Bounty Hunters???

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently use a bounty hunter sharp shooter 2 with a 10 and 8 inch coil. Well this year I'm really hitting it hard in hopes of finally finding my first silver. I have searched several promising spots, even some dating back to the mid 1800s. I have found lots of clad, 1 ring and various other items including a few 20's wheats. Nothing has been majorly deep other than large items. Now I only use notch and auto notch when I detect cause with all metal mode, my detector will only make one tone and there is just much trash to use. I was wondering if I will need to just upgrade to a higher grade detector to start scoring old coins like everyone else on here or do you think its just cause i haven't swung over any goodies yet? Open to any suggestions.

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are hunting parks, just be intelligent and upgrade to a better machine. Sure, you might get lucky from time to time. But it just can't compete on a consistent level with the higher end machines.

You just don't see posts of BH users saying they went to a park and found 10 silver and 30 wheat pennies. You see that with higher end machines.

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with spooky, if your finding Wheat cents, your doing well. Stick with the sites that you are finding the wheat pennys at, the silver is there.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spooky said:
You will hear a lot of arrogant people tell you to "get another machine"
or "Bounty Hunters are crap"

Are they on par with a White's or Minelab?
No, but the fact remains that it's YOURS.

And i found a LOT of silver, and plenty deep as well with my Sharpshooter 2 .
It's still my backup coinshooter.

It's a good machine, just get to KNOW it, and pinpointing will tell you a LOT about a target with it..
I agree with this guy.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay with your Bounty Hunter they are good machine. Only buy a new one if you rally want too. I started out with A Bounty Hunter years ago and found plenty of silver. I have bought a DFX and I have only found around a dozen silver with it in 4 years. So I will say if the coil is not over the silver you will not find it. Just keep hunting and you will find it when it is there....Matt

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
I have bought a DFX and I have only found around a dozen silver with it in 4 years.

Obviously you are doing something wrong. Seriously. You are in Ohio. It is loaded with history. Unless you only hunt like twice a year. You should have weeks where you find 12 silver. I had a 39 silver week just last fall in the state to your west. All from public parks.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
mlayers said:
I have bought a DFX and I have only found around a dozen silver with it in 4 years.

Obviously you are doing something wrong. Seriously. You are in Ohio. It is loaded with history. Unless you only hunt like twice a year. You should have weeks where you find 12 silver. I had a 39 silver week just last fall in the state to your west. All from public parks.

Silver count isn't everything because I only found about 5 last year. ;D At least I hope it's not everything. :wink:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when hunting for silver its at the "high" end of the disc scale -- copper is too -- if only wanting to find old copper coins --old silver and clad coins (mainly copper) -- you need to not use notch but rather use disc mode instead-- get a sample coin of the type / types you want to find - turn your disc knob up as high as possible --wave over coins spaced a bit apart -- then as your waving it over said coins slowly bring it down disc level wize until all the coins --"ring" up -- once they do --stop. you now have you "disc level" set for what you want to find -- "factory" notches can be set too high at times --better to "hand set" your disc level.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
bscofield6 said:
mlayers said:

Silver count isn't everything because I only found about 5 last year. ;D At least I hope it's not everything. :wink:

You are a whole different breed, though. ;)

I've been field hunting all week. No silver yet, haha. My buddy dug a nice seated half last week, so I think he got all of the silver out of the ground for the both of us.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
I started with a Bounty Hunter and dug many older coins, I did get a gold coin which is in the best of tnet section (under the user ID the pete).

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
I also just posted about the book I wrote that deals with hunting with Bounty Hunter machines, it is also in this section.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
thewatchers said:
I currently use a bounty hunter sharp shooter 2 with a 10 and 8 inch coil. Well this year I'm really hitting it hard in hopes of finally finding my first silver. I have searched several promising spots, even some dating back to the mid 1800s. I have found lots of clad, 1 ring and various other items including a few 20's wheats. Nothing has been majorly deep other than large items. Now I only use notch and auto notch when I detect cause with all metal mode, my detector will only make one tone and there is just much trash to use. I was wondering if I will need to just upgrade to a higher grade detector to start scoring old coins like everyone else on here or do you think its just cause i haven't swung over any goodies yet? Open to any suggestions.

Bounty hunters are great machines, they have amazing depth. The cheapest detectors do the same exact thing as the most expensive ones. It's just the higher priced ones have tons of bells and whistles and a recharge pack. I had a BH - Quick silver and found a 1936 merc, 1914 wheat, 1800's blank draped bust large cent, 10K/ruby ring, 1800's belt buckle, etc. Found the merc at 7", and the belt buckle at 11".

If you aren't detecting over silver, you won't find any. There may not be any in the area or someone else has already dug it.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I have a Bounty Hunter. I am also new to metal detecting. I have found some gold rings, some wheaties, and a 2 cent piece. I will find silver with my BH. Are there other machines that are better? Yup. Can I afford one? Yup. Do I need one? Nope.

Metal detecting is like fishing. Find a good spot. Plan your approach. Put your time in.

I used to fly fish with three hand tied black ants, cut offs, and Chuck Taylor hightops. Routinely, the Orvis catalog models 30 feet from me would set down their $1000 outfits to tell me I was wasting my time without the"proper" equipment.

After each fish I would wade right over to them and release the fish in front of their part of the stream.

They would usually leave after the second or third one.

Moral of the story. It is the operator, not the equipment.

-Fathead

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
fathead

while its true that one doesn't have to have the most costly gear out there to enjoy ones sport --be it metal detecting , fishing or hunting --having good gear never hurts .

the problem lots of folks got is outdoors error #1 -- buying expensive gear will make up for their lack of skills . (dead wrong 100%)

which leads to outdoors error #2 -- them thinking folks who do not have "said" costly gear do not "know" what their doing , due to their lack of costly gear.

which causes outdoor mistake #3 smugness --my stuff is better than your stuff , thus I will catch more fish , shoot more whatever or find more goodies than you * ( wrongo )-- this is where "skill and experance " steps in and which is why a old timer with a decent BH can most of the time whip the pee out of a whipper snapper with a brand new all the bells and whistle "high dollar" machine that doesn't "knows" his machine yet ) now in equally skilled hands will a better machine produce better results --it should -- but not everyone needs a 1000 + buck machine --honestly are you going to use it often enough to jusify spending 1000 + bucks on one? --with a 250 to 300 machine 1 or 2 gold rings and you have paid for it -- how many rings you gotta find to "pay off" a 1000 + machine at say $125 -150 scrap each? 7 or 8 ?

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
ivan salis said:
fathead

while its true that one doesn't have to have the most costly gear out there to enjoy ones sport --be it metal detecting , fishing or hunting --having good gear never hurts .

the problem lots of folks got is outdoors error #1 -- buying expensive gear will make up for their lack of skills . (dead wrong 100%)

which leads to outdoors error #2 -- them thinking folks who do not have "said" costly gear do not "know" what their doing , due to their lack of costly gear.

which causes outdoor mistake #3 smugness --my stuff is better than your stuff , thus I will catch more fish , shoot more whatever or find more goodies than you * ( wrongo )-- this is where "skill aqnd experance " steps in and which is why a old timer with a decent BH can most of the time whip the pee out of a whipper snapper with a brand new all the bells and whistle "high dollar" machine ) now in equally skilled hands will a better machine product better results --it should -- but not everyone needs a 1000 buck machine --honestly are you going to use it often enough to jusify spending 1000 bucks on one? --with a 250 to 300 machine 1 or 2 gold rings and you have paid for it -- how many rings you gotta find to "pay off" a 1000 machine at say $125 -150 scrap each? 7 or 8 ?

Ivan, very true. I have also had my backside handed to me by guys with high dollar gear. It is funny that they never once felt the need to tell me that my gear was the reason. They might give a pointer on my cast or my placement or my fly selection/size, but never on how much mt
my gear cost.

Have a great Easter.

The egg hunt is over so I'm going to hit the soccer fields.

-FH

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
those with both high dollar gear and skills * normally have "class" and "style" as welll something you can not "buy" at the store, you gotta learn it and earn it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread