use this set up for going around the Great Salt Lake both in it and around it. Try a DD coil as the SharpshooterII has Ground track on it, this is a type of ground balance but is not an actual manual ground balance. All DD coils handle high mineral locations better than Concentric (your round coil) that comes standard on it. But the Fisher F2/F4 11" DD coil will work too with the push in plug.
I would not hesitate to add some new add ons to it. Get a good pinpointer, Garrett Propointer, Xpointer or such will help a bunch. Honestly add the coil $135 plus the $20 you paid for it = $155
Good luck Stay Gold!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Discovery NEL coils are screw on and can work on the F2/F4 which is also screw on. The Discovery 3300 and F4 are almost identical. Both use screw on coils. The first Discovery's were plug in, like the first Tek Alpha and Delta were plug in and the first F5 was plug in. FTP made all models screw on a year later. The BH coil chart has mistakes in it. And NEL is correct in saying Discovery but they also say F2/F4 which has always been screw on.

To answer the OP, yes on a 4" for the SSII for $30. No to a 10" or 11" for the LSP. If you are going to spend $140 on a coil, add $90 and get the Land Ranger Pro. They dropped the price on them to $228. The 10" and 11" need a good power house processor to make them shine. The biggest coil a Bounty Hunter 6.6khz handles is a 10" Magnum. FTP doesn't even make a 11"DD for the older BH line.

You won't get much more out of a 11"DD than you would the 8" you have. The bigger coils work best with ground balance, they excel in AM, and give better info for precise numeric ID, three things your LSP doesn't have.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheHunterGT, I would go for it! When some say the performance issues of a Bounty Hunter detector is not worth the investment of additional equipment, I say they don't know what their talking about. Performance is where you find it. The Sharpshooter II has everything you need, just get to know the detector and learn to understand it. Performance is not found from the cost of the unit, its found in understanding the unit. The Sharpshooter and SharpshooterII models need to be used slower, get a good DD coil for it. Try the NEL Hunter coil its worth every penny of the $125. I have one on an even less expensive unit. I have one on my old Tracker IV and this unit and set up will go places my F-70 and AT Pro will not. I use this set up for going around the Great Salt Lake both in it and around it. Try a DD coil as the SharpshooterII has Ground track on it, this is a type of ground balance but is not an actual manual ground balance. All DD coils handle high mineral locations better than Concentric (your round coil) that comes standard on it. But the Fisher F2/F4 11" DD coil will work too with the push in plug.
I would not hesitate to add some new add ons to it. Get a good pinpointer, Garrett Propointer, Xpointer or such will help a bunch. Honestly add the coil $135 plus the $20 you paid for it = $155
Good luck Stay Gold!!

Opie. Where did you get the Hunter for the T-IV? Were you the one that got it from a dealer showing the NEL line? I have been in touch with Gold Diggers and NEL Ukraine. Gold Diggers is the US Distributor and told me that plug in BHs have to made special by NEL Ukraine. NEL Ukraine said the same thing. A NEL is not discounted when ordered direct from NEL. $140 plus $25 shipping and NEL will make a p-lug in BH Sharpshooter coil.

If you have a dealer source, please PM me. I've tried every US distributor of NEL, CORS and DeTech.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a BH pioneer 505 with 4 8 10 inch coils and just got a LRP with the 11DD coil. Air testing in the house (which has a LOT of em from my computer, tv and stuff) The 505 gets about 4 inches of reliable readings for all three coils. The LRP with the 4 inch coil gets about 3, the 8 inch gets about 4inches of reliable readings on a quarter or zn penny. The LRP with the DD gets 8inchs with reliable readings. I have not had a chance to use it out doors and like I said there is a lot of em interference in the house. Its been raining here since I got the LRP so I have not had a chance to use it out doors. Out doors I have dug coins at 8 inches with the 505. I got the LRP off Walmart for 248$ including tax and free shipping. If you are working in trashy areas where you don't need a lot of depth or in large rocks I'd say get the 4 inch coil. That is what I mostly used it for on the 505. So far I like the LRP just need some decent weather and time to learn on it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THGT, you just got the detectors, (great price) and there should be "no way" that you are bored with them and their current coils. I am aligned with Fletch88. GO out and detect with them "as is" and pull your investment out of the ground. When you truly get bored and want to upgrade, you can sell them and will have more $ to invest in what you really want. Take time to enjoy what you have, patience my friend... :coffee2:

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I'm definitely not bored with them or anything close to it. They have already pulled roughly $7 since I got them. Went out today and going out again tomorrow. Definitely not bored.

I have decided I am going to get the 4 inch coil for $30 and put it on the SS2. The price is too low NOT to get it. Since the SS2 hits small stuff like the BB the LSP cannot...I figure the small 4 inch will be a neat coil to add onto it and play with.

Won't get a coil for the LSP unless some miracle buy lands in my lap like a used NEL or CORS on Ebay for 50-75$...then I might bite.

Wife agrees with this plan...so pretty sure that ends it. LOL Thanks for keeping my wallet in check fellas. :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only used my small coil to detect under the bushes and in flower beds around houses. It's great for these areas. I have seen some air tests on the small BH coil. I don't know if I could ever be happy limiting my depth to 4 inches. Many of the coins I dig are 5" to 8" deep, some deeper.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small sniper coils are definitely limited in the depth department, but many of the coins I dig here in this Colorado hard pack are 2-6 inches. Wheat pennies are plentiful at 2-4 and rarely have I dug a coin past 6 inches. As of right now I am enjoying parks/picnic/playground/school type hunts where the finds are shallow and the trash is plentiful. Might find an item or two that could not be separated with the standard 8 inch.

If I ever go to some old relic areaa around here...which I definitely plan on doing soon....it might come in handy around an old building or whatever. IDK...I'll make uses for it lol.

The way I look at it.....air test fun in my garage...trashy shallow hunts....cheapo gold prospecting....tight areas....just something else....that's worth $30 IMO.

My Scorpion found small BB sized nuggets in both Colorado and Arizona last year. It would drop off a BB at 3-4 inches in an air test similar to this SS2. Be neat to find one with a muffler on a stick.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 4" coil will allow you to get closer to things like chain link fences and playground equipment.

The BH 4" is concentric and not DD, so a cone shape with best depth at it's center. Slow tracking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 4" coil will allow you to get closer to things like chain link fences and playground equipment.

The BH 4" is concentric and not DD, so a cone shape with best depth at it's center. Slow tracking.

Roger that. Plenty of fences and metal playgrounds in the local parks.

I usually sweep pretty slow with both these new machines. Neither one of them have great recovery speed or separation. Not bad at all...just not great. The Scorpion and my sons BH Gold Digger easily best these as far as recovery speed.

But these 2 new machines are definitely deeper.

Buried dimes/pennies/quarters yesterday in my back yard. Both hit dimes/pennies at 7 inches and the quarter at 8. So I did lose a full 1-1.5 inches in my back yard which is nothing but a clay and mineral sand mix that is dense and harder than all hell. Almost need an axe to hit 7 inches if it is not grass/sod. I came away impressed and happy.

Will order the 4 inch coil in a few days....I will test that in air and ground as well and post results for those interested. Fun times ahead!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 4" coil for my 202 and have ended up using it more than the standard 8" coil. Great in heavy trash areas that have been pounded by everybody and their brother with every machine imaginable. You might want to just keep the SS2 as a dedicated trash hunter with the Lone Star as your normal conditions machine. Nice buys on those machines by the way! BH gets knocked by people that have never really tried one. I've hunted head to head against everything made & in the long run there is not much difference in the finds, except my initial outlay was considerably less than the guys I've hunted with. Mueller was right when he said that THing was more about the hunter than the machine. You could probably pick up a 4" coil used for under $20. Good hunting!!

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 4" coil for my 202 and have ended up using it more than the standard 8" coil. Great in heavy trash areas that have been pounded by everybody and their brother with every machine imaginable. You might want to just keep the SS2 as a dedicated trash hunter with the Lone Star as your normal conditions machine. Nice buys on those machines by the way! BH gets knocked by people that have never really tried one. I've hunted head to head against everything made & in the long run there is not much difference in the finds, except my initial outlay was considerably less than the guys I've hunted with. Mueller was right when he said that THing was more about the hunter than the machine. You could probably pick up a 4" coil used for under $20. Good hunting!!

I'm not a company specific guy, I use whatever works for me and my price range. But I will say I love my BH machines and snicker right back at anybody snickering about them. I've seen the $60 Gold Digger do amazing things for the price and am thrilled to have the LSP and SS2 in my early arsenal. Zero need in my scenario for a machine that goes 10-12 inches deep and costs close to 2 of my mortgage payments. Maybe someday...but not anytime soon.

Found at least 10 coppers ranging from 1930-1970 around here all at 3 inches or less. According to the other 2-3 detector guys out here they are finding silvers at 4-6. On guy hit a 1956(?) quarter at roughly 2 inches.

If it is not at a manicured and maintained grassy park out here in eastern Colorado...there is just no way for a coin (or anything) to sink very far. This ground is crazy hard packed clay and sand that is like a sandstone when it dries out. Nothing but weeds and grasslands on hardpack out here....hardly a tree or shrub in site if not on private property.

The dirt is so hard here...you can still see the wagon tracks from the 1800's Santa Fe trail. Blew my mind seeing them for the first time.

stevei48

Oct 3, 2015
Mckeesport Pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land ranger pro
vibra probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will the $30.00 4 inch coil work on the LRP. I was working in a really trashy place. And think it might be the answer. But i am not ready to spend alot of money on another coil, if the cheap one won't work.

Steve

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will the $30.00 4 inch coil work on the LRP. I was working in a really trashy place. And think it might be the answer. But i am not ready to spend alot of money on another coil, if the cheap one won't work.

Steve

According to the BH coil chart the 4" will not work with the LRP. One thing you can try in trashy areas with a larger coil is to keep the coil 3-4 inches above the ground as you work your sweeps as that narrows down your response to trash adjacent to coins. You won't get the depth, but you can weed through the trash and pick out shallow coins missed by the other guys that used a standard coil and sweept at ground level.

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slingshot is correct. The 4 inch coil is for the older 6.6khz units.

I use the technique you mentioned with the SS2 to gauge depth on many items since it does not have a depth gauge. Works a treat.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slingshot is correct. The 4 inch coil is for the older 6.6khz units.

I use the technique you mentioned with the SS2 to gauge depth on many items since it does not have a depth gauge. Works a treat.

When you get the 4" coil, you could run it on both of your machines to compare. Have you tried the 6.6 of the SSII on the LSP to see if there is any difference?

OP
OP
TheHunterGT

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get the 4" coil, you could run it on both of your machines to compare. Have you tried the 6.6 of the SSII on the LSP to see if there is any difference?

I have not out of fear they will both explode or some nonsense. Will it hurt anything to try? I'll def do it if it is 100% safe. I would not want to screw anything up. I actually placed a small bit of duct tape on the SS2 coil so I don't get confused.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread