Bounty Hunters???

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently use a bounty hunter sharp shooter 2 with a 10 and 8 inch coil. Well this year I'm really hitting it hard in hopes of finally finding my first silver. I have searched several promising spots, even some dating back to the mid 1800s. I have found lots of clad, 1 ring and various other items including a few 20's wheats. Nothing has been majorly deep other than large items. Now I only use notch and auto notch when I detect cause with all metal mode, my detector will only make one tone and there is just much trash to use. I was wondering if I will need to just upgrade to a higher grade detector to start scoring old coins like everyone else on here or do you think its just cause i haven't swung over any goodies yet? Open to any suggestions.

Upvote 0

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I found two silver dimes last Friday with my Minelab. They were only about 5" down. I am positive that your BH would have had no problems finding either of those silvers.
The big difference I have noticed between an entry level BH and the upper end models is the confidence of what is down there because of the tones and sounds. Yes there are many detectors that go much deeper but many of the coins I find are within detection depth of what your using.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Then what you are saying if a detector only has one tone it is junk .... that is a new one to me also. To many detector snoobs out there.......

You're suggesting he change to a single tone machine to hunt his trashy parks? Maybe stay in the context of the thread instead of getting mad that your machine says "beep" on all metals and you have a blister on your discrim knob thumb. ;D

I'm not being snooby or snoby. Most people change to single tone when hunting an old house site filled with iron or a field with one target every 5 minutes because everything is considered good. If that's where you're hunting, then you only made that statement to incite an argument. If you're using a single tone machine in an 1800's park that is still open today, then you're digging an abundance of uneccessary holes, not finding much, and destroying the park.

So first, you call someone a clown, then you change the subject to talk about a goofy seeded hunt, then you show a machine using a Bounty Hunter 4" coil with a humongous nugget on it that a detector from Toys-R-Us could find. Even on the hopped up F4, that 4" coil only get about 4" of depth so what is special about that machine finding that nugget? If I dig 800 pulltabs, I'm bound to get a piece of gold. Does that mean my machine is awesome at finding gold? Of course not. Are you actually interested in helping the original poster here?

The gentleman that started this thread was asking if he should upgrade from his Sharp Shooter II (WITH concentric coils) because it seems to be not finding much in his trashy parks. You hijacked the thread to argue brand loyalty. You had no intention of helping him.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
single toned machines are fine for "dig it all" types that do not trust machinery to "think" and want to miss "nothing" at all -- most folks get bored of digging trash rapidly and are willing to miss something valuible say 5 % of the time to be able to rapidly hunt thru trash and not dig junk stuff much . -- it depends a lot upon your personiality make up as to whats best for you personally deyector wize 0-- theres a lot of factors that come into play -- what you can afford price wize --how often do you plan to use it (are you willing to invest a lot in it --to only use once in great while -or will you be using it alot thus its worth a " larger" investment ?) -- what is your "digging style" & mind set --dig it all or cherry picker ?

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
Then what you are saying if a detector only has one tone it is junk .... that is a new one to me also. To many detector snoobs out there.......

You're suggesting he change to a single tone machine to hunt his trashy parks? Maybe stay in the context of the thread instead of getting mad that your machine says "beep" on all metals and you have a blister on your discrim knob thumb. ;D

I'm not being snooby or snoby. Most people change to single tone when hunting an old house site filled with iron or a field with one target every 5 minutes because everything is considered good. If that's where you're hunting, then you only made that statement to incite an argument. If you're using a single tone machine in an 1800's park that is still open today, then you're digging an abundance of uneccessary holes, not finding much, and destroying the park.

So first, you call someone a clown, then you change the subject to talk about a goofy seeded hunt, then you show a machine using a Bounty Hunter 4" coil with a humongous nugget on it that a detector from Toys-R-Us could find. Even on the hopped up F4, that 4" coil only get about 4" of depth so what is special about that machine finding that nugget? If I dig 800 pulltabs, I'm bound to get a piece of gold. Does that mean my machine is awesome at finding gold? Of course not. Are you actually interested in helping the original poster here?

The gentleman that started this thread was asking if he should upgrade from his Sharp Shooter II (WITH concentric coils) because it seems to be not finding much in his trashy parks. You hijacked the thread to argue brand loyalty. You had no intention of helping him.

How many accounts do you have?

Do you have one for each personality ?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Shambler.....WHAT < Now you are telling me that ones that use single tone detectors are destroying our parks,,,,,,,,YOU ARE A DETECTOR SNOB.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees

Haha! That's a bit tiring not to mention so simple its like you might be a teen in his mom's basement trying to disrupt and hijack threads. Are you here to help people or just spew brand loyalty with no purpose? I PERSONALLY know 30 detectorists in Central Indiana, one of them is Mr. Scofield. You think MAYBE (JUST MAYBE) him and I are different people. Nahhhh, since you can't make a valid point, just call folks names and provide some misdirection.

Shambler.....WHAT < Now you are telling me that ones that use single tone detectors are destroying our parks,,,,,,,,YOU ARE A DETECTOR SNOB.

See, I tried to make some points actually related to the question at hand, which either you didn't or couldn't read. It's amazing that a grown human, can deduce some veiled, secret, conspiratorial meaning to a previous post and be so far off that they seem like a grade schooler. How's that for snobish?

I'm BEGGING all of you to use Bounty Hunters, that have a single tone, and you should use a 15" coil. PLEASE!!!!

Except of course the nice guy who started this thread asking for help. He can PM me if he's interested in having a civil conversation about electronics. I have no brand loyalty (in fact most of them stink so bad they should be embarassed to realease them - but a FEW are simply awesome considering the R&D budget at hand) I can surely tell him what I've seen work and what I've seen fail.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Shambler said:

Haha! That's a bit tiring not to mention so simple its like you might be a teen in his mom's basement trying to disrupt and hijack threads. Are you here to help people or just spew brand loyalty with no purpose? I PERSONALLY know 30 detectorists in Central Indiana, one of them is Mr. Scofield. You think MAYBE (JUST MAYBE) him and I are different people. Nahhhh, since you can't make a valid point, just call folks names and provide some misdirection.

See, I tried to make some points actually related to the question at hand, which either you didn't or couldn't read. It's amazing that a grown human, can deduce some veiled, secret, conspiratorial meaning to a previous post and be so far off that they seem like a grade schooler. How's that for snobish?

I'm BEGGING all of you to use Bounty Hunters, that have a single tone, and you should use a 15" coil. PLEASE!!!! Except of course the nice guy who started this thread asking for help. He can PM me if he's interested in having a civil conversation about electronics - which I happen to do for a living.
Well i hope you do electronitcs better than you get along with people.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Lot of arguements about BH products and I find them mostly ok. I started with a couple of Radio Shack's~ now
there is a low end machien~ and upgraded to a BH. Never found any silver with it but plenty of wheaty's.
I found that I'm kinda tone deaf and it helps me ALOT to have greater tone range and more information
on what I'm digging. Thats what better machiens do for me~ and I find silver as a result.
Its all in how you use it, where you use it and what you do to interprete what your digging.

There is no "class" in owning a better detector or top of the line unit..... Just a greater learning curve
and alot more work to get what you paid for it outta the ground *if your so minded*.

Have fun with those BH's I know I did.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:

I'm BEGGING all of you to use Bounty Hunters, that have a single tone, and you should use a 15" coil. PLEASE!!!!

Except of course the nice guy who started this thread asking for help. He can PM me if he's interested in having a civil conversation about electronics. I have no brand loyalty (in fact most of them stink so bad they should be embarassed to realease them - but a FEW are simply awesome considering the R&D budget at hand) I can surely tell him what I've seen work and what I've seen fail.

Typical multi-account, multi-personality response.

Like most lurkers you don't read the threads, just jump in and bang away on the keyboard.

I was serious about the park. The kids would love you.

Think of the benefits of getting out and providing a public service.

You missed a great opportunity this weekend.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Get a new machine. It really is that simple.

This was your first reply no matter what name you used.

This must of been very helpful to the original poster.

I am now bored with this thread and both of your alter ego's

I am moving on.

If you would like to continue this correspondence, send me a letter.

I love Pen Pals. :tongue3:

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
I have a BH QDII
You have just have to learn the machine you have....... I like mine.

HH

Mark

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thewatchers said:
I currently use a bounty hunter sharp shooter 2 with a 10 and 8 inch coil. Well this year I'm really hitting it hard in hopes of finally finding my first silver. I have searched several promising spots, even some dating back to the mid 1800s. I have found lots of clad, 1 ring and various other items including a few 20's wheats. Nothing has been majorly deep other than large items. Now I only use notch and auto notch when I detect cause with all metal mode, my detector will only make one tone and there is just much trash to use. I was wondering if I will need to just upgrade to a higher grade detector to start scoring old coins like everyone else on here or do you think its just cause i haven't swung over any goodies yet? Open to any suggestions.

Try this: bury a silver dime, a silver quarter, and a silver half dollar. Bury them a foot or two apart. The dime at 2" the quarter at 3" and the half at 4" depth. See if your detector can find them...........If it does then you have your answer. (hint... try different settings until you do) Once you know your detector can find silver, try deeper depths until the signals disappear, now you know about how deep your detector will go for silver. (you will have to go all metal no discrimination to get a signal at the deepest depths.)

This is not as easy as finding coins that have been in the ground for years, because of the halo effect that takes place after years of mineralizing the surrounding soil. Those same coins should be able to be detected several inches deeper after years of burial than freshly buried ones. Damp soil also helps. *note older coins are usually found deeper. (6-10 inches) That's why all metal mode is recommended for them when using a less expensive detector (You get more depth in all metal mode using no discrimination) The high priced detectors will allow discrimination at the deeper depths..... that's what you are paying for.

The 10" coil is better at finding larger targets buried deeper, such as caches of coins and such. Your 8" is a good all around coil for coins and smaller items. I also use a 4" coil for coin shooting in all metal mode, no discrimination, for increased depth. The smaller 4" coil is easier to use in tight and/or trashy areas.

If you want to find the deeper coins with a Bounty Hunter, then you have to use all metal mode (to get the depth) and be ready to also dig more pull tabs. Headphones will allow you to hear the weaker deeper signals, do not underestimate their value in assisting to hear the deeper coins.

Hope this helps,

GG~

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
Try this: bury a silver dime, a silver quarter, and a silver half dollar. Bury them a foot or two apart. The dime at 2" the quarter at 3" and the half at 4" depth. See if your detector can find them...........If it does then you have your answer. (hint... try different settings until you do)

Seriously? You need to try different settings until you can hear a dime at 2" and a half at 4"? For real? The machine should hear these at the worst settings possible. I think you just made the argument for everybody to sell their BHs.

If you want a test, bury the dime at 6", quarter at 8", and half at 10". If they aren't OBVIOUS signals, then you should upgrade.

Then once you get a nicer machine, bury the dime at 8", quarter at 10", and the half at 12". They should all still come in loud and clear.

Most of the silver I find is at least 6" deep. And they range down to about 9" deep. Sometimes I will find something closer to 10" if the conditions are right and I'm going slow enough and I'm not checking out the latest girl that is running / walking within a quarter mile of me.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
GoodyGuy said:
Try this: bury a silver dime, a silver quarter, and a silver half dollar. Bury them a foot or two apart. The dime at 2" the quarter at 3" and the half at 4" depth. See if your detector can find them...........If it does then you have your answer. (hint... try different settings until you do)

Seriously? You need to try different settings until you can hear a dime at 2" and a half at 4"? For real? The machine should hear these at the worst settings possible. I think you just made the argument for everybody to sell their BHs.

If you want a test, bury the dime at 6", quarter at 8", and half at 10". If they aren't OBVIOUS signals, then you should upgrade.

Then once you get a nicer machine, bury the dime at 8", quarter at 10", and the half at 12". They should all still come in loud and clear.

Most of the silver I find is at least 6" deep. And they range down to about 9" deep. Sometimes I will find something closer to 10" if the conditions are right and I'm going slow enough and I'm not checking out the latest girl that is running / walking within a quarter mile of me.

I wasn't going for the maximum depth test....... just an easy test so that he could see that his detector could in fact find silver ......and the only reason that he hasn't so far is because his detector hasn't been swung over any. Unless of course it is defective and my simple test would show that.

*I have found silver much deeper than the simple test I outlined above and I am sure other Bounty Hunter users have as well. But thanks for your input anyway.

GG~

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
*Seriously? bscofield6 your detector can't be adjusted to discriminate silver even if you wanted to ?

What? Please rephrase that so it makes some sense.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
GoodyGuy said:
*Seriously? bscofield6 your detector can't be adjusted to discriminate silver even if you wanted to ?

Sorry........ guess it only made sense to me because I knew what I meant.

When you said:
bscofield6 said:
"Seriously? You need to try different settings until you can hear a dime at 2" and a half at 4"? For real? The machine should hear these at the worst settings possible."

I believe that at the worst settings possible on a Bounty Hunter no silver would be detectable.

So I was asking because of your statement:
*rephrased
Seriously? bscofield6 you cant adjust your detector to notch out silver even if you wanted to ?

GG~

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
bscofield6 said:
GoodyGuy said:

Sorry........ guess it only made sense to me because I knew what I meant.

When you said:
bscofield6 said:
"Seriously? You need to try different settings until you can hear a dime at 2" and a half at 4"? For real? The machine should hear these at the worst settings possible."

I believe that at the worst settings possible on a Bounty Hunter no silver would be detectable.

So I was asking because of your statement:
*rephrased
Seriously? bscofield6 you cant adjust your detector to notch out silver even if you wanted to ?

GG~

I guess I could completely notch it out, but it would take a lot of effort on my part to notch them out. It's not something simple like clicking on a button and *poof*, it's gone.

But seriously, if people want to upgrade to a better machine, why not let them instead of arguing against it?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
I guess I could completely notch it out, but it would take a lot of effort on my part to notch them out. It's not something simple like clicking on a button and *poof*, it's gone.

But seriously, if people want to upgrade to a better machine, why not let them instead of arguing against it?

I was simply offering suggestions and information about finding silver with his current detector, without suggesting he spend more money to upgrade.

After all, in his original post he stated that he was "open for any suggestions".
Sorry if my suggestions did not meet with your approval.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread